The Student Room Group

The Contraceptive Thread - information and questions

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
It could be more than that. I have a friend who just missed her period that month (given the situation obviously very concerning for her). Your period can also start a lot earlier. If it starts early then just deal with it as you normally do if you are late then it is probably best to take a test just to be sure that you aren't pregnant.
Please keep anon or delete.

After using condoms with my boyfriend throughout our relationship, I decided to go on the pill to make things a bit easier. I've been on it for three weeks now, and as a result, have put on a tiny bit of weight and my skin's gotten quite spotty. I'm on a particularly nasty pill (microgynon) too. Then my boyfriend dumped me, so it feels like it was all for nothing.

So my question is, is it worth continuing taking the pill? I can't see myself sleeping with anyone for a while now, and I've been hearing all these horror stories of symptoms of microgynon, and mine are probably just going to keep getting worse.
You don't know that they're going to get worse. To be honest, I did put on weight and get a bit moody, but that's cleared up now and I've lost most of the weight again. Plus I have a total control over periods. It might be worth it if you get drunk and have sex without a condom. Handy backup.
i'd stay on it, might as well as if you get a new boyfriend you'll already be prepared. you could also go back to the docs and ask for a different pill
Swap for another type of pill, see if that works better then this one.

come off if its not doing anything for you at the moment but stay on if its helping you in other ways then concepetion and its made it better for you and you cant control pain without it.

i.e does it help with pain? if not is it worth staying off or if it helps can you control the pain yourself etc etc.
I was on microgyon for 2 years but fortunatly I didnt have ANY side effects, when me and my bf broke up after 2 years I still stayed on it cos I preferred to control when I have my period. However after bout 3 months I came off it to give my body a break as I' been on it for a while. If I were you I would come off it, and when you do have sex again ask your doctor to put you on a diff pill as maybe microgyon isn't for you.
Reply 26
Normally it takes up to 3 months for your body to settle down when you start taking the pill.
If it benefits you in other ways (for example lighter, less painful periods, for some people better skin, bigger boobs [yey for small boobed people like me], also you can take your pill back to back to have a longer period free time).

However if your getting loads of negative side effects then its up to you if you want to take it or not or switch to another pill. Do the pros outweigh the cons?
Reply 27
Ive just had my period..turns out the pill hasn't messed with my cycle afterall...never been sooooo happy for a period before lol
Hi guys,
I take the pill every day at 1 am before i sleep, today around 5pm i had diahrrea, it wasnt severe but im scared it would mean i have missed a pill. I am supposed to take the last pill of the packet tonight at 1am. I am i still protected?

Also i am planning to start the next pack of pills straight away and not have a period this month, has anyone done this and has it effected them in any way? I was on the pill for 6 months, took a months break and this is the first month back.
Any help would be great :smile:
I've been on the pill for a while but have come off a few times due to varying reasons that don't really matter enough to make a difference to what I'm about to say.
I started back on my pill, cilest, five days ago and have taken it as instructed but I just wonder about this whole 'same time every day' lark. I usually take it around five every day but the other day I forgot to take it at this time, realised at about half ten at night and took it then. This shouldn't make it less effective should it?
Apologies for my stupidity!
Reply 30
One quick question, how long does it normally take until I start my period after taking the morning after pill, I am currently on the 17th day of my cycle :s-smilie:
Will I bleed within a few hours/days or do I have to wait until day 28 to know if it worked? My cycle is normally like clockwork.
Reply 31
Anonymous
Hi guys,
I take the pill every day at 1 am before i sleep, today around 5pm i had diahrrea, it wasnt severe but im scared it would mean i have missed a pill. I am supposed to take the last pill of the packet tonight at 1am. I am i still protected?

Also i am planning to start the next pack of pills straight away and not have a period this month, has anyone done this and has it effected them in any way? I was on the pill for 6 months, took a months break and this is the first month back.
Any help would be great :smile:

Nah, that's like 18 hours after you took it, right? Should be fine, as long as you took the next one on time too.

When I was on microgynon I ran them together occasionally with no problems. You might get a bit of breakthrough bleeding but that's all.
Reply 32
Anonymous
One quick question, how long does it normally take until I start my period after taking the morning after pill, I am currently on the 17th day of my cycle :s-smilie:
Will I bleed within a few hours/days or do I have to wait until day 28 to know if it worked? My cycle is normally like clockwork.

Nobody can tell. Some people bleed within a few days after the MAP, others don't for some time. I'm afraid there's no way we can tell what will happen to your body - just take that test if your period doesn't come.
Reply 33
About a month ago i took the morning after pill, then they gave me the contraceptive pill and told me to start it on my next period on the first day, I did but now my period has been going on stop and start for about 3 weeks, did i do something wrong and has any else experienced this? Thanks
Reply 34
why is it that people say they are period free when on the pill?? Don't you bleed during your seven day break?
Please keep anon as I don't want anyone I know to see this

Basically I'm just a bit worried.. probably with no reason. I've been taking the pill for around 8 months now, and for the past four months, or three months, I basically decided to take it without a break, as I couldn't be bothered having a period.

During the past few weeks I've been experiencing some spotting.. cramps, headaches, and extreme tiredness, also needing to wee more than usual.

Im kinda scared what if I'm pregnant and cos I stupidly havent been having the breaks I havent realised. I think there have been occasions over the past few months where I havent taken the pill every single day like your meant to :frown:

I know this is probably me just worrying too much.. but its doing my head in!
Reply 36
thats pretty normal if youre running packs together but if you need reassurance take a test
Reply 37
take 2 tests to be sure, one a few days after the first
Reply 38
i think that these symptoms are because you haven't been having breaks, not because you are pregnant

why don't you take a test? or see the doctor? and maybe start taking the pill properly with breaks like you should, it can't be doing your body any good, taking it all the time like this
does it actually do your body harm not having breaks? cos i thote it didnt :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest