The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey i'm guessing your a guy (all that muscle!) but do you know that anything under less than 20% body fat counts you as underweight?? Your body fat is fine as it is, going down to 15% will leave you severly underweight. You might be thinking "so what i'll be fine" thats complete BS, being underweight really screws you up. Fair enough tone your legs or whatever, but 15% is not a realistic goal.
Reply 2
Jog and run helps fat burn immensely !
Reply 3
Yeah
hey i'm 19, 5'11, weigh 194 pounds, and have 21% body fat. I've got quite a high muscle percentage, i'm stronger than average, can bench 135 pounds pretty comfortably and my upper body above abdomen is in good shape. Was wondering if anyone could give tips on losing fat from legs (also quite muscular) bum and stomach, wanna get down to about 15% body fat. Cheers

well, if you're in good shape and fit why try and loose fat? :confused:
Reply 4
~the_one~
Hey i'm guessing your a guy (all that muscle!) but do you know that anything under less than 20% body fat counts you as underweight?? Your body fat is fine as it is, going down to 15% will leave you severly underweight. You might be thinking "so what i'll be fine" thats complete BS, being underweight really screws you up. Fair enough tone your legs or whatever, but 15% is not a realistic goal.

if hes a guy as you assumed, 21%bf is actually classed as "****ing fat". Average athletic BF% is gonna be below 10%. 15% is reasonable, or closer to 10 for hardcore ownage.com

--Joe
~the_one~
do you know that anything under less than 20% body fat counts you as underweight?? Your body fat is fine as it is, going down to 15% will leave you severly underweight.

******** right there, ladies and gentlemen.
Reply 6
enlighten us then instead of posting useless comments
Reply 7
~the_one~
but do you know that anything under less than 20% body fat counts you as underweight??

that has got to be the stupidest thing i have heard all week, maybe even this whole year.
Reply 8
anyway...

you can't spot reduce fat. if you can bench 135lb and don't work out a lot (i'm guessing from the wording of your post?) then you're naturally pretty well built, so cutting will be hard. sure, clean up your diet a bit, most importantly do cardio. how about 30 mins running before breakfast every morning? that will get the fat off you quite easily... maybe take in a few carbs beforehand to stop muscle loss. if you're really interested in specific fat loss, look into HIIT.
Reply 9
wake up take some whey in water (whey-protein powder) wait 15 mins go for run have some more whey in water then wait 45 mins and have a protein/fat meal,

the whey in water will be just enough to stop the muscle catabolism as in effect you have been fasting for 8 hours due to sleep.

alot of guys crave to have low body fat to show there abs etc the above is one of the best methods i have come accross if you have trouble doing cardio in the day do to lack of time.. personally i would do this 2-3 times a week..

low body fat is really only advisable to atheletes or bodybuilders but as long as you dont try and go for below 5-10% there shouldnt really be a problem..

i would say the most important factor alongside cardio would be your diet..

here is a good article to help you on your way http://www.muscletalk.co.uk/losing-fat.asp also check out some other articles/posts on this site as these are very helpful..
Reply 10
Do some aerobic exercise as well as your weight training. I'd say do an hour a day for fast effective results (that's what I do) and then your normal weights.
Reply 11
well at the moment, im doing a mile run followed by biceps (bar curl 22kg and hammer curl 10kg) triceps (40 kilo close bench press) and stomach (10 kilo pull overs) weights one day, and by chest (61kg bench) back (bent over row 30kg) and shoulders (standing extension 30kg) the next, alternating the muscles that i work on daily. All these are done in 3 sets of 10, im currently running the mile in 7 minutes. Is there any alteration to this plan i need to be making, meals = breakfast cereal, lunch - tuna sandwich or equivalent, dinner - steak or equivalent, carbohydrate portion.
Reply 12
~the_one~

I think you're getting BMI and bodyfat percentage missed up babe. Womens healthy gody fat is around 30% while a mans is about 20% or more.
Getting down to 15% is around athlelte percentage, which is a very realistic goal. I'm trying to get down to 10% which is going to be hard.

sj
Reply 13
Yeah
well at the moment, im doing a mile run followed by biceps (bar curl 22kg and hammer curl 10kg) triceps (40 kilo close bench press) and stomach (10 kilo pull overs) weights one day, and by chest (61kg bench) back (bent over row 30kg) and shoulders (standing extension 30kg) the next, alternating the muscles that i work on daily. All these are done in 3 sets of 10, im currently running the mile in 7 minutes. Is there any alteration to this plan i need to be making, meals = breakfast cereal, lunch - tuna sandwich or equivalent, dinner - steak or equivalent, carbohydrate portion.

firstly you need to add more weight exercizes. For example, you are knackering you biceps ith this workut, but not seriously working anything else. Try doing about 4 exercises for the big muscle groups (chest, shoulders, legs, back) and then 2 for the smaller one (biceps triceps).

