The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
gemgems89
Anybody know much about the DoE award?
I'm considering doing Journalism, Rock climbing and not sure about the service yet.

Are they good choices and has anyone any ideas about the service?

I know that DoE is highly respected by the univerisites and so is well worth it. By the sounds of it, it is also quite good fun.

As I didn't do it myself I can't help with the service.
Reply 2
gemgems89
Anybody know much about the DoE award?
I'm considering doing Journalism, Rock climbing and not sure about the service yet.

Are they good choices and has anyone any ideas about the service?

BTW, what level are you going for? bronze / silver / gold?
Reply 3
NikNak
BTW, what level are you going for? bronze / silver / gold?

Bronze.
Reply 4
gemgems89
Bronze.

Once you have bronze, can you then go for silver. Or can you go straight for gold without the lower levels?
Reply 5
NikNak
I know that DoE is highly respected by the univerisites and so is well worth it. By the sounds of it, it is also quite good fun.

As I didn't do it myself I can't help with the service.

Yes, it looks fun.

Anybody else any ideas about the service?
Reply 6
gemgems89
Yes, it looks fun.

Anybody else any ideas about the service?

no sorry....
Reply 7
NikNak
Once you have bronze, can you then go for silver. Or can you go straight for gold without the lower levels?

I think you can go to any level. But I'll probaly go to silver, then gold. It's best to get them all.
Reply 8
NikNak
no sorry....

Not to worry.
Reply 9
gemgems89
Not to worry.

ok thanks
Reply 10
gemgems89
I think you can go to any level. But I'll probaly go to silver, then gold. It's best to get them all.

good plan....
Reply 11
NikNak
good plan....

Yes, but it takes quite a while. Apparantly, it's about 3 months for the bronze and 6 for silver and then 18 for gold!
NikNak

yes you can go straight for gold but it's much harder. if you haven't got your bronze and go for direct entry to gold you have to do, i think, 6 training expeditions plus the exam ones. whch is a lot! if you've done bronze, i think you only have to do 4 training expeditions. and with silver, you only have to do 2. I think that's right anyway. It's definately very close if not right.

Caz
Reply 13
chickclick_UK
yes you can go straight for gold but it's much harder. if you haven't got your bronze and go for direct entry to gold you have to do, i think, 6 training expeditions plus the exam ones. whch is a lot! if you've done bronze, i think you only have to do 4 training expeditions. and with silver, you only have to do 2. I think that's right anyway. It's definately very close if not right.

Caz

Yeah, have you done it?
Reply 14
chickclick_UK

Caz

6 training expeditions?! Well I never had to do that. I only had 1 training for gold! And people who were direct entrants only had 2! But my supervisor was kinda lazy.

Gemgems89, if you're looking for service ideas go onto the Duke of Edinburgh's Award website which has loads of examples on.
Reply 15
work in oxfam or similar ?
i did my bronze. i helped out in a hospital with the coffee shop which was kool. met loads of really nice people.

that maybe what my school has decided. i don't think it's set in stone as such. though i think it would have to be more than 2. officially.
Reply 17
chickclick_UK
i did my bronze. i helped out in a hospital with the coffee shop which was kool. met loads of really nice people.

that maybe what my school has decided. i don't think it's set in stone as such. though i think it would have to be more than 2. officially.

Your school sounds harsh. Come to my College, we don't have to do any work here!
corey
work in oxfam or similar ?

A good idea, I worked in a charity shop for my silver service section. It was convenient for me, and could count as decent work experience on my CV if I ever want to get a part-time job. I could also put in extra hours in the holidays to make up for not being there too often in my busy school terms.
it's my brother in law who does it! gold's hard n i think that if i was going straight into gold i would prefer to do 6 expeditions so i know i'm really ready.

Caz

Latest

Trending

Trending