The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I guess we do get it easier :P but i still have no idea how i'm going to get the suit up there on the train
do you think it will be genuine black tie with the whole pleated shirt and cufflink thing going on?

good luck deciding what your going to wear, i sense a long deliberation time may be in the offing :P

Yeh Durham is my first choice :smile: how about you?
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
It is joint first choice- I just need to decide between them (obviously depending on me getting my other joint first choices...)
... I'm waiting till all of my offers and rejections come in but so far, kinda yes... although don't hold me to anything!

Yeah, trainage sucks from here, my sister goes to Durham (Which does put me off a bit... don't ask) and it costs something like £50, even when you book in advance... Eek!

Try a suit bag? I know they're a pain, but they do keep them flat.

Just be glad you aren't forced to wear heels. They look a lot nicer than they feel!

I'm just so glad I've found someone else who is going! I'm so nervous...
So Sam, why did you choose Chads?
Reply 23
Is that other one Warwick? if it is then thats a tough decision
i guess go for gut instinct in the end :smile:

with a sibling its a toss up isnt it? either you see it as reassuring that there will definitely be someone there and a chance to get even closer to them or you can see it the other way and want to be someone completely different with independence and all that

im coming all the way from Brighton its going to be an absolute nightmare on the train lol
ill have to get a good book :P

I guess that suit bag's the only thing that has any chance of working but ill have to navigate at least one of the major London stations holding a massive suit bag. good times

I know it feels like no-one else has applied to St Chads at all on here
and its wierd isnt it how we're going to meet people who either will become our best firends for 3 years or people who'll we'll never see again and there is absolutely no way of knowing
Reply 24
erm why
i wanted a bailey college because i love all the tradition and the idea of formals etc and then i heard about the tutor-student ratio and then the library which made me put it down in the first place
i then had a heart attack after realising about the room sharing after having sent it to UCAS but am slowly warming to the idea, im almost seeing it as a postive now

and then the obvious best-bar-none award :P

oh and the courtyard looks so cool :smile: lots of reasons really

you??
Ahh... But me and my sister don't get along, but I chose a different college so it isn't really too big a problem.

No, both Warwick and York are still in the running, although Warwick ask for lower grades. Warwick interview soon.

Do you have to go via London? Often taking other routes is cheaper and less busy... just a suggestion.

I heard Chad's is really popular, the number of applicants to places is something like 29:1, but I didn't know that when I applied. I guess there aren't many people on here as they haven't made many offers yet.

When did you get your offer? I got mine early November.
Library made me like it... Kinda obvious though for an English student.

I also really liked the look of the music stuff, as I am a bit of a music geek....

I'm a little worried about the room sharing thing, but not for the most obvious of reasons... I have a medical thingy, which can make me a pain to live with sometimes... But useful if you ever need a plaster!

Hopefully I won't end up with a rah, or someone who hates geeky bookish types!
Hey, I'm gonna go now- I've got coursework stuff to do.

Feel free to PM me if you want to chat.
Reply 28
Good luck in your interview :smile:

i hadn't actaully looked at that and just assumed i'd have to go through london i shall do some investigative work :smile:

erm when did i get my offer let me have a look on track
looked it was the 7th of november so about the same time

yeh the library is a big plus :smile:

its been googled and i now consider myself an expert on Von Willebrands :P if you think its will eb an issue for room sharing just contact the college and i'm sure you get some kind of preference over the few single rooms if thats what you want

haha im yet to expereince what this "rah" stuff is all about but i can't wait to find out :P
Reply 29
sam151
Good luck in your interview :smile:

i hadn't actaully looked at that and just assumed i'd have to go through london i shall do some investigative work :smile:

erm when did i get my offer let me have a look on track
looked it was the 7th of november so about the same time

yeh the library is a big plus :smile:

its been googled and i now consider myself an expert on Von Willebrands :P if you think its will eb an issue for room sharing just contact the college and i'm sure you get some kind of preference over the few single rooms if thats what you want

haha im yet to expereince what this "rah" stuff is all about but i can't wait to find out :P

It'll probably be cheaper and certainly a lot quicker for you to fly, Easyjet do some pretty good deals into Newcastle, once at Newcastle airport you catch an underground train (called the Metro, similar to the Tube) and get that into Newcastle Central Station (doesn't take long) and then get a train to Durham (about ten mins away), alternatively there are buses to Durham from Newcastle but the train is quicker.
Reply 30
TheLobsterQuadrille
I think so... I'm having a mild panic over formal wear- it's so much easier for guys, you can just wear a suit, and it's fine.
I shall just have to leave this for future me to work out... :wink:

Maths? Not my subject, but I can see the appeal...

