The Student Room Group

The Contraceptive Thread - information and questions

Scroll to see replies

First: I went on the pill recently, (start of July) for the first time and because I had a few important events on my week off I didnt want to risk a period on them so I ran two packs together. For the past seven days (well eight now) which is the third week of pill taking on the second pack i have been having a light period. I never have a period this long - and it isn't my week off. Is this just what can normally happen when you first start the pill?

Secondly: Because I ran two packs together, does it technically mean that I am only on week two of my cycle, because I took pills during the pill-free week? Or by taking the pills on the pill-free week I effectively made that week the start of the pill-taking? I'd like to know so that I know when to have a pill free week.
Reply 81
smoosabitmega
First: I went on the pill recently, (start of July) for the first time and because I had a few important events on my week off I didnt want to risk a period on them so I ran two packs together. For the past seven days (well eight now) which is the third week of pill taking on the second pack i have been having a light period. I never have a period this long - and it isn't my week off. Is this just what can normally happen when you first start the pill?

Secondly: Because I ran two packs together, does it technically mean that I am only on week two of my cycle, because I took pills during the pill-free week? Or by taking the pills on the pill-free week I effectively made that week the start of the pill-taking? I'd like to know so that I know when to have a pill free week.

It's quite common to have breakthrough bleeding if you run packs together. Probably when you do have a break, you will have a full bleed and then it will stop.

For your second question, you just have your break at the end of the pack (so after 6 weeks of continuous pill taking). You don't need to try and calculate it or anything.
I have a doctor's appointment this week and i'm hoping to be able to go on the pill because due to a lot of reasons (massive pain being the biggest) condoms just aren't the best for my boyfriend and i. Anyway 2 weeks ago I took the morning after pill, is this going to in any way affect when i can go on the contraceptive pill? Just wondering really.

Oh also, i have the most irregular periods ever (like a couple of months between them), this shouldn't be a problem in relation to the pill though right? I'll just have to not have sex for 7 days to be sure i'm protected isn't it?

Sorry if any of this is obvious, I just want to be sure!
Reply 83
Anonymous
I have a doctor's appointment this week and i'm hoping to be able to go on the pill because due to a lot of reasons (massive pain being the biggest) condoms just aren't the best for my boyfriend and i. Anyway 2 weeks ago I took the morning after pill, is this going to in any way affect when i can go on the contraceptive pill? Just wondering really.

Oh also, i have the most irregular periods ever (like a couple of months between them), this shouldn't be a problem in relation to the pill though right? I'll just have to not have sex for 7 days to be sure i'm protected isn't it?

Sorry if any of this is obvious, I just want to be sure!

You may need to have a pregnancy test before you start the pill, but apart from that it shouldn't be a problem. As for the irregular periods, no, that's not an issue - just start whenever you like and use condoms/avoid sex for the first 7 days.
Helenia
You may need to have a pregnancy test before you start the pill, but apart from that it shouldn't be a problem. As for the irregular periods, no, that's not an issue - just start whenever you like and use condoms/avoid sex for the first 7 days.

OK cool, thank you.
Reply 85
I have a querie, basically when I went to get my pills the lady at the clinic told me to start them on the first day of my period. However on the first day I was out and didn’t take it until about 11 at night when I got home but I decided I would prefer to take them in the morning at 8.00 so the next day I started my 8.00 am routine of taking it. I was wondering would this time change have an impact on the effectiveness of the pill. The reason I ask I because I had sex without a condom yesterday, I have one pill left to take in this pack tomorrow and am wondering how safe that was. All help would be appreciated.
Reply 86
Maryk
I have a querie, basically when I went to get my pills the lady at the clinic told me to start them on the first day of my period. However on the first day I was out and didn’t take it until about 11 at night when I got home but I decided I would prefer to take them in the morning at 8.00 so the next day I started my 8.00 am routine of taking it. I was wondering would this time change have an impact on the effectiveness of the pill. The reason I ask I because I had sex without a condom yesterday, I have one pill left to take in this pack tomorrow and am wondering how safe that was. All help would be appreciated.

