The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Well my university never hindered me, or any of my friends when making applications. A lot of people on here are very narrow minded when it comes to getting jobs, thinking that it's all about your grades.

From an employers point of view, they want to see a lot more. They want to see ability to work in teams, that you're willing to go outside of your comfort zone to do things, all sorts.
From my application processes, literally the website says do you have this, this, this - if so, go on. You put in your predicted degree mark and stuff and they check it.

My grades, relative to people i was at school with/at uni with are pretty poor - but I was offered a variety of interviews etc when applying for placements and grad jobs.
To be honest i don't really agree academia counts for nothing i.e you must of got AAB at A-Level to get in Bath and you did your GCSEs 7 years ago and in that time they have become significantly easier imo. The fact is Bath is generally ranked in the top 10 in most university league tables and is considered even more highly by employers. Also most people at bath are very academically able (I'm a first year econ student and I know of hardly anyone without 3As and very good GCSEs i.e all A*/A). So even though investment banking may not be exclusive to LSE/Oxbridge, firms do have a list of unis that they look for graduates from, I doubt that if you go somewhere like Queen Mary/Manchester/Leeds you will find it very easy to get into investment banks. Also I wouldn't understate how difficult it is to get a 2:1 in the first year (as you have to get that to get a good placement e.g HSBC or GS) as if you didnt have that experience it would have proved harder to get a job in IB.

However I do agree that if you get a 2:1 or higher from a good university It does depend on the person rather then your grades. On the placement year thing that a couple of people have mentioned (I'll try not to be biased as I am doing a placement year at bath), I was speaking to a recruiter at a engineering firm (not finance I know) but he said to do a placement year if possible as a lot of people come back to work at their placement employer for their graduate job.
Nigel, which desk do you work on?
Reply 23
well done dude.
Reply 24
goian123434
To be honest i don't really agree academia counts for nothing i.e you must of got AAB at A-Level to get in Bath and you did your GCSEs 7 years ago and in that time they have become significantly easier imo. The fact is Bath is generally ranked in the top 10 in most university league tables and is considered even more highly by employers. Also most people at bath are very academically able (I'm a first year econ student and I know of hardly anyone without 3As and very good GCSEs i.e all A*/A). So even though investment banking may not be exclusive to LSE/Oxbridge, firms do have a list of unis that they look for graduates from, I doubt that if you go somewhere like Queen Mary/Manchester/Leeds you will find it very easy to get into investment banks. Also I wouldn't understate how difficult it is to get a 2:1 in the first year (as you have to get that to get a good placement e.g HSBC or GS) as if you didnt have that experience it would have proved harder to get a job in IB.

However I do agree that if you get a 2:1 or higher from a good university It does depend on the person rather then your grades. On the placement year thing that a couple of people have mentioned (I'll try not to be biased as I am doing a placement year at bath), I was speaking to a recruiter at a engineering firm (not finance I know) but he said to do a placement year if possible as a lot of people come back to work at their placement employer for their graduate job.

Of course. But this thread is aimed at all the people on TSR who are convinced 11 million As and Oxbridge/LSE is the only way into IB, and more worryingly, think that alone will get them there.

I'd rather not say which desk I work at, I don't want to give away who I am! (nigel's an internet pseudo...) but it is middle office.

I think people are avoiding my main issue which was that if you're interested in IB then you have to be more than grades.

ALSO think hard about whether it's the right career for you. The hours/lifestyle don't suit a lot of people, so don't go into the field for the money/cred. I didn't originally want to do it for the above reasons, but I tried it for a year and it suits my style. I'm not sure how long i'll work in finance but that's another story!
Reply 25
bignigel
Of course. But this thread is aimed at all the people on TSR who are convinced 11 million As and Oxbridge/LSE is the only way into IB, and more worryingly, think that alone will get them there.

I'd rather not say which desk I work at, I don't want to give away who I am! (nigel's an internet pseudo...) but it is middle office.

I think people are avoiding my main issue which was that if you're interested in IB then you have to be more than grades.

ALSO think hard about whether it's the right career for you. The hours/lifestyle don't suit a lot of people, so don't go into the field for the money/cred. I didn't originally want to do it for the above reasons, but I tried it for a year and it suits my style. I'm not sure how long i'll work in finance but that's another story!

NO! My problem with you is not that you are saying "if you're interested in IB then you have to be more than grades."

my main issue is that you seem to make out that grades and uni is of little importance - you tick a box and thats it.

ps yea right, most ppl go into banking for the money. you cant tell me there is a significant proportion of ppl who actually like the long hours. in fact, from everyone i heard who works in the business they always highlight the fact that its long hours and one should be aware of it.
Reply 26
danny111
NO! My problem with you is not that you are saying "if you're interested in IB then you have to be more than grades."

my main issue is that you seem to make out that grades and uni is of little importance - you tick a box and thats it.

That's basically what I'm saying yes.
In all honestly, everyone who applies matches the academic requirements, and your differential in grades doesn't count for a lot.
I've been up against mates with 11A*, a first degree and not even got interviews - and that's not just from my uni.
Yes you need to do 'well' but not superbly well to secure the job. Just because you know how to write a good essay, doesn't mean you'll be able to work well in a bank. If you can communicate well with clients, analyse data well and present yourself properly - that's FAR more important.
Middle office != Front office.
The recruitment process is a world away.
Reply 28
bignigel
Dear All,

I used to use this forum before I went to uni, and two things confused me.

1. Why is everyone so interested in IB?
2. Why does everyone think their academia is the one off chance for a job?

I'll tell you my story (briefly)...

I went to Bath until this year when I graduated. I think Bath is 10th/11th in UK nowadays and studied economics Bsc with a placement.
For my placement I worked for HSBC in global research and now I'm working for Goldman Sachs.

I was never interested in IB before uni, but there seems to be a lot of emphasis put on it by fellow students so I had a look, seemed quite interesting - so I went for a placement in the field, and now I love it!

BUT:

1. It's not for everyone. Fast paced, in at 6am most mornings and long long hours WILL NOT suit you if you've spent the last 5 years in the library.
2. ACADEMIA COUNTS FOR NOTHING. In getting both my jobs, my grades were just a tick-box. I don't have AAA at A-level, and my GCSEs are very average. What I did have though is many things outside of the academic line. What modules, individual marks etc count for nothing. It's all just a tick-box. 340 UCAS points, check. 2:1 predicted, check. After that it's about you.
3. Do what you WANT with your uni/A levels. As mentioned above, the uni/grades won't matter alot, if at all, so focus on what interests you, and try and enjoy yourself. Playing on a football team is better on your CV than an extra A-level.
4. Don't follow the crowd. Too many people I know were stuck on applications due to being very one-dimensional with their CV. If you write one (and i'd reccommend doing it ASAP) if education is more than half a page (and you want 2 pages with refs) then you're doing something wrong.

Good luck and I hope this is useful!

Any questions just reply/PM me.

Nige.

Congrats on your mate. Ive got quite a few questions so please bear with me.

1) What other investment banks did you get into?

2) What actual IB job do you do?

3) What are the hours like on an average day?

4) Did you get a 2:1 ?

5) What / how many extra curricular activities did you have?

Thanks
well this post was interesting until you mentioned MO not FO. I'm sure FO would be much stricter.
Reply 30
jbegers
Congrats on your mate. Ive got quite a few questions so please bear with me.

1) What other investment banks did you get into?

2) What actual IB job do you do?

3) What are the hours like on an average day?

4) Did you get a 2:1 ?

5) What / how many extra curricular activities did you have?

Thanks

1. Offered interviews for UBS and Morgan Stanley but had to reject pre-interview due to accepting other job.
2. Placement was research based, now doing a variety of things on grad-scheme.
3. Sometimes 9-5, sometime 6-10. varies A LOT.
4. Yes, but just about.
5. Quite a lot. I did pretty much everything I had the chance to do during A-levels and Uni.

ronaldo91
well this post was interesting until you mentioned MO not FO. I'm sure FO would be much stricter.

