The Student Room Group

Just passed! Want to rent a car!

Hey folks!
I've just passed my driving practical, and I'm quite chuffed.

I was wondering if there is a car company which allows me to rent a car regardless of how long I've held my license.

I know most companies require the renter to have had their full license for at least a year. I know why such measures are taken.

I've searched all over for a company which doesn't enforce that, to no avail. So I'm kindly asking for help here. Does anyone know any place that lets me rent a car when I have just had my license for under a year?

The deposit might be great, but I'm willing to do that.

Any ideas anyone? Btw, I'm based in Central London.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
how old are you? if youre under 25 you dont stand a chance

dont think you will find anywhere either way
Reply 2
There are some small companies which will allow you to hire a car at 23 but to be honest, my answer is, in essence, the same as the above post.
Reply 3
yeah, good luck with that idea.
Reply 4
Assuming the '88 in your username refers to your birth year, then you've got next to no chance I'm sorry to say.
Reply 5
dh00001
how old are you? if youre under 25 you dont stand a chance

How so? I'm 21 and rented a Volkswagen Crafter from Europcar for under £100 (deposit was about £250 but I got that back in full)

The type of van in question:

Unless you just meant someone who had just passed and was under 25...
Reply 6
I'm 24. So I guess luck's out..
And I just passed, not even 6 hours ago...
Reply 7
Why would you want to rent a car?
John@Staffs
How so? I'm 21 and rented a Volkswagen Crafter from Europcar for under £100 (deposit was about £250 but I got that back in full)

The type of van in question:

Unless you just meant someone who had just passed and was under 25...

Clearly you didn't read the OP.
Reply 9
sophisticated
Clearly you didn't read the OP.

I did but I got the sense from the post which I was replying to that they meant anyone under 25.
John@Staffs
I did but I got the sense from the post which I was replying to that they meant anyone under 25.

How??!?!
The OP didn't mention anything about his age, and the first line was "I've just passed my driving practical"

So what you said was totally irrelevant to the OP anyway.

:cool:
Reply 11
Steeps
Why would you want to rent a car?

Cos at this time of my life, I can't afford a car + insurance, but a casual trip to the beach with my girlfriend would still be enjoyed, hence, renting a car.

Is that too hard to understand?
adrian88
Cos at this time of my life, I can't afford a car + insurance, but a casual trip to the beach with my girlfriend would still be enjoyed, hence, renting a car.

No its not, but its virtually impossible. I looked into renting cars recently too, and I've held my license for nearly 3 years now and am 21. Most rental companies won't even consider you unless you're 25 or over. If you've just passed your test, you basically have zero chance. Only option is to buy your own. With your age, the insurance shouldn't be too bad once you start building up the no-claims.
Reply 13
Yeah, i've had no luck with rental companies. Thanks for the help anyway! Appreciate it.
Reply 14
Get a cheap classic like an allegro or a marina and pay insurance monthly
Reply 15
JC.
Get a cheap classic like an allegro or a marina and pay insurance monthly

My mum used to have a Marina. The prospect of leaving their wedding in that was the most effective incentive for my dad to get his Esprit back on the road - I think he finished working on it about 0200 the night before!
Reply 16
CurlyBen
My mum used to have a Marina. The prospect of leaving their wedding in that was the most effective incentive for my dad to get his Esprit back on the road - I think he finished working on it about 0200 the night before!

I've been harboring a secret desire to aquire a Marina coupe for some time now. Infact, about a year ago I nearly bought one. Unfortunately, it wasn't as solid as it should have been. :frown:
Reply 17
JC.
I've been harboring a secret desire to aquire a Marina coupe for some time now. Infact, about a year ago I nearly bought one. Unfortunately, it wasn't as solid as it should have been. :frown:

Now that's what I call a dirty secret :p:
Reply 18
adrian88

In your OP you were just asking if it was possible but didn't explain for what reason. Most people either buy/contract hire, borrow parents or do without due to the costs and renting just seems like an unnecessary expense due to the costs for the period of time you have the car.

Now you've explained for what reason you wanted to rent a car I can see why you wanted to and that it would be something I too would like to have done if I was in a similar situation, unfortunately on forums when this type of question is asked the response typically is "because I just want to drive".
Reply 19
usually need to have your licence for a MINIMUM of two years when renting a car; age isn't an issue past 21, plenty of companies hire to 21's.

edit: probably already have come to that conclusion :laugh:

Latest

Trending

Trending