4. “Full body flush”
Set the Clock to 15 Minutes
From 0-6 Minutes
80 Calories on the AD
From 6-11 Minutes
15 Wallballs 10kg
10 Alternating DB Snatch 22.5kg
From 11-15 Minutes
20 KB Swings 24kg
= All done at a moderate pace
My notes from the Klokov seminar if anyone is interested (ask me if you have any q's, it's all in basic not format on my phone(
Lifts for max of the day at that given lift. Depending on how you feel that could be really heavy or relatively light. Don't do lifts that you aren't confident of getting as you will only reinforce bad lifts. Eg. He snatch 180 during the week but 'only' snatched 160 today as he wasn't feeling it.
The max for the day concept with little to no misses is all over Russian and Chinese styles too. There may be something to this malarkey...
On American lifting "Americans are cool to hang out with but only lift small weights" - hero!
1) first pull up the just above the knee.
- whole shoulder over the bar.
- narrow stance, toes pointing out
- legs doing all the work
- aiming for a straight shin at the top position
- bar starts in contact with the shins and stays in contact with the body
- back angle remains constant throughout
2) contact drill and high pull
- start standing. Use the arms to bang the bar against the power point
- lower to just above the knee and do a snatch pull contacting hard at the power point and bringing the bar up the body with an elbow bend (no shrug) to the bottom of the chest. Elbows to be pointing up and you should be on your toes where you will hold.
- go straight up, no leaning back.
3) feet slide drill.
- this is a drop snatch from the toes with the bar starting on your head.
- put clips outside your feel and use the slide to kick them away.
- he's big on not jumping so the clips is used to get you to concentrate on sliding rather than jumping and landing.
4) combine it all for a full snatch
Make sure that you are always looking forward. Looking downs causes the upper back to weaken and you'll loose it.
Clean & jerk drills
1) contact drill again with the bar banging just above the knee.
- same drill for the contact I.e. Arms doing the work
- the pull ends at the waist band with a small elbow bend and on your toes.
- elbows will be pointed up send shoulders will be slightly forward at the top of the pull (think chest caving in as an idea of how it looks).
- again no shrug and concentrate on going up and not back.
2) jerk drill from the toes with the bar starting on your head.
- Clip in front to again slide out and kick
- narrower (and shorter) finishing position than normal
- finish with the back front straight and the front toe slightly in as normal
- great cue to make someone go straight down instead of forward is to shove a fist an inch from their face!
3) combine it all for a dull clean and jerk
Again always look forward.
Weak legs exercises
1) Snatch grip deadlift off two 25's
(You can do 2 dreads plus one snatch)
2) Squat slowly down pause at the bottom to divide the two movements and up as fast as possible
More front than back squats. 70/30 split.
Weak back exercise
1) Snatch grip straight leg deadlift off two 25's (You can do 2 dreads plus one snatch)
2) snatch grip deadlift with normal grip (I.e no hook grip) this helps train your grip. This is used in a warm up until it fails then move to hook grip or straps (this can be used to warm up for snatch too)
3) hyperextensions with a bar. Up fast and and control/slight pause at the top. Most athletes start with this and squat for ages before the are allowed to do rest
4) snatch from the hang with a pause at the knee. Longer pauses for lighter weights. Hold until you've tired but not tired enough to snatch. Always look forward.
1) use most days 5x5 ascending. Best for the snatch. Feet don't move. Stand bad goes into the hip and bend completely over with the bar still in your hip then to a high pull up to your chin and bring it back into your hips straight away. Use straps for this as the bar goes a above your chest and your wrists take everything. Weight is not important, technique is. Get someone to show you this one.
2) muscle snatch onto plates to work the explosiveness of the legs. Work different heights.
3) (works the same as 2). Jumping back squats. Do this after squats 3 times a week. Weight is not important, speed and maximum height is. 5x5 ascending.
Weak arms for the jerk.
1) press/ push press/ split leg press/ handstand press ups on boxes.
Weak arms for the snatch
1) klokov press. Behind the neck wide grip strict press. Do reps then and oh squat for the 5th rep.
He prefers 2) sots press and on the 5th rep he stands (oh squat).
3) drop snatch as heavy as possible.
If you don't think that you're gonna get a lift don't do it. Only lift as heavy as you feel good about that day.
Drop snatch gets you very confident for snatching so you drop snatch more than you snatch.
4) to keep the bar from going in front in the snatch. Definitely use straps. 4 rows from squat to bottom of squat position and then finish by standing up on the 5th rep.
5) jumping forward in the snatch position - broad jumps as far as possible. Strains balance and receiving positing. 10 jumps.
Bench kills flexibility and doesn't help jerk
Squat max 3 times a week
Monday/Wednesdays/Fridays mornings snatch and 4 other snatch exercises
Evenings clean & jerk and 4 other clean exercises
Tuesday/ Thursday/Saturday one workout on strength
Diet and flexibility
Once a month one day fast to clean out the system.
Eats lots of salad and looks after digestion. Eat porridge and lots of probiotic (In mother Russia we say **** paleo and kick it old school da).
Stretching. Small bit 2/3 mins before workout and after on the whole body. More is a lot of stress for the body as it's a micro stress for the body.