The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Depends which science you want to do...I know Kent does Physics Foundation, and I think Aberystwyth might do a physics foundation also...sometimes foundations are listed under unusual names, remember trying to find a list of math foundation courses for someone...every uni called it something different :s-smilie: try searching for year 0? And it may be easier to ring unis you're interested in anyway...think of some you'd really like to go to and ring them up...then you're showing interest as well, searching individual websites to see what they've called it or trying random search terms is the only other option and is still time consuming anyway :s-smilie:
Reply 2
Thx for your reply.

I am looking for Bio and Chem. I would like to go into food science + nutrition eventually. I can find them, but I cannot shortlist the ones that have a January start.

I absolutely want to start in January 2010 and finish in August so I don't have to wait an extra year to start year 1. I can just begin in September 2010.

I hope it makes sense.
Reply 3
becciasgrivue
Thx for your reply.

I am looking for Bio and Chem. I would like to go into food science + nutrition eventually. I can find them, but I cannot shortlist the ones that have a January start.

I absolutely want to start in January 2010 and finish in August so I don't have to wait an extra year to start year 1. I can just begin in September 2010.

I hope it makes sense.

Ah ok...I'm just wondering if you would have needed to apply earlier for Jan '10 start...think it'll have to be a case of ringing up and asking to see where there's a place like previously suggested at this stage...
Reply 4
I don't think you'll find one that starts in January. Having looked at many unis that do them, wasn't aware there were any that have a January start-nearly all are simply an extra year added onto your degree course anyway so run from the normal academic year. Are you sure the option to start in Jan is available anywhere?
Reply 5
heidigirl
I don't think you'll find one that starts in January. Having looked at many unis that do them, wasn't aware there were any that have a January start-nearly all are simply an extra year added onto your degree course anyway so run from the normal academic year. Are you sure the option to start in Jan is available anywhere?

There is a bunch of foundation/access courses for international students, which would apply to my case, but they are all above 7900GBP which is way more than I want to spend. I am just looking for a regular Foundation for UK-EU students with sufficient English language skills but not enough science background.

Londonmet has a January start but like you said it runs along with the regular calendar and end in Jan 2011, which would be too late.
Reply 6
skipp
Ah ok...I'm just wondering if you would have needed to apply earlier for Jan '10 start...think it'll have to be a case of ringing up and asking to see where there's a place like previously suggested at this stage...

Skipp,

yes you have a point, I should have applied earlier. However, I am ready to go. Reference letters are being written and statement is in the works.

I just need a course that will give me a bit of science between here and September 2010.

THX for the help btw, it's great to actually post in a forum where ppl reply to you.
Reply 7
All Foundation Years last for a full academic year(Sep - June). You said you wanna start in January and finish in August. Not many academics wanna spent their summer teaching and I think that is the main reason I've never heard of a Foundation Year start in January.

I take this back ^:

http://www2.surrey.ac.uk/undergraduate/studentlife/general/internationalfoundation/

Just Google : "foundation year january start", there are several results
Reply 8
becciasgrivue
Skipp,

yes you have a point, I should have applied earlier. However, I am ready to go. Reference letters are being written and statement is in the works.

I just need a course that will give me a bit of science between here and September 2010.

THX for the help btw, it's great to actually post in a forum where ppl reply to you.

Ah ok as far as the cost foundation courses like any other university course are horrendously expensive I'm afraid so there's no real way round that. If all else fails you could see if there's a center where you are where you could enter yourself for iAlevels or Alevels so at least you could get relevant qualifications in time for autumn 2010 university entry...that'd be much cheaper and is an alternative if you can't find a foundation course...although it would mean having to adjust your application and get it off to UCAS by 15th January having everything sorted out, and then you'd have to teach yourself
see if there's an alternative here: http://www.cie.org.uk/qualifications/academic
There's some sort of pre-U course..but I think that runs over 2 years
Reply 9
The Surrey course is a great foundation year and it will be almost perfect for me, however, it is run by by Study Group, which is a private company that provides training and access courses in over 120 countries (according to their website). There is a drawback. Tuition is 10,425 GBP. http://www.studygroup.com/isc/surrey/fees.aspx No scholarship available unless you are from Kazakhstan.

Another company who offers similar courses is called INTO. These company have partnerships with universities all over the UK and the world.

I am looking for a regular UK-EU course. Or for something a bit more affordable.

Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it.
Reply 10
Guys, Thanks for your answers so far.

It's 2 AM in South Korea and I am going to hit the bed. looking forward to take a good look at these links tomorrow.
heidigirl

I am predicted AAA, but done have not any sciences and I really want to do medicine but, i missed the medicine deadlinee ( i wasnt sure if I was clever enough because I had some family problems last year and got BBB, but teachers said I was Capable of getting AAA because I got high 80s in january 09 as exams)

anyway I was wondering I was wondering if i do the foundation science thing, Can I then apply for entry to the 5 year programme ?

because Im trying to avoid taking a taking a gap year , in which i do nothing and then apply for 6 year medicine programme
Thomassss
I am predicted AAA, but done have not any sciences and I really want to do medicine but, i missed the medicine deadlinee ( i wasnt sure if I was clever enough because I had some family problems last year and got BBB, but teachers said I was Capable of getting AAA because I got high 80s in january 09 as exams)

anyway I was wondering I was wondering if i do the foundation science thing, Can I then apply for entry to the 5 year programme ?

because Im trying to avoid taking a taking a gap year , in which i do nothing and then apply for 6 year medicine programme

Why not take the relevant A level subjects during a gap year? then apply for medicine to try and get a conditional offer on the basis of the science grades you're lacking. Then you could get a job with relevant experience/skills for medicine as well, and enter the 5 year course in 2011 providing you got an offer and made the grades etc.
oxymoronic
Why not take the relevant A level subjects during a gap year? then apply for medicine to try and get a conditional offer on the basis of the science grades you're lacking. Then you could get a job with relevant experience/skills for medicine as well, and enter the 5 year course in 2011 providing you got an offer and made the grades etc.

I dont think any college offers accelerated A level Biology and Chemistry in 1 year, ? do they ?

thanks anyway
Thomassss
I dont think any college offers accelerated A level Biology and Chemistry in 1 year, ? do they ?

thanks anyway

You could find somewhere, or if not do it as an individual applicant and just take the exams at an exam centre that accepted individual candidates. Obviously it will involve you doing some research but it is fairly common for people to do A levels in a year so you will be able to - perhaps speak to your school, you could do both the AS and A2 classes and take all of the exams at the same time. I feel medical schools would find it preferable for you to have taken A levels rather than a foundation to science course, although I could be wrong there.

Latest

Trending

Trending