The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 1
Your moped would be most unappreciated in our fine town.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
PeterR
Your moped would be most unappreciated in our fine town.

It isn't a two-stroke lawn mower, don't worry I depise them too.
Reply 3
You might get away with locking it to a bike rack in some places.
One of the guys in my year has a moped, and one of my lecturers has a motorbike, I think. I'm not sure that most of the bike racks would be much use, because the wheels won't fit in them... but I know of people parking them at the top of the steps down to physics, and there's a lot of parking on the North Haugh. Further in town might be another matter - a lot of the parking costs money, and the bike racks are often quite full. Similarly, I expect there'd be more space to park it out at DRA than by Regs, for example.

I'd be more concerned about the amount of stuff you'd need to stay warm and dry at this time of year, and where you would put it if you had a long day of lectures. I tend to prefer walking at this time of year because cycling can be utterly miserable... and although you've got more to protect you on a bike, I'm not sure how pleasant it would be.
Reply 5
ImperceptibleNinja
One of the guys in my year has a moped, and one of my lecturers has a motorbike, I think. I'm not sure that most of the bike racks would be much use, because the wheels won't fit in them... but I know of people parking them at the top of the steps down to physics, and there's a lot of parking on the North Haugh. Further in town might be another matter - a lot of the parking costs money, and the bike racks are often quite full. Similarly, I expect there'd be more space to park it out at DRA than by Regs, for example.

I'd be more concerned about the amount of stuff you'd need to stay warm and dry at this time of year, and where you would put it if you had a long day of lectures. I tend to prefer walking at this time of year because cycling can be utterly miserable... and although you've got more to protect you on a bike, I'm not sure how pleasant it would be.

Thanks mate, I wouldn't worry about the cold. I live about 250 miles north of St A's - its realllllly cold!
jammydodger09
Thanks mate, I wouldn't worry about the cold. I live about 250 miles north of St A's - its realllllly cold!

Ahh, you'll survive here fine then :biggrin:
Reply 7
ImperceptibleNinja
Ahh, you'll survive here fine then :biggrin:

It's not cold here. It's 32 degrees celcius today. Anyone looking to study in the heat and the sun come to St Andrews.

EDIT: Unless you have a moped.
PeterR
It's not cold here. It's 32 degrees celcius today. Anyone looking to study in the heat and the sun come to St Andrews.

EDIT: Unless you have a moped.

At the moment, it's pretty cold at night time (broken boiler -> thermal underwear, pyjamas, a hoodie, fluffy socks, 2 fleecy blankets and a duvet and STILL cold), and this morning was pretty chilly and frosty before the the sun got to everything (I skidded to Morrisons, rather than walking :wink: ). I have memories of numb hands (entire hands, not just fingers) from cycling with insufficient glovage (Thinsulate related fail), and I'm also aware of people coming from the south of England and being horrified at the Scottish climate.

My comment about miserable weather is more in terms of the bouts of heavy, ongoing rain we've been having lately. A 20-minute walk in the rain does not make a nice beginning or end to a day, particularly when the wind destroys all umbrellas :smile:
Reply 9
ImperceptibleNinja
At the moment, it's pretty cold at night time (broken boiler -> thermal underwear, pyjamas, a hoodie, fluffy socks, 2 fleecy blankets and a duvet and STILL cold), and this morning was pretty chilly and frosty before the the sun got to everything (I skidded to Morrisons, rather than walking :wink: ). I have memories of numb hands (entire hands, not just fingers) from cycling with insufficient glovage (Thinsulate related fail), and I'm also aware of people coming from the south of England and being horrified at the Scottish climate.

My comment about miserable weather is more in terms of the bouts of heavy, ongoing rain we've been having lately. A 20-minute walk in the rain does not make a nice beginning or end to a day, particularly when the wind destroys all umbrellas :smile:

Well it's very hot during the day. Like the Sahara I suppose.
PeterR
Well it's very hot during the day. Like the Sahara I suppose.

Nearly :biggrin:
ImperceptibleNinja
Nearly :biggrin:

This question is completely unrelated to the quote, I just quoted to get your attention :p: . I got a letter from St Andrews the other day telling me that my application was "extremely strong". Does this generally imply that I will receive an unconditional?

Cheers

Jamie
Reply 12
jammydodger09
This question is completely unrelated to the quote, I just quoted to get your attention :p: . I got a letter from St Andrews the other day telling me that my application was "extremely strong". Does this generally imply that I will receive an unconditional?

Cheers

Jamie

If you only want a reply from ImperceptibleNinja maybe you should PM her?
jammydodger09

Where do you live? If you're 250 miles north of st A's and a Scot that would pretty much have to put you on Shetland...
Meteorshower
Where do you live? If you're 250 miles north of st A's and a Scot that would pretty much have to put you on Shetland...

Somewhere to the west of Thurso. Maybe not quite 250 but close.
jammydodger09
Somewhere to the west of Thurso. Maybe not quite 250 but close.

Sorry, i'm being too pedantic but Thurso is only 160 miles :p: , and that's as the crow flies, not even north.
Meteorshower
Sorry, i'm being too pedantic but Thurso is only 160 miles :p: , and that's as the crow flies, not even north.

Ok, maybe directly without following the roads. Its a 100 from my house to Inverness, then another 100 down the A9 to Perth area and maybe 20-30 from there.
jammydodger09

Cheers

Jamie

My usual disclaimer for any admissions questions is that I don't work in admissions and don't have any special insight... I genuinely don't know how many people who recieve letters like yours then recieve offers (and what those offers are like), but it does sound like a positive start. I can't imagine they would tell all applicants that they have extremely strong aplications :smile:

There might be some first or second years who recieved similar letters and can tell you the nature of their offers. I'm afraid I can't remember if I recieved any similar letters... :rolleyes: my memory is going :biggrin:

If it helps, I applied for direct entry with 5 A's at Higher, and I got a conditional AAB offer, I think. I am not sure how much they would have valued my AH grades if I had been doing normal entry instead.

Latest

Trending

Trending