The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Yet another "which college" thread!

So, I'm switching one of my Edinburgh courses to Durham (applying for International Relations) and I'm in the process of choosing a college. Now, I know there's loads of stuff about size, facilities etc. but I'm specifically very interested in music and drama.

I've narrowed it down to Van Mildert and St Mary's (I also liked Hatfield but it seems very far away from the Politics department, is it really? I'd like to be close-ish). Of course all the colleges try to sell themselves as being great at that stuff, but from your experiences, which has the better drama/music (especially drama)?

Unfortunately I can't travel that far to visit the colleges and use my judgement. I prefer traditional colleges but if a less traditional one is brilliant I'm open to influence (e.g. I hear Trevelyn is good for arts but it looked very small and I think I'd like somewhere a bit bigger). Facilities to practice music without irritating everyone else in the block would also be great :p:

Thanks very much!
Reply 1
Hatfield really isn't that far from international relations/politics. I am in Castle, which is further than Hatfield on the other side of town and my friend studies IR and doesn't seem to have any problems with the walk to lectures; I would really strongly advise that you apply to a bailey college like Hatfield if you like tradition, because the hill colleges really aren't traditional at all!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Boo_2
Hatfield really isn't that far from international relations/politics. I am in Castle, which is further than Hatfield on the other side of town and my friend studies IR and doesn't seem to have any problems with the walk to lectures; I would really strongly advise that you apply to a bailey college like Hatfield if you like tradition, because the hill colleges really aren't traditional at all!

Bit of a generalisation really! I'm at Trevs and I definitely wouldn't say we're not at all traditional. Yes, not as traditional as the likes of Castle, but we still have fairly frequent formals and gowns.

Marie-Claire
So, I'm switching one of my Edinburgh courses to Durham (applying for International Relations) and I'm in the process of choosing a college. Now, I know there's loads of stuff about size, facilities etc. but I'm specifically very interested in music and drama.

I've narrowed it down to Van Mildert and St Mary's (I also liked Hatfield but it seems very far away from the Politics department, is it really? I'd like to be close-ish). Of course all the colleges try to sell themselves as being great at that stuff, but from your experiences, which has the better drama/music (especially drama)?

Unfortunately I can't travel that far to visit the colleges and use my judgement. I prefer traditional colleges but if a less traditional one is brilliant I'm open to influence (e.g. I hear Trevelyn is good for arts but it looked very small and I think I'd like somewhere a bit bigger). Facilities to practice music without irritating everyone else in the block would also be great

Thanks very much!

As far as I know Mildert don't have gowns, and I don't know about Marys at all. Though Marys has a bit of a weird reputation, and has a rubbish bar. Yes, Trevs is small, but it's hardly tiny like Chads/Johns. We have music rooms where you can practise, plus "the barn" which can be booked (this is a separate building). We also have loads of artsy/musicy societies and things if that's what you're into. Trevs Strings, Flute Choir, Trevs Jazz, Hill Orchestra and the Hill College Theatre Company to name a few, plus a couple of choirs. If you want any more info about Trevs in general feel free to ask (though I can't really help with arts stuff, not something I've been involved in) :smile:.

Also, remember, if you go to Hatfield prepare to get lots of stick for it...it's the universally hated college.
Reply 3
Marie-Claire

The music and drama opportunities at Durham are incredible universally, and though there are college groups, Durham Student Theatre and Durham Music Society are very active and very high quality. If you have a fair bit of experience in theatre, or you are grade 8+ on an instrument, then you will be definitely able to access these. College groups operate for people who want to commit less time, normally, as the university groups can be quite intense. Ask me questions about drama/music if you have any, but my main advice is don't get TOO wrapped up in this aspect of college life. I'm already on my second show of the year with Durham University Light Opera and Musical Theatre Group, and the quality is fantastic, let alone the social side, which is also brilliant.

Marie-Claire

I'm at Cuth's, which is closer to politics than Hatfield, and my housemates all complain about the hike to politics. To be fair, its only about 15 minutes I think, but in Durham terms that's a long way.

Marie-Claire
Unfortunately I can't travel that far to visit the colleges and use my judgement. I prefer traditional colleges but if a less traditional one is brilliant I'm open to influence (e.g. I hear Trevelyn is good for arts but it looked very small and I think I'd like somewhere a bit bigger). Facilities to practice music without irritating everyone else in the block would also be great :p:

Thanks very much!

Trevelyan is medium sized. Hild Bede is the biggest college, and has the best facilities, but it is miles from the politics site. A bike would sort that problem out though - it would only be about 10 minutes' cycle I think. On tradition, it also has gowns etc and several historical buildings (though certainly not all of the buildings are historical...).

Keep asking questions, I'll try and answer.
I can't recommend Cuth's if you want to practice music, because while we have a music room, someone decided it'd be fun to not soundproof it.

Oh, and don't go to Hatfield, it's a silly place to be. I've never met anyone from Van Mildert or Mary's, so I can't stereotype them for you (well, I can - Mary's are all lesbians and it's a case of thanking God that you didn't go to Van Mildert).
Reply 5
Hild Bede is not miles away!

Not sure where politics is, but we're 15-20mins' walk from the science site; 8 mins' walk from elvet riverside or the market square (centre of town)...and if you have a bike you can get from the science site back to college in 5 mins if the traffic lights are on your side.

Oh, and we have 3 music rooms (and a berchstein? piano or however you spell it - some kind of amazing piano anyway!) =]
Reply 6
Hild Bede is miles away from the Politics Department. You will freeze during the winter months should you decide to walk. Trevs, Van Milldert, Mary's and Aidan's would be closest to the Politics Department.

PS: I like the description about the girls from Mary's. PMSL!
Reply 7
Additionally, if you are really concerned about facilities, Josephine Butler College being the newest college, has the best facilities. Its distance from the Politics Department is reasonable.

The downside of being in J. Butler is the Senior Tutour who has the habit of issuing "disciplanaries" to her wards. If there's a survey on the number of disciplanaries issued, she will easily win by a mile! Of course, others might view that in a positive way because she is really concerned about students' well-being.

Latest

Trending

Trending