The Student Room Group

Soldiers deserve footballers wages!

Scroll to see replies

I got neg repped for this thread from someone who sounds like they're agreeing with me: "Explosions do hurt, but they are hired killers and they know the risks. Paying soldiers high wages is the worst idea ever, and thanks for the neg
Rep, have some back".

So... thanks?
Staatssicherheit
Well as I reside in a capitalist country where success is based on wealth it means they deserve it.

When someone says "Oh Jack's doing well for himself" they mean it in terms of how well off he is.

Based on morals they probably don't deserve it, but money makes the world go round.

What? Capitalism doesn't say anybody deserves anything. Success being based on wealth has nothing to do with the question of whether capitalism is just. It says what people are entitled to which is completely different. Again, you say that 'money makes the world go around' as if this fact justifies it.
tomheppy
What? Capitalism doesn't say anybody deserves anything. Success being based on wealth has nothing to do with the question of whether capitalism is just. It says what people are entitled to which is completely different. Again, you say that 'money makes the world go around' as if this fact justifies it.

All I am saying is that if the footballers make large sums of money for their clubs surely they should have large salaries.

If I went fishing with my friend and I caught ten fish and he only caught one then I would deserve to get paid more when we sold them.

If you bring in lots of money you deserve to be paid with accordingly high amounts.
TheRealDarthVader
We are all very grateful to the soldiers who risked and lost their lives in both World Wars, but is there much to be grateful about those in Afghanistan or Iraq? Perhaps that was just Bush and Blair in their thirst for oil, but unlike the 1940s, these current soldiers had the choice to sign on. Like I asked in another thread earlier; would you run across a motorway to save your family? Would you run across a motorway as a job?

I completely agree with this - soldiers join the Army in the full knowledge that it will involve harsh conditions and death; shooting people and living with the possibility of getting killed is part of the job description. I'm not saying that soldiers don't deserve our support, of course they do because they do a tough job. But to treat each and every soldir as a "hero" mystifies me. For those who go out of their way to help others, such as that guy who threw himself on top of a bomb to protect his fellow soldiers, that's heroism. But being sent to Iraq/Afghanistan to fight the enemy, as part of his job? Is that so "heroic", seeing as they joined knowing they will be sent by a government to fight?

Similarly, those who have had to suffer amputation or other war wounds - it's one of the drawbacks of the job. They're hugely brave, obviously, to go and do a job where it is obvious that personal pain is a risk, but I don't see how it's "heroic" to get injured whilst doing your job. Is a skydiver, who knows there is the risk of death, and whose parachute fails and breaks bones/dies, a hero?

In an ideal world, they would get the same payment as footballers. But to say they "deserve" them, just for being a (voluntary rather than conscripted) soldier...I just don't agree.
Staatssicherheit
Well as I reside in a capitalist country where success is based on wealth it means they deserve it.

When someone says "Oh Jack's doing well for himself" they mean it in terms of how well off he is.

Based on morals they probably don't deserve it, but money makes the world go round.

Nope, gravity makes the world go round. Money spreads evil and corruption.
Staatssicherheit
All I am saying is that if the footballers make large sums of money for their clubs surely they should have large salaries.

If I went fishing with my friend and I caught ten fish and he only caught one then I would deserve to get paid more when we sold them.

If you bring in lots of money you deserve to be paid with accordingly high amounts.

False. If my friend becomes a serial killer and brings in loads of money for his assasin company does he deserve all of that. There is no necessary connection between making money and the making of that money being morally justified.
CinderellaDontGo

Thank you, sire!
TheRealDarthVader

We are all very grateful to the soldiers who risked and lost their lives in both World Wars, but is there much to be grateful about those in Afghanistan or Iraq? Perhaps that was just Bush and Blair in their thirst for oil, but unlike the 1940s, these current soldiers had the choice to sign on. Like I asked in another thread earlier; would you run across a motorway to save your family? Would you run across a motorway as a job?

