The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
It is still possible.

Call or email Trevs and ask if they have any room left for Nat Sci applicants. If they do, call up Collingwood and ask if you can switch.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
generic hybrid
It is still possible.

Call or email Trevs and ask if they have any room left for Nat Sci applicants. If they do, call up Collingwood and ask if you can switch.

Wrong way round - you need to contact Collingwood first - if you talk to Trevs, they'll just tell you to talk to Collingwood. Collingwood will be able to make the enquiry on your behalf with Trevs (and other small Colleges if you're happy to consider alternatives) and if they have space and are happy to take you it shouldn't be a problem - it can all be sorted from the one enquiry. There are more people applying to Collingwood than we can make offers to in Natural Sciences anyway, so we'd rather pass your application to another College than have to pass someone else to another College instead that was actually keen to come.
astro67
Wrong way round - you need to contact Collingwood first - if you talk to Trevs, they'll just tell you to talk to Collingwood. Collingwood will be able to make the enquiry on your behalf with Trevs (and other small Colleges if you're happy to consider alternatives) and if they have space and are happy to take you it shouldn't be a problem - it can all be sorted from the one enquiry. There are more people applying to Collingwood than we can make offers to in Natural Sciences anyway, so we'd rather pass your application to another College than have to pass someone else to another College instead that was actually keen to come.

Oops, my bad. Pay attention to this guy, OP!
Reply 4
Try to change, but if not I wouldn't let it bother you too much- I'm not the most outgoing person, and am at Hild Bede (another big college), and I absolutely love it!
Reply 5
I agree that you have to contact Collingwood and explain why you want to change college. In my case, I was forced to go to Ustinov, being a postgrad, but I managed to find my way to Trevs. How did I do it? I convinced the Admissions Secretary of Ustinov. The latter was the one who looked for a college on my behalf.
Reply 6
I really wouldn't worry too much. If you want to change college then go ahead. But if you can't change it is not the end of the world. You will end up making friends with people from other colleges on your course. I certainly have.

I am not that much of an outgoing person, yet I am at St Aidan's college "which is dubbed the party college... and after my first term there I can kinda see why xD". I have found people there to talk to who are not as out going as me too.

Hild bede yet again is a big college, but there are some quiet people there too (one of them being my girlfriend).

Seriously. Don't worry.
Reply 7
Thanks for the help everyone :smile:
I ended up contacting Trevs and Collingwood at the same time and I was successfully transferred to Trevs. Now to get the grades xD
Wooo, NatSci at Trevs :biggrin: Any questions about either, feel free to ask me :smile:. Good luck getting the grades!
Reply 9
purple-girl
Wooo, NatSci at Trevs :biggrin: Any questions about either, feel free to ask me :smile:. Good luck getting the grades!

Heyy, Sorry to bother you la, but i've just got an offer for trevs, but i'm now worried about the social aspect... not worried about making friends, just the nightlife :unsure: I have to admit i like to go out, and i know durham is a small city... jw how you've found it? :smile: thankeeyoo :smile:
megeggan
Heyy, Sorry to bother you la, but i've just got an offer for trevs, but i'm now worried about the social aspect... not worried about making friends, just the nightlife :unsure: I have to admit i like to go out, and i know durham is a small city... jw how you've found it? :smile: thankeeyoo :smile:

To be honest, I'm not much of a socialite, but those that are haven't had much trouble. Friday and Saturday there are planned nights at the union which are popular, and on Wednesdays Klute, a club which is so bad it's good so to speak, is free for trevs. There are a few other clubs around too, like Studio and Loveshack, and another one's opened just tonight. And there's always the option of staying in trevs and going to the bar in the evening if you don't fancy going out.
Reply 11
what's that new club called? i have to see it when i go to durham for a visit.
Reply 12
purple-girl

:woo: I'm so excited I think I will firm Durham soonish! (rejected after being pooled and reinterviewed for Cambridge two days ago >.<)

soo... not sure this thread is the place to ask but how have you found the course?! I like the look of all the biology units.. any you'd particularly recommend?
mya369
:woo: I'm so excited I think I will firm Durham soonish! (rejected after being pooled and reinterviewed for Cambridge two days ago >.<)

soo... not sure this thread is the place to ask but how have you found the course?! I like the look of all the biology units.. any you'd particularly recommend?

Yayyyy! Sorry to hear about Cambridge, it's a horrible feeling I know though I can imagine that with the extra interviews it must've been even worse :frown:

Anyway, Biology modules, I'll go through what we've covered in them so far:

Genetics: Meneleian (sp?) genetics, transcription/translation, structure of chromosomes, bacterial genetics.
Molecular Basis of Life: carbohydrate/lipid/protein/nucleic acid structures and functions, membranes in detail, metabolism
Cells, Tissues and Systems: structure of the cell (what the organelles do etc), stuff about microtubules/microfilaments etc, microbe cell structure
Diversity of Life: Theories of evolution, stats, diversity of plants.

Personally I'm not too keen on DoL, but that's mainly because I find all the cell/molecular stuff more interesting. Genetics I love, probably my favourite module of the 4, and the other 2 are alright, just pretty hard after the first few lectures (they all started off with A-Level stuff and then got harder). There's also a 5th module, Intro to Plants, Animals and Ecology, which you may be interested in, but if you're doing chemistry (this year anyway) thanks to clashes you can't do this one.

Latest

Trending

Trending