The Student Room Group

Mac - Boot Camp Problem

Hey
I'm trying to run the Boot Camp Assistant and i am shown the following message...

The disk cannot be partitioned because some files cannot be moved.

Back up the disk and use Disk Utility to format it as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume. Restore your information to the disk and try using Boot Camp Assistant again.

I only have 1 partition, and i have plenty of free space.

I have read i may have to install some defrag software.
Also, I really do not want to have to reformat my HD as i do not have an external HD with me.

Does anyone know have the solution to this?

Thanks

Sean
Find your original Leopard/Snow Leopard disk and boot from that (hold down ALT at startup, or alternatively hold down the Menu button on your Apple Remote). Then run Disk Utility and choose Repair Disk Permissions, then Repair Disk. If that doesn't help, you'll have to do what Boot Camp originally told you.
Reply 2
Even using Macs way of partitioning that supposedly doesn't corrupt or delete your files that are still on the hard drive things can still go wrong. I managed to set up Boot Camp on my Macbook fine but I did have everything backed up too as I had the last two years of my work (more than 20,000 photos) on that hard drive which I couldn't risk loosing. Unless you have files that aren't that important, just wait until you have an exhd and do it properly.

Latest

Trending

Trending