The Student Room Group

What are the terms for the free tuition fees in universities in Scotland

Do you have to live in Scotland for a number of years after you have completed the degree in a Scottish University? Because you received free tuition fees

What happens if you fail a year; do you have to pay for repeating the year at college in Scotland?

what are the terms to free tuition fees in universities in Scotland? for EU students

thnx

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
erivinn
Do you have to live in Scotland for a number of years after you have completed the degree in a Scottish University? Because you received free tuition fees

What happens if you fail a year; do you have to pay for repeating the year at college in Scotland?

what are the terms to free tuition fees in universities in Scotland? for EU students

thnx

http://www.external.stir.ac.uk/undergrad/financial_info/scottish/tuition_fees.php
Reply 2
No, Depends you can have 'false starts', Same as Scottish students.
Reply 3
But why is the Scottish government giving out paying tuition fees for EU students ?? is there some catch ??
Reply 4
erivinn

thnx

You need to be ordinarily resident in Scotland (so not just here for schooling) for at least three years prior to starting your university course. There are no conditions on what you do after your degree. If you fail a year you may be able to get your tuition paid, you may not. I think that would be up to SAAS and why you failed, when you dropped out, etc.

Scottish and EU students get their fees paid for them because there is an agreement to do that. I can go to France or Germany and not need to pay tuition fees, just like they can come to Scotland and not pay.
Reply 5
TheOneWho
You need to be ordinarily resident in Scotland (so not just here for schooling) for at least three years prior to starting your university course. There are no conditions on what you do after your degree. If you fail a year you may be able to get your tuition paid, you may not. I think that would be up to SAAS and why you failed, when you dropped out, etc.

Scottish and EU students get their fees paid for them because there is an agreement to do that. I can go to France or Germany and not need to pay tuition fees, just like they can come to Scotland and not pay.

Thanks for the help . But do i have to be live in Scotland for at least three years before i start university in Scotland ?? (I'm from Ireland)
You still need to pay a "graduation fee" at the end of the 4 years though.
Reply 7
erivinn
Thanks for the help . But do i have to be live in Scotland for at least three years before i start university in Scotland ?? (I'm from Ireland)

If you are from the Republic of Ireland and have been resident there for at least three years prior, then you will not need to pay tuition fees.

Dream Weaver
You still need to pay a "graduation fee" at the end of the 4 years though.

That was scrapped a couple of years ago.
Reply 8
sophiemallinson
Hmm, the site says "A student who is an EU national or the child of an EU national, who has been ordinarily resident in an EU country outside of the UK for three years immediately prior to commencing course". I'm a UK citizen (of British nationality) who's been living outside of the UK for over three years - do I get access to free tuition fees?

It's all too complicated. :rolleyes:

What is your citizenship status in your country (France?)? I don't think SAAS pay for UK nationals who are living in the EU.
Reply 9
TheOneWho
If you are from the Republic of Ireland and have been resident there for at least three years prior, then you will not need to pay tuition fees.

That was scrapped a couple of years ago.

sophiemallinson
I'm a UK citizen. :worried:

I think you'd need to get confirmation from SAAS, but I don't think you would qualify. Sorry.
sophiemallinson
I'm a UK citizen.

It is classified on where you've been living, not what passport/nationality you hold. If I'd lived in Poland for the last 5 years, for example, despite having British citizenship, they would pay for my tuition.

The whole EU getting it free thing is a stupid loop hole in EU law, essentially. Because the Scots get it for free all EU residents have to be classified as equals to the Scots as thats what the EU equality/open borders thing is all about, meaning they are also entitled to free tuition in Scotland as an equal to someone from Scotland. But the people in the rest of the UK have to pay as what happens within the country isn't subject to EU law in the same way.
oxymoronic
It is classified on where you've been living, not what passport/nationality you hold. If I'd lived in Poland for the last 5 years, for example, despite having British citizenship, they would pay for my tuition.

The whole EU getting it free thing is a stupid loop hole in EU law, essentially. Because the Scots get it for free all EU residents have to be classified as equals to the Scots as thats what the EU equality/open borders thing is all about, meaning they are also entitled to free tuition in Scotland as an equal to someone from Scotland. But the people in the rest of the UK have to pay as what happens within the country isn't subject to EU law in the same way.

Are you sure? I gave the SAAS guidelines a quick read over and the first condition of eligibility is: "You are an EU national (other than a person who is a United Kingdom national who has not utilised a right of residence), an EU overseas territories national or the family member of either." (my emphasis) I took from that they UK nationals don't count under their conditions, no matter how long they have been living in the EU country.
TheOneWho
Are you sure? I gave the SAAS guidelines a quick read over and the first condition of eligibility is: "You are an EU national (other than a person who is a United Kingdom national who has not utilised a right of residence), an EU overseas territories national or the family member of either." (my emphasis) I took from that they UK nationals don't count under their conditions, no matter how long they have been living in the EU country.

I'm pretty sure, in the sense that I know various Brits at Edinburgh who had been living in different EU countries for several years prior to coming here and get their fees for free because they're classed as EU residents, and I also know various people from other EU countries who had been somewhere in the UK (not Scotland) for the previous few years before coming to uni and they have to pay fees. If I had lived in Scotland for the 3 years before university, SAAS would pay my fees despite the fact I am English.
oxymoronic
I'm pretty sure, in the sense that I know various Brits at Edinburgh who had been living in different EU countries for several years prior to coming here and get their fees for free because they're classed as EU residents, and I also know various people from other EU countries who had been somewhere in the UK (not Scotland) for the previous few years before coming to uni and they have to pay fees. If I had lived in Scotland for the 3 years before university, SAAS would pay my fees despite the fact I am English.

Yeah, I knew about the residence requirements, but just that one bit confused me.
I know this was a few years ago but is the threes prior to applying to university the same for an FE college?
Reply 16
My husband and I are both scottish. Lived there until we were 25. We have been living in Dubai for past 3 years now. We have a son who was born in scotland and lived there for around 2.5 years. Although all his education is being taught in Dubai, will he still be eligable for free university as he is scottish born?
Reply 17
Original post by Beadzyyy
My husband and I are both scottish. Lived there until we were 25. We have been living in Dubai for past 3 years now. We have a son who was born in scotland and lived there for around 2.5 years. Although all his education is being taught in Dubai, will he still be eligable for free university as he is scottish born?

Pretty sure he won't. He might even be need to pay internationally student fee. For univerity in the UK you have to ordinary reside in UK (not for education purpose, if you say oh he is a minor so the responsible of ordinary reside fall into their legal guardian-you or your husband(or adopt partents etc)), not just nationality. I know you have to be live in the UK for three year prior to the day of your first term start to count for home fee.
Reply 18
Hello, I'm living in UK for 1 year and 2 months which means, I am not eligible for loan in England and I have been granted Uk settlement visa as I used to work with army in back home country, will I get entitlements for free education in Scotland? Thanks
Reply 19
Original post by Ayoubi
Hello, I'm living in UK for 1 year and 2 months which means, I am not eligible for loan in England and I have been granted Uk settlement visa as I used to work with army in back home country, will I get entitlements for free education in Scotland? Thanks

No. Not much else to say.

Quick Reply

Latest