The Student Room Group

A question to drama students! (From a film student)

Hi. I am a third year film student and I'm gearing up to produce my first truly independant film which I will direct, shoot, write etc. I have shot paid documentary commissions but nothing like true indepedant drama.

I budget the project at around 400-500 pounds and the film will be approx 15mins.

I plan on getting drama students from my uni (Northumbria) in order to fill the roles.

As far as payment goes, lead gets 100 quid, every other role varies in payment. Pay is completed once all shooting is finished.

My question to drama students is, would this seem like a good deal to you? If you recieved a round robin email describing the project would you be interested in it?

Also what would you expect the audition process to be like?

Thanks. Any advice would be welcome in terms of contacting and dealing with student actors. :yep:
id email casting agencies/casting directors etc to ask what the process/course of action usually takes.
coming from a drama school, we get sent a lot of emails about acting work, most of which is unpaid and voluntary. as soon as someone so much as mentions you will get paid- people will apply instantly!
Biggest advice I can ever give you as someone who has produced a student film: Have at least 4 crew to pull off a drama, my biggest lesson was not realising how much work actually goes into a drama!

Be aware that budget will have to pay for Actors and Crew's refreshments on the day, Unexpected items (gaffer tape etc), DVD's for the cast and crew, last minute props and set dressings... I'm sure I haven't mentioned lots!

Most good amateur actors would be willing to act for free: providing they get a completed DVD copy, good refreshments and an enjoyable, productive time.
If in doubt use mandy.com

Its strange you're asking on a forum what you expect the audition process to be like: You are aware the audition would depend on how you work as a director, the type of characterisation you expect from your actors and how much time/ actors you will have to audition. Be a bit more specific and I can help you out!

But I expect you already know this I hope!

Also does your uni have a drama department?
Reply 3
Yes my uni has a drama department. I shot a student film last year as part of a module and we had 3 'crew' that was Director, Director of Photography and Sound.

For this I plan on having a micro-crew of only me (acting as Director and DOP) plus someone working sound. I am happy with the technical side of things and I am confident in my Cinematography however it is the people management skills I am worried about.

Regarding auditions, in my previous work I have never had to hold auditions as the commissions were documentary work and the drama cast were sorted before the script was written.

There will also be problems with the intensity of the shoot. All locations are public and a fair distance from each other, there won't be much time for refreshments etc and I think this could aggrivate the cast. Also a fair few scenes take place at night, outdoors which shall also prove a problem.

Do you think it would be better to simply to advertise the parts as unpaid work or should I go all in and offer some form of pay? Will paying my cast really make them perform better or have stronger 'will to work'?
Slacker00
Yes my uni has a drama department. I shot a student film last year as part of a module and we had 3 'crew' that was Director, Director of Photography and Sound.

For this I plan on having a micro-crew of only me (acting as Director and DOP) plus someone working sound. I am happy with the technical side of things and I am confident in my Cinematography however it is the people management skills I am worried about.

Regarding auditions, in my previous work I have never had to hold auditions as the commissions were documentary work and the drama cast were sorted before the script was written.

There will also be problems with the intensity of the shoot. All locations are public and a fair distance from each other, there won't be much time for refreshments etc and I think this could aggrivate the cast. Also a fair few scenes take place at night, outdoors which shall also prove a problem.

Do you think it would be better to simply to advertise the parts as unpaid work or should I go all in and offer some form of pay? Will paying my cast really make them perform better or have stronger 'will to work'?

actors will work better if they know they are getting something out of it- particularly money. however, if you send me a link to your website or collate your proposal/cast list or something i can perhaps forward it onto my drama school if you would like to get people?

Latest