This is kind of true. I have very little sympathy for those who signed up just to go fight in Iraq/Afghanistan but the vast majority were already signed up and couldn't not fight without being punished.
cactussed
I completely agree with this - soldiers join the Army in the full knowledge that it will involve harsh conditions and death; shooting people and living with the possibility of getting killed is part of the job description. I'm not saying that soldiers don't deserve our support, of course they do because they do a tough job. But to treat each and every soldir as a "hero" mystifies me. For those who go out of their way to help others, such as that guy who threw himself on top of a bomb to protect his fellow soldiers, that's heroism. But being sent to Iraq/Afghanistan to fight the enemy, as part of his job? Is that so "heroic", seeing as they joined knowing they will be sent by a government to fight?

Similarly, those who have had to suffer amputation or other war wounds - it's one of the drawbacks of the job. They're hugely brave, obviously, to go and do a job where it is obvious that personal pain is a risk, but I don't see how it's "heroic" to get injured whilst doing your job. Is a skydiver, who knows there is the risk of death, and whose parachute fails and breaks bones/dies, a hero?

In an ideal world, they would get the same payment as footballers. But to say they "deserve" them, just for being a (voluntary rather than conscripted) soldier...I just don't agree.

In an ideal world we wouldn't have soldiers. Why should they get paid as much in an ideal world? Anyone can sign up and go kill some poor brown people; soldiers are just doing a job. And footballers not only generate millions they are also highly skilled athletes. Do you realize how difficult it is to even play professionally in one of the lower leagues? Let alone In the top leagues in the world.
Reply 29
CinderellaDontGo

That would be conservation of angular momentum :wink:
Reply 30
Norfolkadam
Footballers deserve soldiers' wages would have been a better group.

Hmmm, I guess but if the footballer is earning a lot more for the club he does deserve a proportion of that and people seem more than happy to pay ridiculous sums of money to watch them.

Norfolkadam

But yeah I am getting a bit fed up with people jumping on a swinging about from the Help for Heroes bandwagon.

You could argue that the soldiers know the risks when they go out there and they're just doing their job...:dontknow:
bigmo7

You could argue that the soldiers know the risks when they go out there and they're just doing their job...:dontknow:

I do argue that.
Reply 32
CinderellaDontGo
In an ideal world we wouldn't have soldiers. Why should they get paid as much in an ideal world? Anyone can sign up and go kill some poor brown people; soldiers are just doing a job. And footballers not only generate millions they are also highly skilled athletes. Do you realize how difficult it is to even play professionally in one of the lower leagues? Let alone In the top leagues in the world.

:facepalm2:

What are you talking about?! You say it as if it's easy just to kill someone. :rolleyes:
Edgey
That would be conservation of angular momentum :wink:

No, tht big hot yella thingy uses it's gravity pull and makes all planets in solar system go round like ferris wheel.

^^Thats the technical term^^
CinderellaDontGo

I don't think you read my post properly...nowhere did I say footballers don't deserve what they earn or that being one is easy.

And yeah, in a completely ideal world we wouldn't need soldiers - or countries and borders for that matter. But they do do an undeniably tough job, so they could merit higher wages than they do now, of which the same could be said for the police, NHS staff, even members of the Government.
Anyone can shoot a gun.
If soldiers got paid footballers wages... everyone would be a soldier... it would be worth it to them.
But its a guaranteed job to those that have no other option.
bigmo7
:facepalm2:

What are you talking about?! You say it as if it's easy just to kill someone. :rolleyes:

It's not easy; but you don't need an education to do it and anyone can sign up. I'm sure shooting someone or watching your friends die is far from easy. But when you sign up you know the risks.
tomheppy
False. If my friend becomes a serial killer and brings in loads of money for his assasin company does he deserve all of that. There is no necessary connection between making money and the making of that money being morally justified.

Yes he does deserve it.
Reply 38
So many idiotic Facebook groups these days reflect a lack of rational thought and decent education.
Reply 39
No. Absolute nonsense.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending