The Student Room Group
Reply 1
You have to apply through UCAS, and from here you can choose which university(s) and which course to apply for. Afaik, you cannot directly apply to a university in the UK, without going through UCAS. But it may be worth contacting the uni directly to talk about your individual circumstances, which may go some way to supporting your application.

Ucas website
JimmyNoName
I'm looking to get to start uni september 2010 as a mature student. I'm 24 soon. Have a few GCSE's and an A-Level equivalent qualification and a few months work experience which are very relevant to the course i'm looking to do, however i have been out of work for a year.

I was thinking of applying direct to the university as I can't really wait until september to start a year/2 year access course. How would I go about applying direct? What do i do?

Thanks for your time.
:smile:

Access courses (I think that's what you're planning on doing - correct me if I'm wrong) are done through colleges rather than universities. You have to contact the college directly for Access courses, and they may have alternative start dates.

http://www.accesstohe.ac.uk/default.asp

When you apply for an undergraduate course, then yes it will have to be done via UCAS (universities have a contract with them that says that they will not accept applications any other way, except for part time and postgrad courses), and it sounds like you would be looking to enter in September 2011.
JimmyNoName
I'm looking to get to start uni september 2010 as a mature student. I'm 24 soon. Have a few GCSE's and an A-Level equivalent qualification and a few months work experience which are very relevant to the course i'm looking to do, however i have been out of work for a year.

I was thinking of applying direct to the university as I can't really wait until september to start a year/2 year access course. How would I go about applying direct? What do i do?

Thanks for your time.

Have you thought about doing a foundation year? If you already know which degree you want to study they're a good option. They are classed as higher education as well so you can get all the student finance. Some ask for 1 A-level but are flexible for mature students especially if you have a bit of work experience. I'm enjoying mine at the moment at it seems like they are teaching you things you specifically need to know for when you start the degree not general stuff. I suppose the only down-side to them is if you change you mind about which course you want to do....pm me if you want more info. I'm doing the foundation year at Durham at the moment.
JimmyNoName

Thanks for your time.

i think some part time courses can be applied direct to uni.
Reply 5
Ok so I e-mailed the university and asked them a few questions and they said "Send us your qualifications and experience and we'll let you know if we think you're suitable for the course... if you are then just apply through UCAS"

So I'll probably get an email later today. Is there anyone on here knows much about UCAS? Can I apply as a mature student through it? (You can tell I'm not very clued in about all this, i've worked on building sites all my working life so far lol) When you send an application off, how long does it usually take to get notice of whether or not you'll be offered a place? How many references will I need?
You can apply through UCAS if you're a mature student. Age doesn't really matter.
Reply 7
tigermoth99
You can apply through UCAS if you're a mature student. Age doesn't really matter.

Nice one. Is there a particular way i fill out the UCAS application to inform them I'm applying as a mature student or will they know just from looking at the age?

I'm like this at the minute :eek3: trying to get things sorted.

Latest

Trending

Trending