The Student Room Group
I would say get hockey skates,

Figure skate have a kind of cog like thing at the front (hard to explain) which can get caught when you are skating, particularly when going fast, sending you flying.

Apart from that I'm not entirely sure about the differences. If you have a local Ice rink then they may well sell skates, in which case you could ask them about it, and try some on. Additionally if you are planning to get skates of the internet because of the price, you should take into account that shops often offer custom fitting and blade sharpening in the price, (or could throw them in if you talk to them).

When buying skates the most important thing is that they fit you (with thin socks, not thick ones), because if the foot moves around while you are skating, it can get quite uncomfortable.

Good Luck, and I hope that helps.
Reply 2
fat_hampster
I would say get hockey skates,

Figure skate have a kind of cog like thing at the front (hard to explain) which can get caught when you are skating, particularly when going fast, sending you flying.

Apart from that I'm not entirely sure about the differences. If you have a local Ice rink then they may well sell skates, in which case you could ask them about it, and try some on. Additionally if you are planning to get skates of the internet because of the price, you should take into account that shops often offer custom fitting and blade sharpening in the price, (or could throw them in if you talk to them).

When buying skates the most important thing is that they fit you (with thin socks, not thick ones), because if the foot moves around while you are skating, it can get quite uncomfortable.

Good Luck, and I hope that helps.

Thanks for your help! :smile:
Btw, Do u have any idea how often the blades need to be sharpened, if i use my skates once a week? Or how much it is to sharpen them?
thanks =) x
FurryApricote
Thanks for your help! :smile:
Btw, Do u have any idea how often the blades need to be sharpened, if i use my skates once a week? Or how much it is to sharpen them?
thanks =) x

Hey, I'm not sure how often the blades need to be sharpened. I don't actually own my own skates (yet) but I was intending to get some at the beginning of this term, and did quite a lot of research. Unfortunately due to my timetable and illness I haven't done much skating this term, and subsequently haven't yet gotten round to buying skates.

Anyway, I can't remember how often they need to be sharpened, but a quick google should be able to help you with that question.
Reply 4
fat_hampster
Hey, I'm not sure how often the blades need to be sharpened. I don't actually own my own skates (yet) but I was intending to get some at the beginning of this term, and did quite a lot of research. Unfortunately due to my timetable and illness I haven't done much skating this term, and subsequently haven't yet gotten round to buying skates.

Anyway, I can't remember how often they need to be sharpened, but a quick google should be able to help you with that question.

Aw.. well I hope that you get better soon & get back on the ice sometime =) its brilliant!
anyway, i googled it and incase you wanted to know:
In general, figure skates need sharpening after about forty hours of ice skating. Figure skaters can determine that their blades need sharpening when the blades start to slide sideways too easily.

^_^
depends what you want to use your ice skates for, if its just general skating then ice hockey skates would be better for speed and manoeuvre.
Figure skating is better for jumps, spins and that.
I wouldnt go overboard with the price especially if you are just doing general skating but at the same time I wouldnt go for a cheap pair.

I dont know about sharpening hockey skates, but for figure skates, if you look at the blade straight on there should be noticeable ridges on the outside part of the blade and then the centre of the blade should be hollow, when the ridges are the same as the hollow and theres no difference in height you need to get them sharpened.
when trying skates on bang your heel on the floor to make sure that your heel goes to the end of the skate, that way you know they fit and it makes sure that you have enough ankle support

I figure skate :smile:
Reply 6
whysoserious
depends what you want to use your ice skates for, if its just general skating then ice hockey skates would be better for speed and manoeuvre.
Figure skating is better for jumps, spins and that.
I wouldnt go overboard with the price especially if you are just doing general skating but at the same time I wouldnt go for a cheap pair.

I dont know about sharpening hockey skates, but for figure skates, if you look at the blade straight on there should be noticeable ridges on the outside part of the blade and then the centre of the blade should be hollow, when the ridges are the same as the hollow and theres no difference in height you need to get them sharpened.
when trying skates on bang your heel on the floor to make sure that your heel goes to the end of the skate, that way you know they fit and it makes sure that you have enough ankle support

I figure skate :smile:

Thanks for your help. It is just general skating that i do but i can do simple 2 feet spins, However i really dont want to get hockey skates, they're so boyish! I like the elegant look about the figure skates lol. I've seen ones that are £60 that im interested in. Whats your opinion on that?
yeah the 1st pair I got was £55 ... and they were perfect
Its down to personal choice really but if you like the look of them then great just make sure that they fit well, you wont know how comfortable they are until you are on the ice really and it may take a couple of sakting sessions until you adjust to them.

Make sure you dry the blades as soon as possible after skating, most blades are carbon steel and the water "could" rust them, but Iv never heard or had that problem.

Latest

Trending

Trending