The Student Room Group

A Korean student is in need for making an English name

I am a Korean studet who is planning to study abroad in UK.

My Korean name is Seokkwon Choi but many of my penpals in UK and USA say that it is too difficult to read my name.

So, I decide to make a English name and search the Internet.

These names beneath are the list of names I have just found out on the Internet.

Which name do you think is the best name for a 20year old Korean guy?

Dominic

Ian

Lambert

Maximilian

Maxwell

Osmond

Oswald

Otto

Regan

Roderick

Rupert

Sean

Tab

Terence

Theodore

Tobias

Zachary
Reply 1
I've never really agreed with the whole "english name" crap. People should be respectful and learn your actual name. Anyways, that's beside the point. From your list, the following names are fairly common:

sknown

Dominic

Ian

Sean

Zach
Reply 2
English name? What the **** are you talking about?

Do you embarrass yourself or something?
Reply 3
Loads of asian people studying in england keep their original names.
Most of the korean people at my school, in england, have korean names. The only ones who have english names are british born koreans. Having a foreign name really is no big deal because England is so multicultural everyone has just got used to seeing and pronouncing foreign names, changing your name just because some people may have difficulty reading it is a bit extreme.

you should keep your name ^_^
Reply 4
sknown
I am a Korean studet who is planning to study abroad in UK.

My Korean name is Seokkwon Choi but many of my penpals in UK and USA say that it is too difficult to read my name.

So, I decide to make a English name and search the Internet.

These names beneath are the list of names I have just found out on the Internet.

Which name do you think is the best name for a 20year old Korean guy?

Dominic

Ian

Lambert

Maximilian

Maxwell

Osmond

Oswald

Otto

Regan

Roderick

Rupert

Sean

Tab

Terence

Theodore

Tobias

Zachary

I have taken the liberty of bolding those which I feel will inhibit your ability to make friends, unless you were planning on an abbreviation/nickname.
DONT B A MUPPET KEEP UR REAL NAME! :awesome:
Sean and Ian sound nice.

But If I were you,
I'd just keep using my korean name.
Reply 7
What's wrong with Seokkwon? When your name is difficult to say, it makes people think more about it and remember it more. Trust me :smile:
Sean is by far the best name in the world.

Latest