The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I don't have a copy of the criteria with me but I can give you some general tips:

- Pick a good title that's wide (and interesting) enough to fill 1500 words, but not one so vague that you either don't answer the question properly or struggle to keep to the word limit. Keep it specific, but with plenty of scope to expand on your argument. Also make sure that it's a literary essay - it may be terrifically interesting and technically sound, but if you're not discussing literary features it won't score you high marks. As you're writing a WL 1 essay, make sure the topic relates equally well to both texts, or the essay will look unbalanced.

- Make sure your spelling and grammar are immaculate, and that your style/vocabulary are appropriate for a formal essay.

- Reference quotes correctly and consistently, and make sure they support the point you're making. Remember SEX - Statement Evidence eXplanation - so you make a point, reference or paraphrase from the text to back up your point, and explain why the point is relevant and how the quote supports it. If possible, find other sources (not just the texts in question) to support your argument.

Good luck! Feel free to PM me if you need any more help.
schnargle
I don't have a copy of the criteria with me but I can give you some general tips:

- Pick a good title that's wide (and interesting) enough to fill 1500 words, but not one so vague that you either don't answer the question properly or struggle to keep to the word limit. Keep it specific, but with plenty of scope to expand on your argument. Also make sure that it's a literary essay - it may be terrifically interesting and technically sound, but if you're not discussing literary features it won't score you high marks. As you're writing a WL 1 essay, make sure the topic relates equally well to both texts, or the essay will look unbalanced.

- Make sure your spelling and grammar are immaculate, and that your style/vocabulary are appropriate for a formal essay.

- Reference quotes correctly and consistently, and make sure they support the point you're making. Remember SEX - Statement Evidence eXplanation - so you make a point, reference or paraphrase from the text to back up your point, and explain why the point is relevant and how the quote supports it. If possible, find other sources (not just the texts in question) to support your argument.

Good luck! Feel free to PM me if you need any more help.

I disagree with this:
1) you have a very tight word count
2) if anything it reduces your chances of 'independent thought' marks
3) external sources shouldn't be able to tell you anything you can't find already; if it read too much into the text, the examiner will probably cast a suspicious eye on the source.

It would be useful to read sparknotes or something similar on your texts, to freshen up your analyses.. but don't use them and ignore individual analysis.

TIPS:

1. Formulate a research question. make it very precise and answerable. make it focused and detailed enough.

2. Research your question. read the texts over (hopefully you have some notes). write down any quotes related to your topic (or if there are lots, just striking or exemplary quotes). How is your question different for both books? (e.g. i did unreliable narration in two books, but the methods employed were different)

3. Make an outline: not a vague, idealistic outline. get your points on paper. to do this, you should try to organize your quotes/proof by aspects and integrating the two books. Divide the outline into paragraphs. write out the introductory and conclusive sentence. in between put your quotes, their relevance and the literary aspects employed.

4. Expand this outline. Explain the quotes v. well (emphasizing literary features and their effects) to get higher marks. DON'T paraphrase or state something without quotes to back it up. (try to run it by your teacher in case there are any major pitfalls)

5. You should have a draft. read over it. is it a good argument? is there any weak point? how is my spelling/diction? I recommend reading and rereading and rereading this essay. leave it for a week. read it again. have your peers read it and criticize it.

6. You'll have something similar to a final draft. Quickly look over it and edit any noticeable things. Hand it into your teacher for revision.

7. Improve on any comments. Have a friend read over it. reread it. hand it in :wink:

It's the good way to write an easy 10 or 20% of your grade.
Reply 3
wow, thank you so much for that!!

Latest

Trending

Trending