Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Ultimate Football Thread VII

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economist)
    I liked the double retake, about time the encroaching law was enforced, it's ridiculous how keepers in particular get away with it constantly
    Should a penalty be retaken for encroachment by the goalkeeper if it was scored though? If it was saved I can see the logic.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Should a penalty be retaken for encroachment by the goalkeeper if it was scored though? If it was saved I can see the logic.
    I think if it's scored then the encroachment is not relevant, with regards to opposing players[GK and outfield players]. It was the Chelsea players who caused the retakes at the weekend.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    No, I believe the laws state that the referee should award the goal if either the keeper comes off his line or only the defending team enters the box given that it's scored unless the attacking team also enters the box in which case its a retake
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Anyone see in todays sun about Brasil possibly being banned from SA2010?
    Something due to basically a team who got promoted fielding an ineligible player, the team who came 5th complained, Brazil FA did nothing/accepted a basically wrong excuse. Team who came 5th went to fifa, are basically in the right, and FIFA rules state that is an FA fail to punish a constituent team accordingly, that country will be banned from the next major tournament.
    Highly unlikely they will follow through with it, but with presidential elections approaching, big fat sepp cant be seen to be bending the rules as he sees fit.
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...-Cup-spot.html
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    If they did ban Brazil, I'd not bother watching. Nonsense.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't expect this to be resolved, if it ever is resolved, until 2012 or something. No way will it stop Brazil going to SA
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    If Brazil were banned, the best World Cup group this year (possibly ever) will be ruined.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobbieC)
    If they did ban Brazil, I'd not bother watching. Nonsense.
    True, this World Cup already looks pretty lackluster without certain teams like Russia, Croatia and Sweden.

Not that Brazil will get banned, of course.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stu Laverty)
    True, this World Cup already looks pretty lackluster without certain teams like Russia, Croatia and Sweden.

Not that Brazil will get banned, of course.
    Yeah, we get New Zealand instead of Croatia. Partly why I prefer the Champions League.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, we get New Zealand instead of Croatia. Partly why I prefer the Champions League.
    I think the qualifying organisation is dubious but then again it is for the CL as well. Rangers/Celtic instead of the 5th placed English team/any of the top 10 English teams etc.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economist)
    I think the qualifying organisation is dubious but then again it is for the CL as well. Rangers/Celtic instead of the 5th placed English team/any of the top 10 English teams etc.
    Especially after Platini's reforms but, on the whole, I still think the Champions League is better, though I do think the qualifying organisation is a bit **** before and after Platini's reforms.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else seen the goals of the week and month on Sky Sports News today? Absolutely immense - there was a superb team goal, a great layoff for the finish, which was out of this ****ing world. Lower league goal, I forget the teams involved. I need to see these goals again :cool:
    • 12 followers

The festive fixtures
    Saturday, 26 December 2009
    Birmingham v Chelsea, 12:45
    Burnley v Bolton, 14:00
    Fulham v Tottenham, 13:00
    Liverpool v Wolverhampton, 17:30
    Man City v Stoke, 15:00
    Sunderland v Everton, 15:00
    West Ham v Portsmouth, 13:00
    Wigan v Blackburn, 15:00

Sunday, 27 December 2009
    Arsenal v Aston Villa, 13:30
    Hull v Man Utd, 16:00

Monday, 28 December 2009
    Blackburn v Sunderland, 15:00
    Chelsea v Fulham, 15:00
    Everton v Burnley, 15:00
    Stoke v Birmingham, 15:00
    Tottenham v West Ham, 12:45
    Wolverhampton v Man City, 19:45

Tuesday, 29 December 2009
    Aston Villa v Liverpool, 19:45
    Bolton v Hull, 20:00

Wednesday, 30 December 2009
    Man Utd v Wigan, 20:00
    Portsmouth v Arsenal, 19:45
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Fulham v Spuds, City v Stoke, Arsenal v Villa are my picks tbh
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Call me mad but I'm looking forward to boxing day more than christmas itself. :P
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    Boxing Day fixtures over The Gruffalo?

Shame on you.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you haven't already seen it, please take a look at this announcement inviting nominations for a new Sports mod. We obviously value your input very highly and it'd be great to get someone in who you all think would do a great job to continue to improve our forum.

And a happy festive season to you all too!
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nominated.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just don't have the time but I would abuse the power fo' sure.

To quote GW Bush, "if this was a dictatorship, it would be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator"

:cool:
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    I obviously best man for the :snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow: job.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 17, 2014
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered football threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.