Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Ultimate Football Thread VII

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Was their friendly decided before or after they were eliminated from the World Cup qualifiers?

Also, have requested the handbag smiley for added wummage potential. :coma:

What about a crumble smiley? :awesome:
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn-er)
    About the whole Terry/Bridge thing... does no-one else think that Bridge is getting his own back on Terry? I get the feeling that he's scheming something massive that'll affect Terry quite bad... namely, another massive witch-hunt when the world cup comes along..

He's pulled out of the world cup squad, because of Terry. John Terry has now weakened the squad. If England do badly in the world cup, the blame will be directed at John Terry who will be accused of causing 'squad disharmony' and damaging the team's chances of winning.

Bridge could've set it all to bed by shaking Terry's hand at the weekend, 'forgiving' him and letting this die down, but it looks like it'll all come to the fore again soon enough.
    I think everyone is looking into this affair far too much, tbh. I'm sure Bridge has more pressing matters on his mind rather than playing some kind of psychological warfare/mindgames with Terry, e.g. looking after the child he had with Veronica wotshername. Had I been in Bridge's shoes, there's no way on earth I'd have shaken Terry's hand. Maybe some people can separate the private (now very public, rofl) from the sporting arena/the day job but meh, I couldn't. For me, it would almost represent a forgiveness, an acceptance. Well **** that, I'd be pissed off with Terry. I'd want to nut him, certainly not shake his hand. He showed impressive self-restraint tbh, gave Mr Chelsea the eye, didn't pussy out of that and didn't shake the outstretched hand. He was the winner that day, his team won and thoroughly raped Chelsea, with Terry having yet another stinker of a game.

* looking into the affair far too much, tbh ; )
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Was their friendly decided before or after they were eliminated from the World Cup qualifiers?

Also, have requested the handbag smiley for added wummage potential. :coma:

What about a crumble smiley? :awesome:
    It's the consolation prize.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevmeister)
    It's the consolation prize.
    You watching the game Kev?

Ireland are unlucky.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deshi)
    You watching the game Kev?

Ireland are unlucky.
    Yep, online with no sound due to computer issues.

Indeed, an Andrews OG. Very good account of ourselves thus far.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn-er)
    About the whole Terry/Bridge thing... does no-one else think that Bridge is getting his own back on Terry? I get the feeling that he's scheming something massive that'll affect Terry quite bad... namely, another massive witch-hunt when the world cup comes along..

He's pulled out of the world cup squad, because of Terry. John Terry has now weakened the squad. If England do badly in the world cup, the blame will be directed at John Terry who will be accused of causing 'squad disharmony' and damaging the team's chances of winning.

Bridge could've set it all to bed by shaking Terry's hand at the weekend, 'forgiving' him and letting this die down, but it looks like it'll all come to the fore again soon enough.
    That seems to be reading too much into it, tbh; Bridge isn't some sort of evil genius who's plotting Terry's gradual downfall, he's just pissed off that he banged his ex. As far as I can see, he pulled out of the squad to prevent any witchhunts or reports of squad disharmony, not to make them worse. And really, he hasn't done anything wrong so there's no obligation on him to "set it all to bed", I think he's handled it quite well, considering...
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yep, online with no sound due to computer issues.

Indeed, an Andrews OG. Very good account of ourselves thus far.
    Yeah you guys have made a very good account of yourselves tbh. I was telling my little cousin to watch the game and said there would be load of goals expecting Ireland to get battered a bit but how wrong I've been :p:

Brazil have been a lot better in the second half but Irelands first half performance was veryy impressive stuff! I like the centre-back St.Ledger (spl?) I think.

Brazil's second goal was pretty ******* amazing though :coma:
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    McShane=Fail at international level. Very happy with that result, I have a feeling it would've been different if it was played in Dublin, ah well.

Yeah, St. Ledger...... I actually lived next door to Kelly, our RB tonight, still keep in touch with him.

