The Student Room Group

Average difference between mocks and real exams?

Basically, I'll be receiving my mock exam results on Friday. My school's made a huge thing of it and to 'prepare us for getting our results in the summer', they've set up a 'Mock Results Day', where we get all our grades in the exact same way as we will do in the summer. It's stupid, and I hate it, because I've already been told I failed maths dramatically, but my history teacher says "I won't be dissapointed at all" so basically, I'm now having to set myself up for a big fat 'U' in maths and an 'A*' in history, and ofcourse the good result will be completely overided by the awful one.
Anyway, I was just wondering what the general difference between mock results and people's actual grades are? Like, when you did your mocks did your results improve dramatically in the summer or vice versa?
Thanks guys! :woo:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
U to A.
Reply 2
Mine did. I found my mocks were harder than the real exams though - and I only revised for History (which did work, went from D in mock to A* in reals).
GCSE C in History to A*.

AS C in English to A.
U in French to C.
xoJessicaAnn
Basically, I'll be receiving my mock exam results on Friday. My school's made a huge thing of it and to 'prepare us for getting our results in the summer', they've set up a 'Mock Results Day', where we get all our grades in the exact same way as we will do in the summer. It's stupid, and I hate it, because I've already been told I failed maths dramatically, but my history teacher says "I won't be dissapointed at all" so basically, I'm now having to set myself up for a big fat 'U' in maths and an 'A*' in history, and ofcourse the good result will be completely overided by the awful one.
Anyway, I was just wondering what the general difference between mock results and people's actual grades are? Like, when you did your mocks did your results improve dramatically in the summer or vice versa?

a grade up which is what i got in all but two where i was stuck on the same grade for one and went up 3 for another
Reply 5
I can't remember exactly but I think some of my subjects went up by about a grade between mocks and real exams.
Reply 6
Wooow.
Yeah, I have to do some serious work on my maths and probably geography, though they did mess up my tiers in the mock - which was so so frustrating having to sort that out, aha!
I'd always heard that they deliberately downmark you in the mocks but they don't seem to be doing that last time.
Like, they hate predicting A*'s and stuff, incase you don't make the grade.
Reply 7
For me I usually go up three grades as I don't give a **** about mocks.
Reply 8
For GCSEs I got like a D in my mock and an A in the real thing.
Music was the same.
Reply 9
xoJessicaAnn

depends how hard you work

and you need to work harder in maths. How the hell did you get a U, seriously can't you count?
lolz
i went from like a D in history to an A*. haha.
also a D in physics to an A*.
seriously chill. mocks are **** anyway
robby h7
depends how hard you work

and you need to work harder in maths. How the hell did you get a U, seriously can't you count?

I don't know that I got a U. But I was told I didn't do very well in it, so I'd rather set myself up for the worst. And I do modular maths so for the mock, we did a practice terminal paper which we'd never done before so I don't appreciate that comment. :frown:
Really, really depends. Sometimes mock exams are designed to be harder than the real exam and sometimes it's the other way around.
Hmmm. I think I went from about 4A*s and all the rest As to 7 A*s and all the rest As.. we didn't have mocks for science though.. they would almost certainly have been Bs/Cs but I got A*s in them in the end.
Mine were the same, although for everyone else there was generally an improvement
Reply 15
a lot of mocks will just be the previous years' exam series, so should be pretty similar (if you put the same amount of revision for the mocks as you do for the real ones)
Well I was thinking as you get study leave, your gonna have a lot more time to prepare for the real exams. And these are the real ones so there will be a lot more pressure and I'm the kinda person who will be really dissapointed if she doesn't perform her absolute best. Like, I know maths is my downfall but everyone has a subject they don't do so well in and I'm taking up tutoring every week til the exams if I have to, I'm determined to get that C and possibly even a B. My class are doing it in modules so the module I take in January will enable me to get a C, the March module enables me to get a B and then I have the terminal paper in the summer. Really annoying though because I take AS RE early and the exams for maths and AS RE are on the SAME DAY!! niightmare.
I found my mock exams a lot harder than my real ones. Then again we hadn't finished the whole course by the mock season, and I never took them seriously. So my grades went up a hell of a lot from my mocks.

Like I went from a D to an A for English lit.
an E to an A* in Textiles.
CC in art to AA.

You're in a totally different mind set in your real exams, especially on study leave as all your coursework and lessons are over. Whilst you're doing your mocks you still have those going on. (well I did)
:confused:
Mocks seem harder because you revise like a madman for the real things. I went from C's to A's.

Latest