Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

is this country in a mess???

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    From what I've observed of your posts I think you'd think it relevant to mention the Labour party during a discussion on just about anything.
    Are you actually saying that all the members who mentioned the Labour party on this thread are making an irrelevant point?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    From what I've observed of your posts I think you'd think it relevant to mention the Labour party during a discussion on just about anything.
    Labour is the UK government

Domestic politics generally involves the UK government.

This forum is called 'Politics'
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Subtantiate that point or retract it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you're that interested in the 'worth' of migrants and not at flinging handbags at eachother then you could all try reading http://www.ippr.org.uk/ecomm/files/P...heir%20Way.pdf .
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm amazed there are people out there who are happy with the state of our country at present. God, I can't stand the place. The state is huge and in the end, probably a good 80% of a normal person's money ends up in the state's coffers to be spent on complete ***** while the places that could actually use it are left to rot.

Unfortunately, my chosen profession rather restricts me to living in the UK. This was probably not a good idea on my part as I now have to accept that most of my money will be swindled, it will be raining almost constantly, the people will remain incredibly ugly, I'll have to put up with little brat children in tracksuits and I'll never be able to escape it. God help me, I want out of here.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LibertineNorth)
    I'm amazed there are people out there who are happy with the state of our country at present. God, I can't stand the place. The state is huge and in the end, probably a good 80% of a normal person's money ends up in the state's coffers to be spent on complete ***** while the places that could actually use it are left to rot.

Unfortunately, my chosen profession rather restricts me to living in the UK. This was probably not a good idea on my part as I now have to accept that most of my money will be swindled, it will be raining almost constantly, the people will remain incredibly ugly, I'll have to put up with little brat children in tracksuits and I'll never be able to escape it. God help me, I want out of here.
    What do you do or chosen to do?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    thank you everyone for your views. some interesting ones in there.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i wouldnt go as far as saying the whole country is a mess. a bit too vague and too general.

however, we shouldnt sit back and settle for what we have.

we should always try to improve what we have and the best way to do it is work hard and have principles that you'll never retract. the UK is a great nation and can be the best if we work for it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I sit here and read about how the UK is going to hell in a handbasket, but the thing is I just don't believe it, based on what I see around me.

In the past few years, the area in which I live (near Sheffield) has benefitted greatly from massive public investment. The schools are improving substantially, which has really been quite a shock for me. For the whole of my education I was taught in decrepit buildings that hadn't changed for 40 years, and suddenly all these shiny new facilities have been popping up. Its the same with Sheffield city centre - what used to be a deeply depressing area now has beautiful new buildings and gardens (e.g. renovated train and bus station, public gallery, millenium gardens...), all public projects, all a result of Labour. I can't personally comment much on the hospitals, but a new one was built a few years ago so I presume they are receiving investment too.

Public services are of course only a narrow snapshot of the success of a nation/government, but I find it hard to reconcile the what I'm seeing with what I'm hearing.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Geordie_in_HK)
    Charvs are everywhere and they are proud to be scum, everyone is angry with everyone else, driving is a nightmare, public transport is worse, the NHS is a joke, crime is the norm, ASBO's - WTF is going on there?,, everything is being dumbed down.
    This sounds like the complete opposite of the country I know! It's not perfect, but it is a hell of a lot better than most people on here seem to think. Not pointing to any one person in particular, some opinions on here sound like they come from grossly opinionated, misguided, pessimistic, rude people who can't see all the great things about this country. Either that or they've only ever seen the worst bits of it - and in which case, I pity them.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alewhey)
    all public projects, all a result of Labour.
    I can't personally comment much on the hospitals, but a new one was built a few years ago so I presume they are receiving investment too.

Shhh! - don't mention Labour in a domestic politics discussion...

Yeah I agree with everything you said, and hospitals are receiving a lot of investment in my area too. For instance the new UCH in central London:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4072622.stm

and this one in essex which is under construction:
    http://www.bhrhospitals.nhs.uk/future/anewhoshome.jsp

and also these health centres local to me:
    http://www.redbridgepct.nhs.uk/files...e_future-1.pdf
    http://www.rydon.co.uk/ryhurst/asset...d_waltham.html

Basically, things really are good at the moment.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thebucketwoman)
    Shhh! - don't mention Labour in a domestic politics discussion...

Yeah I agree with everything you said, and hospitals are receiving a lot of investment in my area too. For instance the new UCH in central London:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4072622.stm

and this one in essex which is under construction:
    http://www.bhrhospitals.nhs.uk/future/anewhoshome.jsp

and also these health centres local to me:
    http://www.redbridgepct.nhs.uk/files...e_future-1.pdf
    http://www.rydon.co.uk/ryhurst/asset...d_waltham.html

Basically, things really are good at the moment.

Shame that you can't get an NHS dentist though... You could when I moved to this country in 1998.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheVlad)
    Shame that you can't get an NHS dentist though... You could when I moved to this country in 1998.
    Well personal experiences are all different, I've got no problem getting NHS dental treatment now for example.

And the government are doing things to solve the shortage, for instance opening new dentistry schools. As this Labour MP says:

"There are many more dentists practicing in Cornwall but not all will take NHS patients. One third are over 50 and many others have retired. The Government's NHS dentistry adviser will visit Cornwall shortly to plan further assistance including actively recruiting in countries such as Poland.

"Research has shown that many dentists set up practice close to the area
    they trained in, so for the longer term, the Minister is looking into the possibility of providing a training facility in Cornwall as our nearest one at the moment is in Bristol. I would like to see Bristol trainees encouraged to Cornwall in the short term and a new Dentistry School in the long.

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    There will always be something that needs complaining about within the boundaries of politics, but I think overall, things are better than they've ever been.

Not that I'm one for making oracular predictions, but the only worrying thing is that things haven't been this good since 1900-1914. Is this the calm before the storm?

Interesting if you compare the Iraq war with the Boer war...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JonD)
    Not that I'm one for making oracular predictions, but the only worrying thing is that things haven't been this good since 1900-1914. Is this the calm before the storm?
    :eek:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure that some areas of the country are benefiting from Labour but mine isn't. You can't get an NHS dentist anywhere, crime is up, I hardly ever see policemen on the beat, there are neds/chavs everywhere, people don't respect their elders and indeed other people, the streets are full of litter, public transport is a mess, council tax (under a Labour council) is up, taxes are up...and on it goes. Again, I'm sure that some places have benefited from Labour, but I can't speak for them. All I can speak for is my own area, which hasn't seen much of Blair's vision for Britain (assuming that he has one).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    "there are neds/chavs everywhere"
    And the government is also responsible for social trends, continuing on this theme: I blame the post war Keynsian consensus for Mods and Rockers and Thatcher for the fashion in the 1980s.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's not great, but it could be FAR worse
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    lets just cut this thread short by agreeing that the whole world in a mess...... thats sad and its even sadder that the poloticians not doin anything
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    This thread serves only as a vehicle for that thing the British love most: decrying the state of the nation.
Updated: July 5, 2005
New on TSR

A-level results day

Is it about making your parents proud?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.