The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Scroll to see replies

You probably want to go for Endcliffe, as thats where the majority of the fun happens :smile: Either that or Ranmoor!
Definately go for self-catered as you can always pay for food, whereas in Catered you may be very limited food option wise.
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 2
Okay thanks :smile: I'll keep that in mind. I was leaning more towards catered but if thats your advice, I'll certainly think hard about it.
Reply 3
Can't speak for endcliffe, but I wouldn't recommend taptons catered food, the choice is pretty limited. Then again, I'm a fussy eater
Lucible
Okay thanks :smile: I'll keep that in mind. I was leaning more towards catered but if thats your advice, I'll certainly think hard about it.

The catering here isnt too great. You won't be able to cook for yourself at all, which means you get a pantry with no freezer or oven, just fridge and microwave some areas have hobs. You will have to pay £37 a week to be catered, which is extortionate as you would pay maz £25 a week on food self-catered. Self-catered have nicer accomodation as well, you get en-suite etc.

There is also the issue that if you want catered food you can pay for it in cash if you cant be bothered to cook on self-catered.
Reply 5
Without a doubt go for Endcliffe and self-catered, they're the nicest flats and as Molly already mentioned, it's much better to go for self-catered as it's better value for money to cook for yourself and you get a really good kitchen.
Reply 6
Right, self-catered, ensuite it is :smile:
Reply 7
Endcliffe is where the party's at :smile:

Ranmoore has a crappy version of the Edge (student bar, laundrette, etc) called the Ridge and loads of people from Ranmoore come here. Never heard of anyone from Endcliffe going to Ranmoore for their bar...
Reply 8
If you are not going to have much money make sure you don't go for rip-off en-suite!
Yep techincally ranmoor is supposed to be a scaled down version of Endcliffe. However, Endcliffe uses the Edge tonnes, aparently the Ridge has a massive stigma attached to it and nobody goes there.
Reply 10
Skycat
Without a doubt go for Endcliffe and self-catered, they're the nicest flats and as Molly already mentioned, it's much better to go for self-catered as it's better value for money to cook for yourself and you get a really good kitchen.

what are the shared bathroom accommodation like in Endcliffe?
Reply 11
cwynter

I'm not sure, sorry! I've got ensuite, but from what people have told me the bathrooms aren't all that bad, generally you don't have to wait for a shower and you can always get a toilet stall.
Reply 12
definately go for endclifee, ranmoor is pretty quiet this year due to loads of spare places. my friends who had shared bathrooms didnt have any problems with it.
Skycat

Definitely go self catered. I am catered at Endcliffe and it costs so much more for what you actually get.
Reply 14
Skycat
I'm not sure, sorry! I've got ensuite, but from what people have told me the bathrooms aren't all that bad, generally you don't have to wait for a shower and you can always get a toilet stall.

thats awesome! i went to the open day and didnt find it very nessesary to get an en suit, plus its quite pricey :s-smilie:
Reply 15
cwynter
thats awesome! i went to the open day and didnt find it very nessesary to get an en suit, plus its quite pricey :s-smilie:

Get ready, you might have to take one anyway.
I couldn't really afford ensuite, I chose shared bathroom but I was still given ensuite... I was just really happy I got Endcliffe, by FAR the best place to be in my opinion.
cwynter

There are only two self catered blocks with shared bathrooms, but all the catered has these. I've heard the bathrooms varied, alot depends on who you share with. Certainly the ones I saw were really nice so I wouldn't think it would be a problem. You are much more likely to be put in en-suite though!
I've got a sheffield place, not sure I'll take it but endcliffe sounds like the place to be!

Is it organised in flats or houses rather than corridors? That sounds like what I want...
Reply 18
maniacgeorge
I've got a sheffield place, not sure I'll take it but endcliffe sounds like the place to be!

Is it organised in flats or houses rather than corridors? That sounds like what I want...

Yes - flats are the order of the day in most of the Endcliffe blocks
maniacgeorge

Yes all of the self-catered is in flats. The sizes do vary from flats of 4 to flats of 11, 12 and I think there are a few 13's.

I was in a flat of 8 so somewhere in the middle, but the flat size depends upon what block you are in. Froggat and Yarncliffe have larger ones, places like Millstone have smaller.

Latest

Trending

Trending