The Student Room Group

selling domain which has search engine ranking 5

if my site is ranked within 10 in Search Engine(google, yahoo, msn etc).

and I point the domain to a completely different hosting company where there arent any contents, how long does it take for it to feel the impact ? how long does it take for the ranking to plumit ?

I mean, i have a domain ranked within the first page of the Search engine for a very very popular keyword.

and id like to sell that domain. obviously i will be selling the domain and the work i did on ranking very high. but after the domain transfer the rank will fall unless the contents of the buyer's website is good enough.

how much do you think ppl will pay for this (say rank 5 in google, msn, yahoo for a keyword=education)
Reply 1
I think it might depend on how popular the domain name is. For example, if you have a really popular domain name google might visit it quite frequently and pick up very quickly any changes in content. However, all search engines use different algorithms, etc to determine rankings but there are probably some common features. As for how much someone would pay for it I'm not sure. Do you know what the google pagerank is for your site? That would tell you if there are a lot of people linking to it. Remember its not just what the rank is for one keyword because not everyone is going to use the same keyword when searching.
Reply 2
what exactly is the Page rank ?

isnt that the ranking you see on the search engine when i type in a keyword ?
Reply 3
FTSE100
what exactly is the Page rank ?

isnt that the ranking you see on the search engine when i type in a keyword ?

No, its something that google do. If you install the google toolbar and go to any site it will show you the pagerank of that website at the top of the screen.
Reply 4
ok what is page rank then ?

what does it mean to have a page rank for example 1, how does it differ to page rank 100 ?????

thanks
Reply 5
Whats your average hits per day?
Reply 6
around 5000
Reply 7
What about visitors? I have a site that at peak got about 25,000 hits a day. Page ranking doesn't really contribute towards price as much as it used to now.

You would most definatly have to sell the website with content to maintain that ranking, due to keyword density. Linking willl however provide the new owner with a good ranking in its own right.

How much roughly are you looking for the domain? What is it?
Reply 8
i m not valuing much on the domain, but looking for at least 2000 quid for the work I did on ranking that high.

companies spend lots on internet marketing. esp Pay per click.

companies will not use Pay per click if their site is obviously ranked high.
Reply 9
FTSE100
ok what is page rank then ?

what does it mean to have a page rank for example 1, how does it differ to page rank 100 ?????

thanks

A pagerank is google's way of determining how popular a website is. It can range from 0 to 10 with 10 being the best. Unfortunately (or maybe some would say fortunately?), google does not reveal its pagerank algorithm although there are many people who have tried to guess it. One thing for certain is the more sites that link to you the better the pagerank you will have. However, in order for each site to have an impact you will need popular sites to link to you.
Reply 10
so, how much would you value a domain that ranks very high up for a popular keyword ?
Reply 11
Put on Sedo and see what bids you get. It is hard to access the value since it is impossible to access the demand. You should get atleast £500. I know a site that ranked top 10 for PSP, highly competitive and got just £500. Really does vary on the demand.
Reply 12
im not valuing much on the name it self.

i want to charge ppl on the work i did on ranking that high up.
Reply 13
It was for £500 domain and contents.

Why don't you just advertise on it?... A lot. You could easily get £300 a month.
Reply 14
how do i advertise ??

and dont give me any pay per click sorts.
FTSE100
how do i advertise ??

and dont give me any pay per click sorts.

Why not? You can make quite a bit off Google Ads.
And if you get that many hits you could sell banner advertising to people/companies.
Reply 16
Jenni_Kitten
Why not? You can make quite a bit off Google Ads.
And if you get that many hits you could sell banner advertising to people/companies.

I agree with that but with something like Google Adsense you need a lot of traffic to ensure you get enough clicks. But at the same time Google allows you to make the ads look like they're actual content so people are more likely to click them. Plus you can filter competitors ads quite effectively.

Latest

Trending

Trending