Leeds

Leeds Accommodation 2012 Thread

Scroll to see replies

NEED HELP!

I can't choose which accommodation would be best between:

James Bailie

Opal 3

Leodis

I'm looking for a sociable, lively place, self-catered, with en-suite.

Any advice would be appreciated
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
If you had to choose, which one would you go for, Concept Place or Opal 3?

Thanks!
Are there proper showers in Clarence Dock or is it just a wet room?
jelly1000
Are there proper showers in Clarence Dock or is it just a wet room?

my sister stayed there 2 years ago, the bathroom are lovely! but she found it really unsociable :frown:
shotgun-city
If you had to choose, which one would you go for, Concept Place or Opal 3?

Thanks!

I've had the same predicament for ages! If I haven't decided by the end of this weekend I'm actually going to flip a coin :p:
Charlotte16
my sister stayed there 2 years ago, the bathroom are lovely! but she found it really unsociable :frown:

maybe it was just her flat?
Reply 246
ive applied for Leodis.
gonna be gutted if im not in a lively flat though :frown:
Reply 247
Moonbeam1991
I think it seems next year the catered place to be is Charles Morris, I think its part catered anyway. Im not big on catered but im done trying to persuade people its a major drawback.

Boddington is forced to be its own community because there is sod all else around which is why it has to have its own bar. But how are you ever going to meet other peope this way? Boddington is quiet in the sense its in the middle of nowhere.

Dev is for those who are privately/publically educated, providing they got fantastic grades and have rich and/or successful parents in prestigious careers, you tick all these boxes and want to be around people who like you for your status you will fit in well.

I would not say Boddington is any better than Lupton par having its own fairer priced bar, despite Lupton being closer. But then the city centre ones are the most active, people always doing things as its all on there doorstep. If the bus in traffic does not bother you on a daily basis then its fine I suppose, but its got not real local amneties. Its a 10min bus ride to Asda though in Holt Park which is nice.

Catered does not = sociable, its unsociable in many aspects I dont want to go into, as its restrictive due to timetables for your meals, not to forget its a rip off and you can save loads more buying your own shopping. If you go self-catered you cook together which is rather sociable and teamwork building.

Charles Morris in short :yep:

Hi Moonbeam1991,

First of all thanks for all your help regarding accommodation, iv found your opinions really useful :smile:

Concept place seems to be the most appealing place to me, mainly because its clean and seems really social, and i wouldn't have to get bus for uni which will save abit :smile:. I just wanted to ask what actual flats and rooms you would recommend because im guessing the building follows a similar structure for every floor.

As you have already lived there i'm sure you would have worked out dis and cons of each flat and room. I think the front views from the top floors are really nice though.

Cheers
Ash1ir
Hi Moonbeam1991,

First of all thanks for all your help regarding accommodation, iv found your opinions really useful :smile:

Concept place seems to be the most appealing place to me, mainly because its clean and seems really social, and i wouldn't have to get bus for uni which will save abit :smile:. I just wanted to ask what actual flats and rooms you would recommend because im guessing the building follows a similar structure for every floor.

As you have already lived there i'm sure you would have worked out dis and cons of each flat and room. I think the front views from the top floors are really nice though.

Cheers

3rd or 4th floors, 3rd floors more room and 4th floor most tidy and the biggest lowest floor. 4th-8th floor are same layout totally. The top ones narrow and the bottom ones also narrow.

Top floors facing front do have great views, but these are usually studios or one bed flats, if you can afford one of those nice, if not very few front cluster flats have the high view you need to enjoy it. View doesnt come into it really, I live 5th floor studio next to lift in middle at back view, level with street does not bother me least I can see up a street lol.

If your lucky you can snag a cheaper yet cheekier bigger room in the cluster in the 3rd floor, but u wud need to work it out on a floor by floor plan, u dont even pay more for the bigger one in a cluster, but cluster allocation is random luck unless you insist and make a nice impression on Jodie at the desk.

I would not pay more for a higher flat in short, which they do do at UNITE properties charge u more for a view its not worth it stick 3rd or 4th floor.
Reply 249
woodyx
ive applied for Leodis.
gonna be gutted if im not in a lively flat though :frown:

Ditto (well haven't actually filled out the form yet :p:)
yeah, but hopfully different flats will visit each other?
Lou :)
Ditto (well haven't actually filled out the form yet :p:)
yeah, but hopfully different flats will visit each other?

During freshers yes after freshers only if you made friends with other people in other flats does the flat knocking continue.
Moonbeam1991
During freshers yes after freshers only if you made friends with other people in other flats does the flat knocking continue.