So you had sex yesterday, but started your pack of pills almost 3 weeks ago? That will be fine. As long as there's 7 days between you starting to take it and having unprotected sex (or you start on the first day of your period) there's nothing to worry about.
Reply 87
ok that is good to hear! So it doesn't matter the first day i took it was at 11 pm and from then on i changed the time to 8am? xx
Reply 88
Maryk
ok that is good to hear! So it doesn't matter the first day i took it was at 11 pm and from then on i changed the time to 8am? xx

If that was more than a week ago, no, it doesn't matter at all. Try to stick to the same time in future and you'll be fine!
Reply 89
ok thank you so much xx
Reply 90
One other thing, which medicines affect the pill? I have been taking a strong cough medicine over the past week. Will this matter at all? xxx
Reply 91
Maryk
One other thing, which medicines affect the pill? I have been taking a strong cough medicine over the past week. Will this matter at all? xxx

The main type of medication which affects the pill are antibiotics. Its very unlikely that your medicine will affect the pill but there are a few random ones. If you are worried then pop into a pharmacy and ask :smile:
Just switched from cerazette to marvelon

Anyone here on Marvelon and what are your experiances?
Hey! How many times can you take the morning after pill in one cycle? Due to complicated medical reasons, the GP at my surgery won't put me on long term contraception at the moment, and me and my boyfriend HATE sex with condoms (we've both been tested so it's OK on that score). I have taken it three times this cycle, and twice the cycle before...I am really worried it will screw me up badly.
Reply 94
Ice_Queen
Hey! How many times can you take the morning after pill in one cycle? Due to complicated medical reasons, the GP at my surgery won't put me on long term contraception at the moment, and me and my boyfriend HATE sex with condoms (we've both been tested so it's OK on that score). I have taken it three times this cycle, and twice the cycle before...I am really worried it will screw me up badly.

That doesn't sound good. Surely it's called "emergency" for a reason?!

Even if you hate it use a condom!!! Surely you'll be mucking around so much with your hormones?!

I think I read that it can give you mood swings? I've cried practically every day since I've taken it. =/ I usually only cry a few days before my period and that's the only time I cry each month...

I'm fed up of feeling on the brink of tears!!
Reply 95
ALso, maybe you could try a family planning clinic for different advice other than your gp?
I know, I know...but the effect on my mood isn't obvious (ultraultra rapid cycling bipolar disorder due to the new medication) so I don't mind about that, I just want to know if it will affect my health. We nearly had unprotected sex again today (making it four times in the cycle and three days in a row!) but we stopped in time- I hate having to 'finish him off' just because he wears a condom, it's depressing.
Do NOT use the MAP that much! From the Levonelle website:
'Levonelle One Step® should be reserved for emergencies only but there is no medical reason why you can't use Levonelle more than once.

If you really need Levonelle One Step®, it can be used when necessary but should not replace long-term methods of contraception.

Moreover, if you do take it more than once, it is more likely to alter the timing of your next period which means you could be putting yourself at a greater risk of pregnancy.'

'There is no medical reason why you can't use Levonelle One Step® as often as necessary, but you should try not to take it more than once in any one cycle...'
The bits in bold are what you are doing. Just use condoms or don't have sex.
Reply 98
Ice_Queen
I know, I know...but the effect on my mood isn't obvious (ultraultra rapid cycling bipolar disorder due to the new medication) so I don't mind about that, I just want to know if it will affect my health. We nearly had unprotected sex again today (making it four times in the cycle and three days in a row!) but we stopped in time- I hate having to 'finish him off' just because he wears a condom, it's depressing.

I don't think what you are doing is a very good idea. A more sensible option might be to go to your local family planning clinic and talk though your options. Something like a diaphragm might work well for you :smile:
oooo i'm so annoyed at myself. i've been on the combined pill for a few months and i've never ever forgotten to take one. i went to a music festival one weekend and even managed to remember then. but yesterday i missed a pill for the third time this month. i missed the first one just over a week ago, then took it with the next days one, which was when i remembered. then a few days later i missed another one, but took it as soon as i remembered. now, a few days later, i've forgotten to take yesterdays pill. and i don't know what to do now because i know there's some kind of rule about missing three or more pills? including yesterday's missed one i only have five more pills left in the pack. help me pleeeease :frown: x

Quick Reply

Latest