Good second goal, nice assist from McShane. :facepalm2:
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    McShane is an awful player. Even for Hull's standards, I don't understand he gets a game. Although looking at Hull's team and seeing that he's competing with Sonko for a place, I can now understand.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Duff put in a decent shift tonight I thought, in the first half especially.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    McShane=Fail at international level. Very happy with that result, I have a feeling it would've been different if it was played in Dublin, ah well.

Yeah, St. Ledger...... I actually lived next door to Kelly, our RB tonight, still keep in touch with him.

Good second goal, nice assist from McShane. :facepalm2:
    Tbh this is the first time in god knows how many years I have watched Ireland play a full 90 minutes :o:

When France knocked you guys out from the qualifiers one of the reasons it didn't bother me much was because I didn't think you guys would do much in the World Cup, which was very ignorant of me at the time tbh. But after today, I could definately have seen you guys pulling some results out from the World Cup and its a shame you guys got knocked out tbh

First half especially you guys were controlling the ball and Brazil were mainly only dangerous on the counter-attack. Second half you guys drifted away though which was a shame...

Are you a very patriotic person? (i.e. do you follow Ireland's results very closely?)
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wata)
    Duff put in a decent shift tonight I thought, in the first half especially.
    Yeah, Duff is looking good, and has done for most of the season. We need a fit Duff for our Euro qf campaign, or the majority of it anyway.

Stu, wrt McShane. :facepalm2: sums it up pretty damn well.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deshi)

First half especially you guys were controlling the ball and Brazil were mainly only dangerous on the counter-attack. Second half you guys drifted away though which was a shame...

Are you a very patriotic person? (i.e. do you follow Ireland's results very closely?)
    Yeah, agree with that assessment. Fitness let us down a bit, but there's not much Trap can do about that, esp with this type of match. He only had one day with players.....

Yeah, follow results/performances very closely, get very wound up when watching matches. Very much looking forward to the Euro QFs, we were unlucky wrt the WC, even in qualifying group stage. Last minute goal against Italy, but we had some luck too.....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cabanas is on the road to recovery, still not known if he'll ever kick a football again.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    ITV continuing their tradition of playing a live match then having extended highlights of that match half an hour later taking up 75-100% of the highlights show as the first match. :facepalm2:
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    Play-off idea rejected.

Thank goodness for that, a nonsensical idea if ever there was one, almost as bad as the 39th game one.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Had that been put forward just one year earlier, I do wonder if the result of that vote might have been different. To echo your sentiment Kev, thank goodness.

Playoffs in any league attached form are mere money making exercises of the most naked order. If you finish third or fourth, you deserve to get what comes with finishing third or fourth. Oh but no. :rolleyes: Makes a complete mockery of the idea of a league table to begin with.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    The play-offs are dire enough in the Football Leagues so to bring them to the Premier League would have been a travesty. Thank the Lordy they snipped it in the bud.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think that the play offs would have been a good idea. Even as a Chelsea fan, I'm tired of the big 4 always getting the Champions League spots. I think that the play offs would have given more competition for the last two spots.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wednesday Bass)
    I think that the play offs would have been a good idea. Even as a Chelsea fan, I'm tired of the big 4 always getting the Champions League spots. I think that the play offs would have given more competition for the last two spots.
    Are there any other reasons why you genuinely think its a good idea other than the one highlighted?

Personally I think its a ridiculous idea and believe in the saying that 'the table doesn't lie..'
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deshi)
    Are there any other reasons why you genuinely think its a good idea other than the one highlighted?

Personally I think its a ridiculous idea and believe in the saying that 'the table doesn't lie..'
    Not really, but considering all of the revenue that the teams get from being in the Champions League, it gives an advantage to the teams who always qualify. They get a LOT of money from TV revenue and the likes that give them more resources to spend on players, training facilities, etc.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 17, 2014
New on TSR

A-level results day

Is it about making your parents proud?

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered football threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.