The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
yes, that is the famous Ave han.....now can you see why they didn't think we were responsible enough to meet people on the open day?? She has given the Ave girls such a bad rep!! Do you know Nick/Starwars then? cos he said he did the photo board with a couple of his mates, he was my honourary roommate last term (cos he spent almost every night in my roommates bed!)
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 41
i dont understand! how do they get your photo? cos its not on ucas!
Reply 42
hey im at aidans and i love it couldnt have asked for anything better. but yeahcuths is cool yeah and has the fittest lads! plus there bar is open all year from 1 on wards whereas ours is only open from 1 in the summer term. enjoy cuths, but if ya cant get in then aidans is wicked too- and keeps ya fit to get up there!
Reply 43
lol when you get sent the freshers pack from Cuths they ask for four passport photos, one or two for your departments, one for your sports card and one that gets put on a big board in alphabetical order that is stuck up in the JCR!!! It's quite good when you have forgotten someones name, or if you are trying to find somebody!!

aidans is cool actually, i've never been but i have friends there and they love it (do cuths really have the fittest lads?!?!)
Reply 44
I don't think I should comment on whether or not Cuths guys are fit or not! Yup I know StarWars - good bloke. You may or may not have seen me hugging him and dancing round the bar like a maniac after Arsenal had just beaten Inter 5-1.

You should be fine by the way helping out with the March open day (which last year was quite big). If you know Sampras/ Satan and all that crew (and their love of the lash!) - they were heavily involved.

On an Aidans note, I remember walking an Aidans girl home last year and getting to the bottom of that massive hill.. At which point I dispatched her and went home to bed. Some things are worth the effort and some aren't..
Reply 45
OldBailey
I don't think I should comment on whether or not Cuths guys are fit or not! Yup I know StarWars - good bloke. You may or may not have seen me hugging him and dancing round the bar like a maniac after Arsenal had just beaten Inter 5-1.

You should be fine by the way helping out with the March open day (which last year was quite big). If you know Sampras/ Satan and all that crew (and their love of the lash!) - they were heavily involved.

On an Aidans note, I remember walking an Aidans girl home last year and getting to the bottom of that massive hill.. At which point I dispatched her and went home to bed. Some things are worth the effort and some aren't..

OMG!!!

Here was me just thinking about utter depair, having finally accepted that I must be a cambridge reject (cos I aint heard nuttin from da pool), toddled over here to see what you were saying about Cuths - and found loads to cheer me up!

i have a Durham offer (BBB) for Music, put in an open app and have got Cuths...I'd heard it was crap but you lot have cheered me up considerably! I'm coming up for the open days in March so I'm lookin for you to persuade me it's the best place to be (bloody long way tho'...and do you still get probs up there in the frozen north with marauding Scots??!!) LOL
Reply 46
No probs at all with Scots or Geordies.. It does get v. cold up in Durham though - more in Jan than in Dec, but it's worth investing in a warm coat. One advantage of living near the Arctic is that when you go home (if you live in the south) it will feel a lot warmer even if it's still a bit nippy! The cold is also a good excuse to have a couple of drinks to warm yourself up!
Reply 47
Musicwoman
OMG!!!

Here was me just thinking about utter depair, having finally accepted that I must be a cambridge reject (cos I aint heard nuttin from da pool), toddled over here to see what you were saying about Cuths - and found loads to cheer me up!

i have a Durham offer (BBB) for Music, put in an open app and have got Cuths...I'd heard it was crap but you lot have cheered me up considerably! I'm coming up for the open days in March so I'm lookin for you to persuade me it's the best place to be (bloody long way tho'...and do you still get probs up there in the frozen north with marauding Scots??!!) LOL

yep me2! we seem to be in the same sitution. Im going to the open day in march2, no doubt il see u as ive got in2 cuths 2 do music, there could be only us at cuths 4 music! oh i dont know though, i expect they give more offers than there is places!

how high is durham on ur list?

it will def be in my options sumwhere, mayb insurance!

what do u think about the music dept it doesnt look amazing 2me but then i dont really know!
Reply 48
kat
yep me2! we seem to be in the same sitution. Im going to the open day in march2, no doubt il see u as ive got in2 cuths 2 do music, there could be only us at cuths 4 music! oh i dont know though, i expect they give more offers than there is places!

how high is durham on ur list?

it will def be in my options sumwhere, mayb insurance!

what do u think about the music dept it doesnt look amazing 2me but then i dont really know!

I don't know too much about music dept yet - want to really suss it out...teehee - at least WE shouldn't have to share rooms! Who'd want to share with a piano?? I suppose we DO get pianos likewe would at other places/ It would be a no no for me if not - I need incentive enough to practise as it is without going halfway across the city! LOL don't know whether I will seriously consider until i've seen it...may not even come up cos it's a very long way for me...and I have BBB offers from everywhere else.
Reply 49
Starwars is cool, as i said i share a room with his (ex)girlfriend so i have seen a lot of him(!)...............although i hate his nickname, we call him Nipples in the ave (if you say his real name fast enough it will make sense!!) i suggest that everybody else starts calling him that too cos its a much better name!!!

errr i hope we can do the open day, but Sampras is one of the people who has commented on our reputation so possibly not.......

i'm so glad that we are showing you possible durham people what Cuths is really like, it doesn't deserve the rep it seems to have with people who have never been, it's wonderful! And our proctor is a Post Grad music student, so i will ask him all about music stuff for you guys!!
Reply 50
AmyBlue
errr i hope we can do the open day, but Sampras is one of the people who has commented on our reputation so possibly not.......
My bad.. Anyways even if you can't be 'official' you can always be unofficial, which in some ways could be better - i.e. no set duties but another chance to go on the lash!

