The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I don't completely ignore the modules I'm not good at, but if I'm sure that no amount of serious work will get me through the module, then I tend to concentrate on my other modules so I do super well in them and it counteracts the effects of doing really badly in others :smile:
at my uni you have to pass each module so ignoring one wouldn't help.
Reply 3
LOL. I did that.:s-smilie: Wouldn't really recommend it.

Not a good idea really, you end up failing that module, and it drags your grade down.

If possible, don't get in that situation in the first place:s-smilie:
Reply 4
Never tried it, but it doesn't sound good at all.
Reply 5
I'm starting to consider it as I really have no clue wtf one of my modules is about.
With maths its possible to get away with ignoring the difficult chunks of the exam, or at least not learning them in depth, as long as you examine the exam system closely.
I'm sure lots of people have tried it, but it is not a very good idea. Much better to just put in the extra effort. You're just trying to justify not working on something you don't understand.
left one of mine till last minute and got 55%...although im not doing that again, not such a good idea really :no:
Reply 9
It's much easier to get 80% in one module and 20% in another then to get 100% in one and 0% in another.
Reply 10
When I was in uni, if a module was really difficult/didn't like it I would just study enough to pass it and then spend most of the time studying for the other modules as much as I could. In your final year though where resits were not allowed this might be a bad move.
Reply 11
I always do the hardest module first. There's no point spending hours doing the easy modules that you are already competent in, you might as well invest that time in doing the harder modules. I read that Lance Armstrong use to always train really hard on the hills and basically do the things that his competitors would avoid, so that he could compete successfully in the Tour De France.

If you find something difficult, it's very rarely due to a lack of ability, it's usually because the teacher isn't very good or maybe you just need a little more time on the subject/need to approach it in a different way.

I've always struggled with Maths but it was mainly due to poor teaching, a lack of self-esteem and confidence. If you think you can't do a subject, then you very rarely bother to try. Since leaving school though, I've gone back to college and got my Adult Numeracy Certificate Level One and Level Two. I'm currently enrolled on a GCSE course at night college and I'm really getting to grips with the subject now because I have better teachers, I'm more motivated and I have self-belief.
Did that a few times (grr Fourier analysis :mad:) but I didnt ignore the whole module. The first half of a lecture course usually isnt that hard i.e when theyre just doing the introduction and havent gone into any real depth. If you just learn that bit properly you might be able to get %30-40 which isnt a problem if you do well in everything else.

Have you really not got enough time to sit down and get your head around the module thats confusing you? Its amazing how much work you can do if you dont mind sacrificing a little bit of sleep and social life for a month or so. The risk is that its something youre going to have to undertand in order to understand the stuff you do later.
iwwhty
I always do the hardest module first. There's no point spending hours doing the easy modules that you are already competent in, you might as well invest that time in doing the harder modules. I read that Lance Armstrong use to always train really hard on the hills and basically do the things that his competitors would avoid, so that he could compete successfully in the Tour De France.

If you find something difficult, it's very rarely due to a lack of ability, it's usually because the teacher isn't very good or maybe you just need a little more time on the subject/need to approach it in a different way.

I've always struggled with Maths but it was mainly due to poor teaching, a lack of self-esteem and confidence. If you think you can't do a subject, then you very rarely bother to try. Since leaving school though, I've gone back to college and got my Adult Numeracy Certificate Level One and Level Two. I'm currently enrolled on a GCSE course at night college and I'm really getting to grips with the subject now because I have better teachers, I'm more motivated and I have self-belief.
That's a good attitude. There are many more variables that go towards exam grades than intelligence.

Hope your GCSE course goes well.
Reply 14
did that in both sems last year... ditched the hardest modules (network analysis in 1st, analog electronics in second) and concentrated on the rest, maths in particular..ended up with a pretty decent average of 67 (considering that it doesn't count in the degree)...
Reply 15
jismith1989
That's a good attitude. There are many more variables that go towards exam grades than intelligence.

Hope your GCSE course goes well.

Thanks. I'm aiming to turn my GCSE grade E achieved at High School in to an A*. It's a tall order but I'm really motivated and committed to it. At the end of the day, the course is costing me £333 so I have to get my money's worth! Even if I fall short and just get a C or a B, it's still much better than an E.
Nope - we have to take 4 modules per semester and you have to pass a first year mod in order to take it at 2nd year (and have to pass the second year mods to take it at 3rd year) so if you fail one in first/second year you can't pick modules for the subsequent year - and then you're pretty much fecked. So unfortunately, I can't use that stategy.
Reply 17
Horrible strategy because it assumes it's easier to raise your grades high enough to discount another. The marking system doesn't work that way.

Getting something from 65% to 75% is way, way harder than getting something 30% to 50%
Reply 18
as long as there's time, I wouldn't feel good ignoring any module.
Reply 19
halfoflessthan50p
Did that a few times (grr Fourier analysis :mad:) but I didnt ignore the whole module. The first half of a lecture course usually isnt that hard i.e when theyre just doing the introduction and havent gone into any real depth. If you just learn that bit properly you might be able to get %30-40 which isnt a problem if you do well in everything else.

Have you really not got enough time to sit down and get your head around the module thats confusing you? Its amazing how much work you can do if you dont mind sacrificing a little bit of sleep and social life for a month or so. The risk is that its something youre going to have to undertand in order to understand the stuff you do later.

I have no hope, the prerequisites for this module is fourier analysis, z-tranforms, filters etc. I have never done that **** before!! The course is super condensed as well (its a multi-discipline and ive never done biology/chemistry before either.. Not whining i know its my own supertard fault for choosing an msc in bioelectronic eng)

glad to see a few other folk have done the same thing though

Latest

Trending

Trending