Is Durham your first choice?

If I get an offer (which I'm doubting :P ) I'll help you chose your outfit, I simply adore the idea of formals. I think a headband is required too. I love them. Don't think of it as a daunting task to chose an outfit, think of it as an OMMGGGG! Go on a shopping spree a year in advance. :smile:
Reply 31
pipsi
It'll probably be cheaper and certainly a lot quicker for you to fly, Easyjet do some pretty good deals into Newcastle, once at Newcastle airport you catch an underground train (called the Metro, similar to the Tube) and get that into Newcastle Central Station (doesn't take long) and then get a train to Durham (about ten mins away), alternatively there are buses to Durham from Newcastle but the train is quicker.

I hadn't thought of that :smile: thank you
ill have a look at flight deals from southampton in a minute actually :smile:
Where is Durham train station in relation to St Chads?
Aubydoll
If I get an offer (which I'm doubting :P ) I'll help you chose your outfit, I simply adore the idea of formals. I think a headband is required too. I love them. Don't think of it as a daunting task to chose an outfit, think of it as an OMMGGGG! Go on a shopping spree a year in advance. :smile:

It's more the daunting prospect of how formal it is meant to be... We're all unsure on here.

I don't want to be the only uber formal, or too casually dressed person
Reply 33
Well I wouldn't worry a year in advance. If they give the underdog an offer, (which they totally should mitigating circumstancess ftw! If not I'm clearly too good :wink:), I would probably get a dress for the first one, something you'd wear on a night out, or maybe something chic, a nice pair of heels, a cute hairband, and then if I'm correct in thinking there are Harry Potter gowns going around, so you shove that on. It's better to be over dressed and look your best than underdressed. I also read somewhere Chads has a little bit of green on their robes or something? That would be included in my colour scheme. :P And if not I'd probably still have some green in the scheme being that it's the college colour? :P

As for where Durham station is I'd say about ten minutes by walking. Durham isn't a massive place. Either way I'm sure there'll be plenty other students hoisting cases about. :P Why don't you just buy a suit in Durham, or Newcastle, it'll give you less to carry. :P
What are you applying for?
Reply 35
I'm applying for law. I have 3 predicted A grades, law should've been A* but my college for some reason only found out about them grades after they'd been sent off, or my law teacher at least. I unfortunetly went through a hard time in my AS year and I don't have a string of a thousand A*'s after my name for GCSEs, I have a few dozen A's though. Other than that in terms of volunteer work, charity work, clubs, jobs, responsibilities within college, personal statement, reference and probably LNAT I'm all good but I'm not sure that's enough. I'm not as fussed anymore, I'm expecting a rejection, as long as I get to study law at a half decent uni and join a rowing team I'm all set. :biggrin:
Hey, if it makes you feel any better Durham use a conversion table thingy with your GCSEs, that takes your school into account about A*s and As, etc. My school is in special measures, and if yours is anything like mine, you may get some of your As, considered as A*s by Durham. People don't often get offers until after Jan 15th, and some have to wait unitl March, so I wouldn't worry yet.

Maybe your Law teacher/Referee should contact Durham about the A* in Law.
Reply 37
Maybe, I think my GCSE results were above average at my school, on that note do they take distinctions into consideration? That'll be cool if they do. Yeah my law teacher told me some girl got an offer last year in February (she got an ABB offer for law?! So jealous!) Lol I feel like I stalk my tutor enough as it is, she was trying to assure us that A* wont really make a difference, it'll probably come across in my reference that I'm a pretty spiffy law student anyway though hopefully. Either way I'd rather be prepared for a rejection and then get an offer, or rejection, than hope for an offer & get rejected. It's weird just the other month I was half convinced not to do my LNAT because I was sure I didn't want to go to Durham. Funny how things change.
Reply 38
sam151
I hadn't thought of that :smile: thank you
ill have a look at flight deals from southampton in a minute actually :smile:
Where is Durham train station in relation to St Chads?

It's not far away, maybe a ten min walk, go to the college website, they're bound to have a little map on it somewhere with all of the important bits marked on that you could print off to find your way.
Reply 39
ok i guess it wouldn't be far, Durhams quite compact isnt it

Latest

Trending

Trending