AmyBlue
i'm so glad that we are showing you possible durham people what Cuths is really like, it doesn't deserve the rep it seems to have with people who have never been, it's wonderful! And our proctor is a Post Grad music student, so i will ask him all about music stuff for you guys!!
Have to agree with you there. And we're not being paid to say all this!
Reply 51
OldBailey
My bad.. Anyways even if you can't be 'official' you can always be unofficial, which in some ways could be better - i.e. no set duties but another chance to go on the lash!

yay lash!!! we will just sit in the bar and hi-jack a group of students and give them our own tour!!! that will show them how responsible we can be!!! (err actually maybe not)
Reply 52
AmyBlue
yay lash!!! we will just sit in the bar and hi-jack a group of students and give them our own tour!!! that will show them how responsible we can be!!! (err actually maybe not)

Sounds good to me! Anything you can find out about music would be useful - I'll have to come up with a long list LOL

So...let's get this right...on arrival we head for the bar, shout 'Oi Amy!' and leave the rest to you, right? According to the schedule, we dont need to do much thinking the next day - as long as I can manage to find the station to get home all will be well. :wink:
Reply 53
Musicwoman
Sounds good to me! Anything you can find out about music would be useful - I'll have to come up with a long list LOL

So...let's get this right...on arrival we head for the bar, shout 'Oi Amy!' and leave the rest to you, right? According to the schedule, we dont need to do much thinking the next day - as long as I can manage to find the station to get home all will be well. :wink:

Hello! Not too sure about the pianos in rooms thing, as Jamie doesn't have one, but he's doing a PGCE now, so that's technically not a music degree. I would have to check that one for you. I would def come up on the open day tho, even if you don't go, they are really good fun. I will be there with Amy hijacking the open day, and we'll guarentee you a good time!
Reply 54
Musicwoman
OMG!!!

It is so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so good, i really can't stress that enough! And notice anyone that is slagging off Durham or Cuths isn't actually there, and doesn't really have a clue what they are talking about, but me and amy are there, and we LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!! (and the bar opens at 12.30!)
Reply 55
Musicwoman
The format of the open day last year was basically, get everyone settled - shown to rooms etc then get them to come to the bar and meet people/ lash. For people that arrived early we also took them on a quick walk round Durham if they wanted. Then in the evening there's a dinner for everyone and a couple of people make speeches giving you the official line as to why Cuths is great. After that lash (I think there was karaoke - can't remember), and then Klute or Rixies [if you're 18 - got to say that in case someone 'important' reads this].
Then the next day there were department meetings for everyone (who isn't lying in bed with a hangover) and the open day reps walk you there so you don't get lost. Then after that we did a couple more walks round Durham for those that had time.
It's all really chilled and just about having a good time - regardless of the dept. meetings, those 24 odd hours in Durham will prety much determine if you love it or loathe it, and we all love it!
Reply 56
OldBailey
The format of the open day last year was basically, get everyone settled - shown to rooms etc then get them to come to the bar and meet people/ lash. For people that arrived early we also took them on a quick walk round Durham if they wanted. Then in the evening there's a dinner for everyone and a couple of people make speeches giving you the official line as to why Cuths is great. After that lash (I think there was karaoke - can't remember), and then Klute or Rixies [if you're 18 - got to say that in case someone 'important' reads this].
Then the next day there were department meetings for everyone (who isn't lying in bed with a hangover) and the open day reps walk you there so you don't get lost. Then after that we did a couple more walks round Durham for those that had time.
It's all really chilled and just about having a good time - regardless of the dept. meetings, those 24 odd hours in Durham will prety much determine if you love it or loathe it, and we all love it!

Ahhhhhh...I shall be 18 between now and the open days...blissssssss
Reply 57
Musicwoman

yep that is exactly what you should do, we can have our own classy classy open day if we are not allowed to be involved int he real one, ours will be better anyway (this is a lie cos the proper open days are really fun and our one would probably end in disaster, if Han has anything to do with it :P )
Reply 58
AmyBlue
yep that is exactly what you should do, we can have our own classy classy open day if we are not allowed to be involved int he real one, ours will be better anyway (this is a lie cos the proper open days are really fun and our one would probably end in disaster, if Han has anything to do with it :P )

Yes, true, but it would also be fun, fun, FUN!! and would probably involve bins.....i don't think the Ave reputation can be blamed soley on me tho...we are all disasterous...and i have 3 words for you fourteen / _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ i'm sure you can fill in the blanks amy! Old Bailey...who are you please? we were just wondering if we knew you.
Reply 59
You may possibly know me by sight. I work at the bar quite a bit, and my regular shift was on Friday working with Matt. oh yeah I'm also the guy that does the elections in the JCR meetings. Oh, my name's Tom btw.

Latest

Trending

Trending