The Student Room Group

BA History timed essay

Hi there,

I have done fine so far with normal essays and the other assessments. However, I am absolutely terrified of the timed essay. I have never done one before and I don't know how to prepare for it or how to get a half decent mark.

Potential essay questions:

Spoiler

I'm thinking that 5 or 7 will be the easiest questions to address under time pressure (one hour!) with no notes or resources.

So yes. A little help on how to go about preparing for this?

Thanks in advance.
Reply 1
You are thoroughly unhelpful. This is a serious thread and being presented with the ability to read other peoples coursework doesn't answer my question.

So no, not useful.
Reply 2
Valjean
Hi there,

I have done fine so far with normal essays and the other assessments. However, I am absolutely terrified of the timed essay. I have never done one before and I don't know how to prepare for it or how to get a half decent mark.

Potential essay questions:

Spoiler

I'm thinking that 5 or 7 will be the easiest questions to address under time pressure (one hour!) with no notes or resources.

So yes. A little help on how to go about preparing for this?

Thanks in advance.

Write on a question that you know most about, or are most enthusiastic about. Often the questions that look easiest are deceptive. The ones that look more difficult may allow you to say something more interesting. Examiners can tell how much you have read around a subject, from the way in which you write, so there's no need to mention historians if it isn't relevant. If it is, by all means mention them, but try to be critical. Mention evidence that may not support that person's view. Try to be innovative and original with this.

To get high marks, you really should try to treat it like a normal essay, minus the references. Write a short introduction, mentioning what your main points will be in the essay (spend about 5 minutes making a sketch, or plan, before writing anything). Try to include a conclusion also, but if you have two hours to answer two questions, don't go over an hour with one to the detriment of the other. I tend to do the hardest question first, so that my final hour can be relatively stress free, but that's a matter of personal preference.

Hope this helps.
Reply 3
Zoetrope
Write on a question that you know most about, or are most enthusiastic about. Often the questions that look easiest are deceptive. The ones that look more difficult may allow you to say something more interesting. Examiners can tell how much you have read around a subject, from the way in which you write, so there's no need to mention historians if it isn't relevant. If it is, by all means mention them, but try to be critical. Mention evidence that may not support that person's view. Try to be innovative and original with this.

To get high marks, you really should try to treat it like a normal essay, minus the references. Write a short introduction, mentioning what your main points will be in the essay (spend about 5 minutes making a sketch, or plan, before writing anything). Try to include a conclusion also, but if you have two hours to answer two questions, don't go over an hour with one to the detriment of the other. I tend to do the hardest question first, so that my final hour can be relatively stress free, but that's a matter of personal preference.

Hope this helps.

Yes, you have been very helpful. It is just one question we have to answer.

I think I'm going to go with the No Hitler, No Holocaust question because I know a bit about the historiography surrounding it and am very familiar with the events. It's one of the questions I can get straight on with the essay rather than having to first do general background reading on the topic.

Lugged ten relevant books home from the library today so I can get on with it. :smile:
Reply 4
Valjean
Yes, you have been very helpful. It is just one question we have to answer.

I think I'm going to go with the No Hitler, No Holocaust question because I know a bit about the historiography surrounding it and am very familiar with the events. It's one of the questions I can get straight on with the essay rather than having to first do general background reading on the topic.

Lugged ten relevant books home from the library today so I can get on with it. :smile:

Yeah, that has the benefit of being quite a broad question, so you can choose what to talk about (e.g. Goldhagen versus Browning, which is slightly tired now, or the prevalence of eugenics throughout the west in this period, or even the fact that people like Goebbels were fiercely anti-Semitic). Sorry, I don't mean to influence any of your ideas, I'm just thinking aloud really!

Latest

Trending

Trending