The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
to make the point as simple as possible -

A 'typical job' in medicine (which is as a GP, a job you'd never do) isnt enough to put you off a job in medicine that you might want more.

Yet a 'typical office job' is enough to put you off all office based jobs including working for Alan Sugar and Mercedes Mclaren and thousands of other excellent roles that dont even approach that level but are still very engaging.

i dont fink theres any way of spelling the problem out any clearer than that.
Reply 41
Gizmo!
'first learn to spell' so that you can pick a job properly? lol. UMM no need, you understood PERFECTLY well what i wrote first time. quit stalling macca, i am doing this for your own good.

it would would it? it wouldnt bore me, for one, and probably most of this forum. i dont fink you ave any idea what a decent PR job would entail, if you fink its boring.

no they dont. categorically, they dont.
BUT u am glad you ave your other reasons to do medicine, becos 'cos i dont want to work in a typical office job' is CATERGORICALLY a DUFF reason.

no, i am challenging YOUR failed logic. if this is a problem for you, you can wiffdraw your consent at any time, macca.

If you can pretend to misunderstand me or ignore certain phrases so can I. Not that I actually have.

And that's good for you that it wouldn't bore you. But unfortunately any job requiring me to sit down for long hours at a desk is yawnworthy. Which is essentially what an office job involves 'in general'.

And also not wanting to work in an office isn't a reason I have for wanting to do Medicine. It's just a given that I'm not going to work in an office because I have that choice.

But where's the failed logic exactly? I thought you were arguing against my statement that office jobs are 'in general' boring. In which case my responses as to why I think they are boring have been perfectly logical.

And as for why I'm choosing Medicine despite the vast amount of GP jobs, I still don't see the flaw in my logic. GP = Desk job. Office = Desk job. Hospital doctor = not a desk job. Pretty simple. And being a hospital doctor is very appealing for me which is why I'm doing Medicine. And if you want me to make it even clearer, working in an office job for McClaren or Sir Alan Sugar or whatever is also not particularly appealing which pretty much eliminates office jobs. I don't find ANY office job exciting. Yet I find a particular job in Medicine extremely exciting. Hence my very logical decision to do Medicine.
Reply 42
Scrubby
If you can pretend to misunderstand me or ignore certain phrases so can I. Not that I actually have.

And that's good for you that it wouldn't bore you. But unfortunately any job requiring me to sit down for long hours at a desk is yawnworthy. Which is essentially what an office job involves 'in general'.

And also not wanting to work in an office isn't a reason I have for wanting to do Medicine. It's just a given that I'm not going to work in an office because I have that choice.

But where's the failed logic exactly? I thought you were arguing against my statement that office jobs are 'in general' boring. In which case my responses as to why I think they are boring have been perfectly logical.

And as for why I'm choosing Medicine despite the vast amount of GP jobs, I still don't see the flaw in my logic. GP = Desk job. Office = Desk job. Hospital doctor = not a desk job. Pretty simple. And being a hospital doctor is very appealing for me which is why I'm doing Medicine. And if you want me to make it even clearer, working in an office job for McClaren or Sir Alan Sugar or whatever is also not particularly appealing which pretty much eliminates office jobs. I don't find ANY office job exciting. Yet I find a particular job in Medicine extremely exciting. Hence my very logical decision to do Medicine.

Why are you capitalising medicine, no need.
oi guys guys! enough of the arguing! and is there much point asking this question anyway because most peoples answers are too long and complex and unknown to type out :P
Reply 44
Scrubby
Hospital doctor = not a desk job.
The only way it's not a desk job is that I have to share my desk with two doctors, a PA and a nurse.
Reply 45
medics are kinda engineers i reckon.

you dont seem ave any idea what office jobs can be like, macca, thats all.

But where's the failed logic exactly?
many office jobs arent 'typical office jobs' of drudgery chained to a desk. at the best one i did, i spent about 5% of the day at my desk, and rarely sat down except to chat to other staff and visitors.

i do appreciate that its not your real reason for choosing medicine, whilst its not a real reason for not choosing an office job, mind.
Reply 46
Ataloss
In answer to your question - fit nurses. :p:

Oh, you'rei n for one hell'uva surprise :wink:

Save for Abi Titmuss (Barts and the London FTW)
I always saw myself as Turk from Scrubs...

Seriously.

:nothing:
what office job has this as your desk

Reply 49
I am not yet a doc neither am i a med student but i'ld like 2 study medicine coz
It feels right
It gives me high status
i LOVE biology and chemistry is alright
I like doing BIG/TOUGH stuff
I dunno if these are good reasons but they are my reasons...i wld be glad if anyone can tell me if they're good reasons or not.
Good enough as anyone.
E-man 07
I am not yet a doc neither am i a med student but i'ld like 2 study medicine coz
It feels right
It gives me high status
I dunno if these are good reasons but they are my reasons...i wld be glad if anyone can tell me if they're good reasons or not.

:eek3:
Witty Username
:eek3:

Frankly, at least he is being honest. A lot of people just BS with the whole " I want to help people bla bla".
E-man 07
It feels right
It gives me high status

the hidden reasons of med applicants behind all the love and care xD.
digitalis
Frankly, at least he is being honest. A lot of people just BS with the whole " I want to help people bla bla".

I suppose so! Was just a little alarmed at the honesty :rolleyes:
Witty Username
I suppose so! Was just a little alarmed at the honesty :rolleyes:

How so?
RobbieC
Interesting. I expected a few people to come in and say how their experience of having cancer or knowing someone who passed from cancer or some other chronic disease motivated them.

It's just I wouldn't expect these answers to fly in an interview situation really... the majority of them.

I actually want to become a doctor because of the unending challenges it presents. The work would never be complete, as it were, because you're the part of something that is larger than you can fully appreciate.

Real reasons and those given in interview will always be notably different in many cases.

An interview is an opportunity to tick more boxes for whatever agenda one has.

Wanting to do medicine because it combines working both science and people is a far more better point scorer than saying "did well at science, thus it was the logical thing to go for, even though I cant stand people".
Reply 57
It's more of an experience to why I want to become a doctor than a reason: (The REAL reason)

One day I was riding to school on my scooter and all of a sudden I heard an ambulance siren. I could not see. I could only hear it. I knew I had to get out of the way, to help this person, I could be responsible for his death/life with my road actions. I had to help this man! As the abulance passed a sigh of relief schocked my body; I only wished with a burning desire that I could've done more. Then I realised something; I could! I could become a doctor that no one thought I could, I could save this man's life and I could bring the sigh of relief I felt after helping that man upon myself again.

Aaanyway... would they like that at an interview? Or should I lie and just say I like the way science and people interlink with ever changing dynamics, probems, etc etc etc?
Darkworld
It's more of an experience to why I want to become a doctor than a reason: (The REAL reason)

One day I was riding to school on my scooter and all of a sudden I heard an ambulance siren. I could not see. I could only hear it. I knew I had to get out of the way, to help this person, I could be responsible for his death/life with my road actions. I had to help this man! As the abulance passed a sigh of relief schocked my body; I only wished with a burning desire that I could've done more. Then I realised something; I could! I could become a doctor that no one thought I could, I could save this man's life and I could bring the sigh of relief I felt after helping that man upon myself again.

Aaanyway... would they like that at an interview? Or should I lie and just say I like the way science and people interlink with ever changing dynamics, probems, etc etc etc?

In four years of TSR, honestly, that is the funniest **** I have ever read.
Darkworld

Its certinally erm different.

Latest