The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Colleges. Is there a big difference and how to choose one?

Basically as the title says, really.

Is there a huge difference in the various colleges? (I.e.: some being more traditional with regular formal events and some less, being more casual with few/no formal events.)

What are the chances of going to your chosen college?

Are certain facilities only available to certain colleges, and you can't access them unless you're party of that college?

Anything else on colleges and choosing the right one would be much appreciated.
Thanks. :smile:
Reply 1
.ACS.

Is there a huge difference in the various colleges? (I.e.: some being more traditional with regular formal events and some less, being more casual with few/no formal events.)

yes

depends which college you chose

Are certain facilities only available to certain colleges, and you can't access them unless you're party of that college?

yes

:faq:
there's a large section on the colleges. Look through that, read through the numerous threads on this subject already in this forum, read through the prospectus and look at videos online.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
.ACS.

how come your leaving southampton?
I chose Chad's when I applied, because I have a good friend there and it's just a pretty awesome college. What do you want from a college?
Well, we can't really give advice on which college to choose if you don't say what you personally would want out of a college...but in general the Bailey colleges (University/Castle, Johns, Chads, Cuths, Hatfield and sortof Hild Bede though that's far out on it's own) are more traditional, with the main exception of Cuths. The Hill colleges (umm, all the rest, look them up) are newer and generally less traditional, though some are still quite traditional. I'm at Trevelyan personally and I've found it has a nice balance between being "modern" and traditional in that we have gowns and fortnightly formals.

These colleges are generally closer to the science site with the bailey colleges being closer to where the arts/social sciences are generally taught, if location's another consideration. But then again in Durham nowhere's that far away really. Although I haven't done the walk personally I'm guessing even Hild Bede to the science site would still only take around 25 minutes.

Let us know what you want out of a college (size/location/tradition/rooms/catering/whatever else you think of) and we'll be able to give you more of an idea which college you'd be best suited to from the info you give us.
Reply 5
.ACS.

What type of things are you looking for?
Reply 6
purple-girl
Well, we can't really give advice on which college to choose if you don't say what you personally would want out of a college...but in general the Bailey colleges (University/Castle, Johns, Chads, Cuths, Hatfield and sortof Hild Bede though that's far out on it's own) are more traditional, with the main exception of Cuths. The Hill colleges (umm, all the rest, look them up) are newer and generally less traditional, though some are still quite traditional. I'm at Trevelyan personally and I've found it has a nice balance between being "modern" and traditional in that we have gowns and fortnightly formals.

These colleges are generally closer to the science site with the bailey colleges being closer to where the arts/social sciences are generally taught, if location's another consideration. But then again in Durham nowhere's that far away really. Although I haven't done the walk personally I'm guessing even Hild Bede to the science site would still only take around 25 minutes.

Let us know what you want out of a college (size/location/tradition/rooms/catering/whatever else you think of) and we'll be able to give you more of an idea which college you'd be best suited to from the info you give us.

Walk from Hild Bede takes nowhere near that long! More like 15 minutes and thats if you're walking slowly!
Reply 7
Many thanks for the replies, everyone! And sorry for my late reply. :o:

I'm looking for something more traditional, with regular formals, etc.
I'm guessing, however, that all the colleges have a strong sense of community?
Reply 8
pym
how come your leaving southampton?

I might be changing course, and so obviously if I do, I'll change university.
Reply 9
.ACS.
I might be changing course, and so obviously if I do, I'll change university.

Whats wrong with Economics?
Reply 10
pym
Whats wrong with Economics?

I've just realised it isn't for me. At first I found it interesting, but not mathematical enough, and to be honest, now I'm finding it extremely boring. I'm just looking for a more mathematically challenging course, and realised that I'm much more interested in pure mathematics and statistics (I enjoy mathematics for its own sake and don't need to apply it to something to enjoy it; also the most complicated maths we're doing at the moment is elementary algebra which a lot of the students seem to be struggling with despite having A-Level Maths :s-smilie: ).
Reply 11
.ACS.
I've just realised it isn't for me. At first I found it interesting, but not mathematical enough, and to be honest, now I'm finding it extremely boring. I'm just looking for a more mathematically challenging course, and realised that I'm much more interested in pure mathematics and statistics (I enjoy mathematics for its own sake and don't need to apply it to something to enjoy it; also the most complicated maths we're doing at the moment is elementary algebra which a lot of the students seem to be struggling with despite having A-Level Maths :s-smilie: ).

Fair enough I suppose, good luck
.ACS.
Many thanks for the replies, everyone! And sorry for my late reply. :o:

I'm looking for something more traditional, with regular formals, etc.
I'm guessing, however, that all the colleges have a strong sense of community?

Depends which one, and if you get "in" with the community when you're there. Small colleges like Chad's probably have a very strong community, but then it being small can be a bad thing. Hild Bede seems to lack community, from what I've heard, because it's almost segregated into two blocks and a lot of people know no-one from the other side of the college.

You haven't mentioned wanting to live in a castle, so don't apply to University College. It's unlikely you'll get into there anyway, so you could end up somewhere that's not at all traditional, like Josephine Butler.

For traditional you would probably prefer the Bailey, which - minus Castle - consists of:

St Chad's College (the smallest college)
St John's College (reputation is that it's religious)
Hatfield College (reputation is that they're all *********, basically, but it's a reputation. They get a lot of inter-collegiate abuse)
St Cuthbert's Society (quite a social college, not as formal, for example there's no gowns. best bars though)

I'd just pick which of them looks best there, really. You do get tradition on the hill, and I call Trevelyan the "TSR college", because they all seem to show up on here. If you want to be self-catered for some reason, then your only option is Cuth's, because you have to be catered at the rest (minus Butler, but that's very modern).
Reply 13
Josephine Butler is not traditional? :-) Take a second look at the Senior Resident Tutour, she is VERY VERY traditional. haha!

Latest