Hi~:smile: I read through this thread and the info,esp from yours really helps me a lot. I was wodering if you could help me. I'm an international student coming to Leeds this Sep. It seems that catered places are not as good as I expected... So I'm thinking that a self-catered, sociable, safe place near uni would be nice~ The choices left are Montague Burton, Leodis, Sentinel Towers and Grayson Heights. I prefer the first two. However Leodis doesn't seem to have a good reputation of safety and socilazing(international students are separated from the others?...) I'd love to know more about Montague.
Thanks a lot!!! :wink:
BWNautilus
Hi~:smile: I read through this thread and the info,esp from yours really helps me a lot. I was wodering if you could help me. I'm an international student coming to Leeds this Sep. It seems that catered places are not as good as I expected... So I'm thinking that a self-catered, sociable, safe place near uni would be nice~ The choices left are Montague Burton, Leodis, Sentinel Towers and Grayson Heights. I prefer the first two. However Leodis doesn't seem to have a good reputation of safety and socilazing(international students are separated from the others?...) I'd love to know more about Montague.
Thanks a lot!!! :wink:

I have a friend at Montague and im not sure about the quantity of Internationals at Montague, I dont think there are many Internationals there. Though it is quiet nice yet simplistic, everywhere is pretty safe in Leeds compared to most UK cities.

I would suggest looking into private properties: IQ, CRM Priory, Opal 3, Sky Plaza these are good for Internationals, IQ has 3 blocks and one block is for international students which is really good, but you will still have British Undergrads and Postgrads nearby.

Sentinel Towers is a good bet full of internationals on PG courses, Grayson heights not heard of it, it must be exclusive International place again.

Its up to you but you will want to be near Internationals but not just Internationals its nice to mix with 2nd or 3rd year British students or preferably PG British students more your age aswell for the experience.
Reply 253
Hi :smile:
I really don't understand... "£77 - £91 standard room per week " (Oxley)
Do I have to pay £77? Or £91? What does it depend on?
Thanks for help))
Moonbeam1991
I have a friend at Montague and im not sure about the quantity of Internationals at Montague, I dont think there are many Internationals there. Though it is quiet nice yet simplistic, everywhere is pretty safe in Leeds compared to most UK cities.

I would suggest looking into private properties: IQ, CRM Priory, Opal 3, Sky Plaza these are good for Internationals, IQ has 3 blocks and one block is for international students which is really good, but you will still have British Undergrads and Postgrads nearby.

Sentinel Towers is a good bet full of internationals on PG courses, Grayson heights not heard of it, it must be exclusive International place again.

Its up to you but you will want to be near Internationals but not just Internationals its nice to mix with 2nd or 3rd year British students or preferably PG British students more your age aswell for the experience.

Thanks!! FYI I'm an undergrad applying for Leeds Study Abroad Programme. So it would great if I can meet more undergrad ppl~ I haven't thought about private properties before...Thanks 4 your advice! Opal 3 looks really nice~ But here comes a serious problem: The payment term n Opal is either annual or instalment. However I'll only study here for one semester. It seems that they cant allow me to book one for 5 months...:frown:
In concept place, whats the difference between premium and classic rooms? aren't they just all the same in cluster flats? or is it like the two on the end are bigger and so you have to pay more?
and Moonbeam, appreciate all of the info, I'm deffinately going for Concept Place. So you'd recommend 3rd/4th floor? thank you :biggrin:
I'm being ridiculously impatient about accommodation! The deadline hasn't even passed yet but I want to knowwww where I am going to be living :frown:
I'm torn between Opal 3 and Concept Place D: Help!

Leeds Met is my insurance so I'm going to book the one I choose through Opal/UNITE so I know where I'll be living for sure (I can do this, right??)

Does anyone know whether either has more UoL/Met students than the other? Do you think it'd really make a difference with making friends and stuff?

Thanks in advance :smile:
BWNautilus
Thanks!! FYI I'm an undergrad applying for Leeds Study Abroad Programme. So it would great if I can meet more undergrad ppl~ I haven't thought about private properties before...Thanks 4 your advice! Opal 3 looks really nice~ But here comes a serious problem: The payment term n Opal is either annual or instalment. However I'll only study here for one semester. It seems that they cant allow me to book one for 5 months...:frown:

Try the new Charles Morris or Henry Price then, if your a UG one semester thing, makes life easier.
shotgun-city
In concept place, whats the difference between premium and classic rooms? aren't they just all the same in cluster flats? or is it like the two on the end are bigger and so you have to pay more?
and Moonbeam, appreciate all of the info, I'm deffinately going for Concept Place. So you'd recommend 3rd/4th floor? thank you :biggrin:

Ignore the premium classic thing, all UNITE properties do this and at some there is a difference, but at Concept it doesnt matter its literally if you have are higher up your premium, because you get a better view out of your window. The building is hard to explain but ill try. Stick with cheapest option I would advise you dont get more if you pay more apart from a view, unless thats big deal for you then its not worth it.

The lower floors I think 4 or 3 downwards have less rooms per floor but the rooms there are, are actually slightly more spacious as are the top two floors but one of those is all one bed flats. Ive seen the view its nice to be higher up but its not worth paying extra for. The clusters on each side of the building tend to have one room bigger than the others, try find floor plan online. And specifically ask for that room. Just dont go on on floor 1 as its just so low down and is a bit unsociable every year.

Quick Reply

Latest