The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Leeds Accommodation 2012 Thread

Scroll to see replies

its one of the nicer ones and close to uni wish i was there!
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
all the ones in halls are
Surprised about price! I am verrryyy tempted. But just scared because obviously we have no idea of the inside!
If you've got a defered place for 2013 entry, you don't apply this year do you? :confused:
Also, I've noticed that loads of people have asked this but no one has answered yet, :s-smilie: what halls are meant to be the most social/have the best atmosphere/party reputation? I've heard it's Lupton , but I don't know! :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Hey everyone,

Doing a pgce in september so where do most of the postgrad's who live in uni accomodation go? Thanks
Applying for deferred entry - English and Drama, which means I'll probably have to apply for accommodation next year! (I'm not normally a forward planner for anything tbh... Ah, the things procrastination leads you to do...)

Okay...so I'm looking for halls that are:

Fun
Fairly cheap
Not a million miles away from the uni.

That is all. :tongue:

CHEERS FOR HELP ME LOVELIES. There's not actually a thread like this under accommodation, and the people that have asked this question before haven't really been answered...So, nows the chance peeps. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
I lived in Leodis which was close to uni but fairly expensive (£105pw) and even though I found it a good laugh it really depends on which block and which people you get to live with. Apart from that I always heard James Baille was meant to be a good laugh, it's reasonably priced and about 15-20 minutes away from the uni.
Original post by AfricanScorpion
Hi all,
Are smaller residences in at Leeds University easy to get into as your first choice?
I Had Clarendon place and Springfield mount in mind.

Yes, because most new students (particularly 18/19 year old first years) prefer the bigger halls. But there's no guarantee that you'd get a particular property (and quite a lot of the smaller residences get booked by second and third years). We do try to make sure that you'd be with people of a similar age and level of study though.
i'm really tempted to apply! i can't pick between central village, leodis or clarence dock!
which is more sociable out of leodis and clarence dock? clarence dock looks lovely and the distance from uni doesn't bother me, i'm just worried it'll be quiet as its so far away!
Reply 611
Decided on Lupton after seeing this thread :
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1729011
Just worried about the shared bathroom and stuff, as I take quiet some time in there in the morning :colondollar:
Original post by dulciemae
If you've got a defered place for 2013 entry, you don't apply this year do you? :confused:

I'm in the same boat as you. Do we still get a choice to accept places on UCAS even though we're deferring?
I emailed the accom office for some more details in case they were feeling generous haha. I think I might go for it. I'm just scared because its new it'll be underapplied for and unsociable and shizzle! I also really want to see the rooms!
i'm aware that most of the contracts are 42/43 weeks but is there a way that i can stay in leeds over summer if i pay more? i'm only asking because i know that some of the private accommodation offers the same option!
Original post by antipathyx
i'm aware that most of the contracts are 42/43 weeks but is there a way that i can stay in leeds over summer if i pay more? i'm only asking because i know that some of the private accommodation offers the same option!

Yes but, in uni accommodation,it will be about the same rent as you'd pay during term-time and you may have to move rooms. So if you know that's what you definitely want to do, you may be better going for a 51 week contract at one of the private halls.
However, you'll probably be moving into a shared house for your second year and the contracts for those start on July 1 so, unless you're in catered accommodation, you can move straight into your house for the following year (seeing as you'll be paying for it anyway - summer rent concessions are few and far between)
thanks for that.
having looked at the accommodations costs, the prices are set in brackets.why is that?
Original post by AfricanScorpion
thanks for that.
having looked at the accommodations costs, the prices are set in brackets.why is that?

Can't find where you're looking but they might be in brackets somewhere because there's such a wide range. The 2011/12 costs for smaller residences are here
http://accommodation.leeds.ac.uk/info/100001/prospective_students/57/costs_201112/3
The 2012/13 costs should be going up in the next few days.
Original post by Toshiya
I can apply for accommodation now that I've put it as my firm.
However, I might wait until more details about that new place comes out... it looks very nice, I'm just going to wait for prices I think!
I'll probably go for Clarence Dock otherwise. Though, I've been looking at Henry Price too since I saw it today and it's right on campus... which would be lovely. Roll out of bed and I'd be in my lecture since it's right near the engineering building...

I quite fancy the sound of Central Village too since I went on the open day last week for my course and saw how close it is to campus. Apparently rent is looking between 110-120 according to another poster (I made a thread about it) I emailed them today for some more info on it :smile: I'm encouraged to go for it by the amount of people considering it. I was afraid that because its new it'd be under subscribed and unsociable :frown:
In terms of social/ fun aspect really. Would also have to be fairly cheap, as I'm fairly poor.:rolleyes: I'm not asking for chandeliers and Queen-sized beds, and not having an en-suite wouldn't bother me - I've been sharing a bathroom with 4 other people for 18 years so I don't see why I should change now!
Thanks if you can help!

Quick Reply

Latest