Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Dubstep Society

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ludwig Wittgenstein)
    apply for henry price and i will show you
    I was considering anyway xD
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not really been into dubstep these days because of the recent rinsage by the mainstreamers BUT I particularly like Nero's new one - Innocence. Cant wait until the vinyl drops.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Havn't made anything in a while so I thought I'd spend the afternoon cooking something up and share a lil clip.

http://www.zshare.net/audio/740819670071d18f/

Need to get producing properly again :sly:

P.S Any suggestions are welcome, need to figure out how to bring that sub through a bit more
    Damn that snare hits hard!

You work in the same way as me with a basic drop first, i need to stop doing that as it really hinders me for the rest of the track. Got this one pretty much done now though, little unmixed preview of what it was when i first started;

http://soundcloud.com/marshy/marshy-...rk-in-progress
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marshyy)
    Damn that snare hits hard!

You work in the same way as me with a basic drop first, i need to stop doing that as it really hinders me for the rest of the track. Got this one pretty much done now though, little unmixed preview of what it was when i first started;

http://soundcloud.com/marshy/marshy-...rk-in-progress
    The drop tends to be what gives the track it's character which is pretty important in dance music... I think. What bit crusher are you using on that bass? Real sweet.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The drop tends to be what gives the track it's character which is pretty important in dance music... I think. What bit crusher are you using on that bass? Real sweet.
    No Bitcrusher, it's actually a vowel filter! Sugarbytes WOW.

And yeah, i'm really trying to start with the intro and work my way through from start to finish now though. When i start with the drop i tend to just sit there with an 8 bar loop taking things out and putting things in, never get it done.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flipsta)
    Also if anyone could tell me the top venues for Dub in leeds if there are any?
    First saturday of every month go to the West Indian Centre to a night called SubDub. There is no shortage of every type of music in Leeds.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    http://soundcloud.com/jaydot/moskva Work in progress of mine, needs a bit of work but this is what I have so far.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    What do you guys think of Nero? Listened to a few tracks of his, remixes and produictions and o really enjoyed them, though i am not much of a dubstep head and don't have a large knowledge of the genre.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benmh92)
    What do you guys think of Nero? Listened to a few tracks of his, remixes and produictions and o really enjoyed them, though i am not much of a dubstep head and don't have a large knowledge of the genre.
    Nero is really good. His remixes of Blinded by the Lights and I'm Not You're Toy are worth checking out (the Streets/La Roux)

But his best track is drum and bass. (Requiem)
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Nero is made up of 3 different people, but as i'm already posting
    MASHUP TIME:
    http://soundcloud.com/continuumdnb/5minmix

How many of the 15 songs can YOU identify?

about 6 are unreleased/bootlegs, so have fun.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L-x)
    Nero is made up of 3 different people, but as i'm already posting
    MASHUP TIME:
    http://soundcloud.com/continuumdnb/5minmix

How many of the 15 songs can YOU identify?

about 6 are unreleased/bootlegs, so have fun.
    too many man - bbk
    when i look at you - emalkay
    the blank - 16 bit
    wheres my money - caspa
    Act like you know - Nero

I only got these. But then again i hate drum n bass so thats half the minimix out the window.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alan910_2)
    too many man - bbk (Ashburner bootleg)
    when i look at you - emalkay sduk remix
    the blank - skism(16 bit remix)
    wheres my money - (TC caspa remix)
    Act like you know - Nero

I only got these. But then again i hate drum n bass so thats half the minimix out the window.
    FYP, but not too bad.

WHERE'S MY MONKEY?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmfIlI4M1Yg
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L-x)
    FYP, but not too bad.

WHERE'S MY MONKEY?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmfIlI4M1Yg
    Omg i can't believe i didn't put the name of every artist who is possibly involved.

If you're gonna use as bait tunes as where's my money don't expect me to be as bait when naming them.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Havn't made anything in a while so I thought I'd spend the afternoon cooking something up and share a lil clip.

P.S Any suggestions are welcome, need to figure out how to bring that sub through a bit more
    More wobble
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flipsta)
    More wobble
    i'll put another mix up when i wack it through cubase :rolleyes:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

Less wobble, more BASS!

Seriously though, it would sound so much heavier if you sorted the sub out. What key is the track in?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonzza)
    Less wobble, more BASS!

Seriously though, it would sound so much heavier if you sorted the sub out. What key is the track in?
    Yeah, I find it quite tough when you have a big noisey wobble to bring the sub out properly in the track. I dunno, maybe I need to find a way of compressing that top wobble better...
    I can't think what key it's in at the minute and I don't have the project on here at the minute. Why do you ask?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well one of the most important tips I've discovered in my 6 years of trying to make bass music is that how heavy your sub is often really depends on the root note of your track. I think most people have a tendency to try and write in C which makes the sub too low so that it sounds weak on headphones and basically on anything but a proper sound system with decent sub speakers. Bump the key of the track up to say, F, and suddenly the sub hits through more beacuse its hitting more audible frequencies and yet is still definitely SUB bass.

Other tip for getting your sub to sit right: make sure you're equing everything in that area. Use a spectral analyzer to see exactly where your sub is hitting and then hi pass everything else to that frequency. Usually I find i low pass my sub at about 80 hz, high pass the kick at 80 hz, snare at 150hz and then if i'm using a wobble that will get cut at about 180-200hz.

Sorry if you already know all this but if not, hope it helps!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Jonzza speaks the truth, don't want it getting too muddy down there.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonzza)
    Well one of the most important tips I've discovered in my 6 years of trying to make bass music is that how heavy your sub is often really depends on the root note of your track. I think most people have a tendency to try and write in C which makes the sub too low so that it sounds weak on headphones and basically on anything but a proper sound system with decent sub speakers. Bump the key of the track up to say, F, and suddenly the sub hits through more beacuse its hitting more audible frequencies and yet is still definitely SUB bass.

Other tip for getting your sub to sit right: make sure you're equing everything in that area. Use a spectral analyzer to see exactly where your sub is hitting and then hi pass everything else to that frequency. Usually I find i low pass my sub at about 80 hz, high pass the kick at 80 hz, snare at 150hz and then if i'm using a wobble that will get cut at about 180-200hz.

Sorry if you already know all this but if not, hope it helps!
    I saw somewhere that G is a great key for DnB, Dubstep. Only a tone apart from F tho, but yeh i use C too often anyway. Btw thanks for the tips, if ever i try dubstep will refer to that

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: January 10, 2014
New on TSR

What is sixth form like?

Share your story!

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.