The Student Room Group
Reply 1
no, luck is temporary and part of success. But gold will glitter forever. Do you understand me?
Reply 2
tbh depends what time of success you mean. almost anyone could ascent Everest with training and determination, but I would assume a lesser percentage of people could become brain surgeons with pure determination.

I don't understand how luck is different from talent and ability in this context; a person is lucky to be talented and able.
Reply 3
sherryxue
no, luck is temporary and part of success. But gold will glitter forever. Do you understand me?

I get what you mean, its how i was thinking about it
Reply 4
talent and ability get you onto a higher platform from which luck can play it's role
Reply 5
You make your own luck.
Reply 6
What happens to you in life is partly down to your own choices, but luck and chance play a large part too.
cpj1987
You make your own luck.

This.

Luck doesn't find you. You have to do something to get that lucky break or whatever. Plus luck won't carry you far unless you have the talent and determination etc, and it's certainly not something you can right on a CV :yep:
I believe luck is a large part of success.

Bill Gates for example was born in the right place at the right time. If he had been born say, 5 years later, he wouldn't have been able to capitalise on the home computing boom. Plain and simple. Same if he was born in some impoverished war torn country. How exactly did he 'make' that luck then? A lot of the big players in the computing industry like Bill Gates were all born around the same time in the same country. You think that's coincidence? Of course not.

If you're born with good looks, you have everything so much easier. Naturally you'll have more confidence and higher self esteem which makes it easier to succeed in all aspects of life. Where do you think Angelina Jolie would be right now if she was ugly or even just average looking? Probably in some crap job because her success sure as hell isn't purely down to her ability as an actress.

What about love and relationships? Something most people consider very important and a main source of happiness in adult life. Do you think someone who is born hideously deformed is going to succeed in this aspect? How can they possibly make their own luck here?

Luck is a huge, huge part of success in my opinion.
Reply 9
ShowMeYourSpine
I believe luck is a large part of success.

Bill Gates for example was born in the right place at the right time. If he had been born say, 5 years later, he wouldn't have been able to capitalise on the home computing boom. Plain and simple. Same if he was born in some impoverished war torn country. How exactly did he 'make' that luck then? A lot of the big players in the computing industry like Bill Gates were all born around the same time in the same country. You think that's coincidence? Of course not.

If either of these had been the case, he wouldn't have been the Bill Gates that exists now. Thus, it wouldn't have been his bad luck - it would be an entirely different person with every chance to make their own luck.
Taking people who exist now and claiming that you don't make your own luck, and that luck is a requirement because they needed to be born into certain circumstances, is flawed.
You need talent, ability and luck. Although it depends on your definition of success.

Also, to those saying you make your own luck, I agree that you can maximise your chances of good things happening by putting yourself in the right situations etc. However that does not mean that they will happen. Some people are just in the right place at the right time (with the talent and ability to capitalise on it) and others aren't. So you can maximise your chances, but that doesn't mean you'll make it, so I disagree that you make your own luck.
Reply 11
I think luck is simply something we all associate with success. It’s something we’ve ‘made-up’ to explain why we’ve done particularly well at something we didn’t expect to do so at. Luck – to me – is non-existent but things can occur by chance.
h_a_f_s_a
I think luck is simply something we all associate with success. It’s something we’ve ‘made-up’ to explain why we’ve done particularly well at something we didn’t expect to do so at. Luck to me is non-existent but things can occur by chance.

Well I'm defining luck as improbable good things happening to you in the past. i.e. If I won 4 coin flips in a row to win a bet, I would have been lucky.
Reply 13
Bit of both; occassionally where one depends on the other.

E.g. when sitting a Maths exam, you can have a 'good' paper but you won't get 100% if you have no Mathematical ability.

:dontknow:
cpj1987
You make your own luck.

I agree with this for the most part.
With the exceptions of a few things (being hit by a meteorite stuck by lightning etc.)

Though I think it is more to you capitalize on the opportunities you get and make yourself or to you shy away for fear they will go wrong.
I certainly do.

Latest

Trending

Trending