Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Ultimate Football Thread VII

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 12 followers

I would dearly love to hear Robbie's opinion on the Torres bobbled mess tonight.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rock Fan)
    I would dearly love to hear Robbie's opinion on the Torres bobbled mess tonight.
    Not one to talk considering your game plan consisted of launching balls towards Carew.
    • 12 followers

Looks like Portsmouth will fail to pay their players on time again.http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news...cle269885.html
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Villa bottled it. Doesn't look like they will be finished ahead of Liverpool as I expected.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Megson has been sacked. Bolton are a bit of a joke of a club. Who the **** do they think they are? Do they really think they can do much better, given their finances? What decent manager will really want to take over at Bolton?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by white_haired_wizard)
    Megson has been sacked. Bolton are a bit of a joke of a club. Who the **** do they think they are? Do they really think they can do much better, given their finances? What decent manager will really want to take over at Bolton?
    They couldn't do much worse than Megson. They've gone through two years without progress. They probably can't do much better than Megson unless they take a gamble, but they would be lucky to finish above 17th if Megson stayed in charge. Worth the risk, IMO. Just look what Fulham did with Hodgson.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just heard about Megson. With two games in hand he could easily get out of the drop zone tbh. Don't see why he has been sacked.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deshi)
    Just heard about Megson. With two games in hand he could easily get out of the drop zone tbh. Don't see why he has been sacked.
    Because after spending about £40m on players they shouldn't be in the same (or worse) position than when he took over, and playing worse football.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    They had a solid enough team to expect to be around 12th I think. Key players have faded away for them, and the sale of Nolan was nuts... a turning point imho.

I did like Megson though, good British laddo.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobbieC)
    They had a solid enough team to expect to be around 12th I think. Key players have faded away for them, and the sale of Nolan was nuts... a turning point imho.

I did like Megson though, good British laddo.
    Believe me, Nolan wasn't Premiership quality when they sold him.

Megson did fairly well in the transfer market, signing guys like Cahill and Steinsson (with the odd failure, most notably Elmander), but the guy was inept tactically and needed to go. They do have a decent team, good enough to stay up over quite a few teams, but I think it's a good decision to get rid of Megson.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stu Laverty)
    Because after spending about £40m on players they shouldn't be in the same (or worse) position than when he took over, and playing worse football.
    Oh right, that's fair enough then, didn't know that he had spent that much tbh.

Edit: Just out of interest, how is Joey Barton doing at Newcastle? I just read his little otburst on the BBC and was wondering if he has imporved at all/ doesn't commit as many rash fouls as before?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deshi)
    Oh right, that's fair enough then, didn't know that he had spent that much tbh.
    Me neither, until someone told me about it earlier. I've always been a bit baffled by the hatred that Megson got from Bolton fans but it makes a bit more sense now.

Edit: Just out of interest, how is Joey Barton doing at Newcastle? I just read his little otburst on the BBC and was wondering if he has imporved at all/ doesn't commit as many rash fouls as before?
    He's barely played this season (due to the Nolan/Smith partnership and injury [as always]). We've got lots of central midfielders with Guthrie, Butt, Nolan and Smith and I'd only play Barton ahead of Butt from that list. Barton is obviously a very talented player, probably one of our best along with Nolan, Taylor and Smith, but he's obviously a disruption to the team. He's getting better at not doing rash tackles, but like we saw at Liverpool last season at Anfield he can play very tidily for 70 minutes and go through one minute of madness and get sent off.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    MAnchester United are set to make it 99 games without a settled team tonight.

Wheres the mass hysteria in the papers about how it doesnt work?

Or Man City - with 2 back to back Clean sheets - defending zonally.

That Rafa eh and his mad ways.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DontBuyTheSun)
    MAnchester United are set to make it 99 games without a settled team tonight.

Wheres the mass hysteria in the papers about how it doesnt work?

Or Man City - with 2 back to back Clean sheets - defending zonally.

That Rafa eh and his mad ways.
    I don't think it helps that Rio gets injured just looking at a football.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Is there a more biased co-commentator than this Alan Smith guy on Sky Sports? He bums Arsenal hard and some of the words he uses to describe Arsenal are amazingly superlative that it's just funny.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why the **** did Bolton sack Megson? Seems so stupid, especially as they have 2 games in hand, with the potential of winning those and possibly going up to 10th (or 12th..)..

Granted, the 2 fixtures in hand might be toughies, but still.. Idiots.

Also found it stupid how City sacked Hughes for Mancini. Oh well..
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    it was pretty stupid, nobody to replace him with (unless Mourinho DESPERATELY wants to go back to the Premier League).

But these stupid sackings have been going on for a couple of years now, probably even longer.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colonel Brusnahan)
    it was pretty stupid, nobody to replace him with (unless Mourinho DESPERATELY wants to go back to the Premier League).

But these stupid sackings have been going on for a couple of years now, probably even longer.
    Hughes, Hart & Megson have been totally stupid sackings. Hughes more then both of them i reckon. He wasn't doing THAT bad a job, ok a few draws but hey could've been worse, they could be Liverpool... Maybe then he should have got the boot.

Mourinho at Bolton, he could do what Harry Redknapp has done at Spurs.. Turn them into a potential CL team.. :yep:

Would be a funny sight. Next season Mourinho in charge of Bolton, CL football, getting to the final to play Chelsea..

:rofl:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Rangers beat Dundee United 7 goals to 1 ahead of sunday's Old Firm Derby. Kris Boyd scores 5 of these to take his SPL goal tally to 160, surpassing the great Henrik Larsson's record of 158.

The 7-1 despatch of the fourth team in the table adds to a tremendous goal scoring spree of the five previous games prior to this, with scores of: 1-4; 6-1;3-0; 3-0; 1-3. These see rangers scoring 26 goals in 6 games (conceding 4), whilst closest city rivals Celtic, who have had defensive problems of late, have only bagged 13 goals in the last 6 games (conceding 7), losing two of these.

Where do we think these stats leave Celtic for the Sunday Derby? Do we think they may be flapping a bit? Nervous, with less confidence? Do we think that Rangers will come out with a complacent attitude?

I personally could't say, as Old Firm games have a history of being unpredictable, but I don't think the last few fixtures do any favours to Celtic whatsoever. A small confidence boost for the Celtic camp will be the sending off tonight, of Kenny Miller who is currently the second top goal scorer in the league and part of the recent, formidable strike partnership with Kris Boyd.
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm worried, I'll be honest. Not happy about The King of Kings' record being beaten. It doesn't look good, but I'm hoping the crowd will spur us on. That's assuming they turn up that is, we haven't had the best attendance this season.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 17, 2014
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered football threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.