The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

St Chads

So why are there bareellly any Chads threads? Anyway I'm applying for Chads and so obviously I need to discuss it! How exciting. So yeah, is there any students who can give me some info, like experiences, and what it's like? Am I excited for no reason, or is it just utterly amazhing! :P I want to know everything :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's very small, so some find it cliquey. I love their bar though.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
college drink :coma:
Reply 3
hi!
Im a chads alumna and I would be happy to answer any questions you might have about the college.
I absolutely loved it! It is the smallest college and its very very friendly. The staff are wondeful and the college is very pretty. I HIGHLY recommend it.:smile:
Aubydoll
So why are there bareellly any Chads threads? Anyway I'm applying for Chads and so obviously I need to discuss it! How exciting. So yeah, is there any students who can give me some info, like experiences, and what it's like? Am I excited for no reason, or is it just utterly amazhing! :P I want to know everything :biggrin:

The entire population of Chad's could probably fit into one person's University room, but it seems like a nice college. I sat next to a girl from there at matriculation, and she was alright (but then I was still drunk).

They call their college drink a goat, which is always vaguely amusing when it's your last stop on a bar crawl.
I've applied there! For Theology. I applied as it's small, apparenty quite near the cathedral and looked pretty :love:

Hope I get in :s-smilie: I was in 2 minds whether to apply for combined honours as well as theology to give me an extra chance but I don't want to risk being rejected for both courses...
Reply 6
Got an offer for St Chad's yesterday! It's for Geology.. I need BB. Don't know if it'll be my firm yet, but the more I read about St Chad's, the more I want to go there.
taheki
Got an offer for St Chad's yesterday! It's for Geology.. I need BB. Don't know if it'll be my firm yet, but the more I read about St Chad's, the more I want to go there.

Hey! Chad's is amazing! I can safely say that it IS the BEST college in Durham!!! I've just finished my first term there and have had the best 10 weeks of my life! Everyone is so lovely and there is allwaassys someone to chat to!!! Because the college is so small, it is really easy to get involved in anything you fancy......(womens rugby team is the funnest thing i have ever tried!!! ) Anywho, ill stop plugging it now but seriously it is such an amazing place and i could not see myself at any other college! x
Reply 8
BethTurner12
Hey! Chad's is amazing! I can safely say that it IS the BEST college in Durham!!! I've just finished my first term there and have had the best 10 weeks of my life! Everyone is so lovely and there is allwaassys someone to chat to!!! Because the college is so small, it is really easy to get involved in anything you fancy......(womens rugby team is the funnest thing i have ever tried!!! ) Anywho, ill stop plugging it now but seriously it is such an amazing place and i could not see myself at any other college! x

Hey :smile: Thanks for that.. I have a question
How often do you have to dress up in gowns for formals?

I've always known that that's the tradition at most Durham colleges, but I got invited to an open day an have been asked to attend a formal black tie dinner the night before..
Getting asked to attend a formal meal on an open day seemed a bit odd to me, and got me thinking about whether the regular formals at St Chad's would really suit me. Now I'm not exactly allergic to formal events, if the occasions fits, but I can't help thinking that it's all a bit pretentious.
Reply 9
Oooh I went on a tour there the other week, it seems amaaaziing. Hope I get an offer, though my form just went off yesterday. :P I have a question, which I forgot to ask when I was there (it's such a pretty place too - like when you first walk in! Omg) anyway I read somewhere that there was a gym, is that true? I never got to see one if there was. :smile:
Reply 10
Aubydoll
Oooh I went on a tour there the other week, it seems amaaaziing. Hope I get an offer, though my form just went off yesterday. :P I have a question, which I forgot to ask when I was there (it's such a pretty place too - like when you first walk in! Omg) anyway I read somewhere that there was a gym, is that true? I never got to see one if there was. :smile:

Yeah there is, they probs didn't show you because it's absolutely ****.
Reply 11
Hey Thanks for that.. I have a question
How often do you have to dress up in gowns for formals?

I've always known that that's the tradition at most Durham colleges, but I got invited to an open day an have been asked to attend a formal black tie dinner the night before..
Getting asked to attend a formal meal on an open day seemed a bit odd to me, and got me thinking about whether the regular formals at St Chad's would really suit me. Now I'm not exactly allergic to formal events, if the occasions fits, but I can't help thinking that it's all a bit pretentious.

I'm currently at Chad's and am happy to tell you that formals are completely optional. They do occur twice weekly (Tuesdays and Thursdays), but you have to sign up in advance for them. If you don't sign up, you're not supposed to go (Although some people do sneak into them upon occasion--but you didn't hear that from me.). However, if you choose not to attend formals, you won't go hungry. Supper is served at regular time (6 p.m.), and the cooks just chase you out earlier so that they can set the tables for formal. The food that is served at formals is comparable to what regularly is served. You just eat it while wearing a black gown. :smile: Hope this allays any fears you might have.
Reply 12
Haha lol.

Are formals fun? Like is it exciting going to dine in a gown every week, :P, I'm a sucker for an occasion to dress up :biggrin:. Or do they get tiresome? Which other colleges do formals?
Reply 13
honestly, u wear the gown but people get pissed for downing at least a bottle! the food comes late at times and u keep waiting... in the meantime, u secretly play drinking games. so u get pissed even before u start eating. it's "formal" dinner but not so formal. haha! it"s great fun though! you should see how rowdy formal dinners are. the dinner at castle is quite strict but still, students manage to play drinking games.
Aubydoll
Haha lol.

Are formals fun? Like is it exciting going to dine in a gown every week, :P, I'm a sucker for an occasion to dress up :biggrin:. Or do they get tiresome? Which other colleges do formals?

Hey!
Formals are great fun....i try to sign up to as many as possible (they are optional) If you go with a group of people its a really good (free) evening and things are far more laid back then you might think. When i went to my first formal i was really nervous that it would be really strict but it's not.
xxxxxx
I got an offer from Chad's a while back.... AAB. :woo:

Yeah, taheki I was also wondering about the formal open day thing... Like, how formal?
Reply 16
is anyone else going to the open day in march?
Yup Sam, I'm going to the open day.
(You do mean the one on Tuesday and Wednesday, right?)
What do you want to study?
Reply 18
Yeh :smile:
Im studying Natural Sciences (Maths and Economics)
Is the formal meal definitely a black tie event
I think so... I'm having a mild panic over formal wear- it's so much easier for guys, you can just wear a suit, and it's fine.
I shall just have to leave this for future me to work out... :wink:

Maths? Not my subject, but I can see the appeal...

Is Durham your first choice?

Latest