The Student Room Group

Changing to geography.

hello all. :smile:

At the moment i'm doing electronic engineering at sheffield, although i enjoy it loads i find it incredibly hard and alot of work (9-5 lectures 5 days a week :frown: )
anyway as a result of this, I have to do at least 3 retakes in august, i've already entered to do them and am revising loads but theres a real chance that i'll fail at least one and be faced with either retaking the year or changing course.

At alevels a got A's in geog and physics and a B in Maths, so geography (Bsc) is the natural choice if i decide to change, however its totally different to engineering, so i was wondering if you could answer a few questions.

- Whats sheffield like for physical geog? i know i like the city and don't want to move, but is it any good. If i go anywhere else i'd have to take a gap year and re-apply which would suck alot.

- How many essays are involved both in coursework and exams, this was the main reason i didn't start a geog degree last year, i'm really quite bad at writing to any great length, so, how many words are expected to be writen in a typical exam question. This could well prove the decider.

- The Sheffield course seems to have alot of modules that you choose from other subjects, is this normal, it seems a bit odd.

- Are there labs and stuff in the Bsc course? i'm just interested really.

um, well thats all i can think of at the moment. Any answers or suggestions would be great, i mean i might pass my retakes and all will be good but i need to start thinking about it now if i want to change.

cheers.
Amyitfc is doing geography at Sheffield, although she's doing the BA course and hasn't done much [if any] physical geography this year. She also doesn't come on here that much so I'll do my best to help :biggrin:

Sheffield is good for geography, both human and physical.

Essay writing skills help but there will be a module in the first year covering general skills like that. No idea how much you have to write in an exam, but I'm sure you'd become quite good at writing essays as you progress through the course so you'd be fine in the exams.

The Sheffield course does seem to have more outside modules that geog courses at other unis. That's one thing that put me off, actually. I think you have to take a third of your 1st year credits from outside geography. You could do related subjects like earth sciences and stuff though, to support your physical geography, and they would go well with your scientific background from A-level and your engineering experience.

There is probably some lab work in physical geography. Think of all that soil there is to analyse :wink: Hehe.

Good luck with your retakes. Need any more advice then just ask. :smile: Let us know what happens. x
Reply 2
yes, soil analysis, yipee.

thanks for all that i'll no doubt have some more questions sometime.

Latest

Trending

Trending