Also start spliting your meals up, so you eat 5 times a day but smaller portions, that way your metabolism s always high.
Reply 14
Taldarion
firstly you need to add more weight exercizes. For example, you are knackering you biceps ith this workut, but not seriously working anything else. Try doing about 4 exercises for the big muscle groups (chest, shoulders, legs, back) and then 2 for the smaller one (biceps triceps).

Also start spliting your meals up, so you eat 5 times a day but smaller portions, that way your metabolism s always high.

4 exercises even for 'big' groups is too much in my experience. ie. for chest i do db press and incline db press, sometimes change it up ie. declines, dips (wide).

To the original poster, do a simple chest/tri back/bi legs/shoulderroutine.

chest tri;
press
incline press
CG (close grip) press (i'd also alternate these with strict dips)
maybe wack in some drop sets of tricep push down to finish em off.

back bi;

if you deadlift = you may need to buy some more plates for these/if you feel they hit legs too much do rack pulls
wide grip chin
bent over row
bb curl/hammer curl.

legs shoulders;

squat/have an odd week of leg press to mix it up.
straight leg deadlift
calf raises
military press
lateral raises

tuesday/thurs do cardio and abs, don't bother with 3x10, move down to 3x8 (more weight) to see how it goes.
Reply 15
erk
4 exercises even for 'big' groups is too much in my experience. ie. for chest i do db press and incline db press, sometimes change it up ie. declines, dips (wide).

To the original poster, do a simple chest/tri back/bi legs/shoulderroutine.

chest tri;
press
incline press
CG (close grip) press (i'd also alternate these with strict dips)
maybe wack in some drop sets of tricep push down to finish em off.

back bi;

if you deadlift = you may need to buy some more plates for these/if you feel they hit legs too much do rack pulls
wide grip chin
bent over row
bb curl/hammer curl.

legs shoulders;

squat/have an odd week of leg press to mix it up.
straight leg deadlift
calf raises
military press
lateral raises

tuesday/thurs do cardio and abs, don't bother with 3x10, move down to 3x8 (more weight) to see how it goes.

Good advice.
Reply 16
~the_one~

omg what? thats terrible advice!

21% bodyfat is quite a large amount for a teenager, most people I know are around 10%, 15% would NOT leave him underweight. plus saying it is unrealistic is awful, it is entirely achievable given some effort and willpower.

jesus christ... Im considered nearly overweight by the ****** BMI and Im 10% bodyfat!

anyway to give some better advice, you want to keep the muscle you have so you should spend some time losing weight, not going on a mad diet and mad cardio.. keep lifting weights, just do jogging on days you aren't working out on and do quite a lot. Don't eat less, but if you are eating unhealthy foods cut this out. eg... workout three days a week, three days do 45 minutes cardio and have a rest day, that should work after a few weeks

but make sure you dont do something like eat only 1500 calories cos you will just lose the muscle you have. also if you do running in the morning, make sure you eat something before you do it (and not straight before) to avoid more muscle loss..

hope this helps, also listen to erk and imasilly narb, and some others they know what theyre talking about :cool: more than I do as well!
Reply 17
Yeah

you're probably overtraining, but that should make you lose fat. working out after a run may lead to high cortisol levels, i dunno. if you're not seeing results, it would definately be worth splitting them up. give yourself a rest day in between this cycle of workouts.

if you're interested, i'm currently using Joe DeFranco's WS4SB workout. its good. box squats rule. http://www.defrancostraining.com/articles/archive/articles_westside.htm
i would assume 15% body fat sounds dangerous...but then i dont know much about these things. i know our bodies need some fat tho, but can someone explain what an average (not really healthy...haven't got the stamina :frown: ) body fat percenatge should be? is it related to your BMI at all? and what if you're a female with slimmish build but you're busty..i mean boobs are mainly fat so to lose BF would you have to become flat chested?? :confused: *i like my cleavage*
Reply 19
~the_one~

from this post, i am guessing you are fat. really fat.

Latest

Trending

Trending