It might be, but i'm not so sure. For starters, VERY FEW grad jobs are front office, and secondly the same principles will apply. At the end of the day it's the same firm hiring you!
congrats on the offer though.

all i meant was on tsr people talk about FO when comparing unis so when you mention MO it is not so comparable.

how was your placement year? i should get an offer from bath soon on track, not sure if if i want to do placement year in research however if i go to bath.
What about this then?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=351393&

After this come 6 prestigious institutions with a pretty dismal record of getting people into tier 1 front office, but from here the 2nd division (the likes of ABN Amro, BNP Paribas, Dresdner etc) are all really accessible - made easy particularly at Bath and Loughborough with the sandwich placement years giving you valuable experience.

Epic confusion! Who's right, who's wrong!?!

OP, are you a one off as a Bath graduate like this thread would have me believe?
Reply 33
SixthFormer08
What about this then?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=351393&

After this come 6 prestigious institutions with a pretty dismal record of getting people into tier 1 front office, but from here the 2nd division (the likes of ABN Amro, BNP Paribas, Dresdner etc) are all really accessible - made easy particularly at Bath and Loughborough with the sandwich placement years giving you valuable experience.

Epic confusion! Who's right, who's wrong!?!

OP, are you a one off as a Bath graduate like this thread would have me believe?

OP is talking BS. your statistics prove this.
I have know idea wether these are front office or what but for the placement year 2009/2010:
11 people got into UBS
6 into Morgan Stanley
2 into Goldman Sachs
1 into JP Morgan

So 20 poeple out of 83 placements(if i counted correctly) went to a 1st teir IB bank for their placement who did economics at bath.
Reply 35
goian123434
I have know idea wether these are front office or what but for the placement year 2009/2010:
11 people got into UBS
6 into Morgan Stanley
2 into Goldman Sachs
1 into JP Morgan

So 20 poeple out of 83 placements(if i counted correctly) went to an IB bank for their placement who did economics at bath.

hm. tbh that is not a lot. if you get a summer internship (i was told taht at goldman, so may be different for other banks) about 70% get a job.

yours is 25% out of an entire placement! thats longer than an internship (isnt it) so you can tie better links.

also, not every uni outside the top5 has these good work placements as bath. correct me if im wrong on this but if i was it wudn change that much anyway.
danny111
hm. tbh that is not a lot. if you get a summer internship (i was told taht at goldman, so may be different for other banks) about 70% get a job.

yours is 25% out of an entire placement! thats longer than an internship (isnt it) so you can tie better links.

also, not every uni outside the top5 has these good work placements as bath. correct me if im wrong on this but if i was it wudn change that much anyway.

But you fail to consider that majority of people (or the people I have met at least) don't want to go into investment banking so the percentages are going to be different. Also that inincludes people doing economics and international development who are much more likely to go for more development type work.
Reply 37
goian123434
But you fail to consider that majority of people (or the people I have met at least) don't want to go into investment banking so the percentages are going to be different. Also that inincludes people doing economics and international development who are much more likely to go for more development type work.

fair point. but i dont think that makes up the 50% difference.
danny111

On second look at your comment im not too sure if you misunderstood my point, im not saying that 25% of people who went on an IB placement got a job at an IB firm, im saying that out of all placements 25% did theirs at an IB firm (i.e the people on the placement year are doing their placement now so have not graduated so cant tell the placement/jobs percentage). This isnt saying anything about who got a job out of the placement its just saying 25% did their placement year at an investment bank. Sorry if I wasnt being clear
Reply 39
goian123434
On second look at your comment im not too sure if you misunderstood my point, im not saying that 25% of people who went on an IB placement got a job at an IB firm, im saying that out of all placements 25% did theirs at an IB firm (i.e the people on the placement year are doing their placement now so have not graduated so cant tell the placement/jobs percentage). This isnt saying anything about who got a job out of the placement its just saying 25% did their placement year at an investment bank. Sorry if I wasnt being clear

oh! well in that case what I said was wrong anyway.

Latest

Trending

Trending