The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
CoffeeAtStarbucks
That is completely different. The holocaust actually happened, billions of jews were killed by Nazi's. Looking at the majority of muslims, they have not committed attacks of genocide to this degree. It is only a minority of muslims that are extremeists. There are bad people in all religions, why attack the whole Islamic population for actions of a minority group. There was that story in the news about those 2 British teenagers who planned to emulate the Columbine Massacre in America by blowing up a shopping centre and shooting the people in their school in Manchester. They were not muslims. Everyone has a right to their beliefs, why should we call muslims' arrogant for believing? We all have beliefs, that does not make us arrogant.

Billions now was it?!:eek:

Let's see....both ideologies are intolerant towards and murder homosexuals because they are gay. Both ideologies encourage hatred to Jews.....

Nope, can't see any similarities there :whoknows:

It's no coincidence that Mein Kampf is a best selling book in many Muslim countries!
Reply 81
simcard2007
Im not being nasty, but would you say alot of muslims, from your experience, are cocky and arrogant?

they always think they're right about religious things, and it really annoys me.

explain evolution please muslims, how isnt it possible?

explain how your god allah is real please muslims?

how do you think if affects us all, in the way they act?

I personally like alot of muslims, im not saying they are bad..! but its just alot are cocky and arrogant. :yep:

HEYYYY, iv'e noticed you are a very confused human being so i'll let you in on some little facts.

To solve your evolution problem go to this website

http://www.harunyahya.com/

It has everything you need to understand why muslims dont beleive in evolution.

And your claim of god not existing, well watch this video of Dr Zaki Naik, a well educated muslim in these matters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2s14T6x5AM

You might aswell watch it since you posted this thread, it might really help you.....
Reply 82
CoffeeAtStarbucks
That is completely different. The holocaust actually happened, billions of jews were killed by Nazi's.

I am talking about Nazism as an ideology, not the acts committed by individual Nazi's.

CoffeeAtStarbucks
It is only a minority of muslims that are extremeists.

Why do you assume that we share the same definition of extremism? For example, I think it is extreme to execute consenting adults for having sex in private.

CoffeeAtStarbucks
There are bad people in all religions, why attack the whole Islamic population for actions of a minority group.

I am criticising Islam as an ideology, not the actions of its adherents.

CoffeeAtStarbucks
Everyone has a right to their beliefs, why should we call muslims' arrogant for believing? We all have beliefs, that does not make us arrogant.

Yes, we all have beliefs; however, some of us are arrogant. For example, I am an atheist, though I don't rule out the possibility that I'm wrong. Tell me, how many Muslims do you know who accept the possibility that they might be wrong?
simcard2007
Im not being nasty, but would you say alot of muslims, from your experience, are cocky and arrogant?

they always think they're right about religious things, and it really annoys me.

explain evolution please muslims, how isnt it possible?

explain how your god allah is real please muslims?

how do you think if affects us all, in the way they act?

I personally like alot of muslims, im not saying they are bad..! but its just alot are cocky and arrogant. :yep:

I don't know what kind of muslims you have come across but if ALL muslims were to be "cocky and arrogant" then PLEASE explain thtis

"It may be that Allah will bring about love between you and those of them with whom you are now at enmity... Allah forbids you not respecting those who have not fought against you on account of your religion, and who have not driven you out from your homes, that you be kind to them and deal equitably with them; surely, Allah loves those who are equitable." - Holy Qur'an, 60:8-9

& from what i've experience, non-muslims can be "cocky and arrogant" too, it's not fair to just sterotype all muslims to be like that.
Reply 84
CoffeeAtStarbucks
That is completely different. The holocaust actually happened, billions of jews were killed by Nazi's. Looking at the majority of muslims, they have not committed attacks of genocide to this degree. It is only a minority of muslims that are extremeists. There are bad people in all religions, why attack the whole Islamic population for actions of a minority group. There was that story in the news about those 2 British teenagers who planned to emulate the Columbine Massacre in America by blowing up a shopping centre and shooting the people in their school in Manchester. They were not muslims. Everyone has a right to their beliefs, why should we call muslims' arrogant for believing? We all have beliefs, that does not make us arrogant.

Your twisting what he said. His post
Messenger
That is an irrelevant distinction. Both Nazism and Islam are ideologies with repugnant beliefs.
was criticizing Islam the ideology, not launching a scathing attack on all muslims.

Everyone has a right to their own beliefs, nobody has the right not to have them challenged or be offended.
FrigidSymphony
1) But if it is in fact holy, then it was not written in any earthly context, and should need explanation by imperfect human mediums.

Where are you coming up with these assumptions from? Of course something can be holy if it was written for an early context?

Also (I hope I am not wrong in saying) the Quran is written as a guide to humanity, any guide to beings on Earth obviouslywould be in a form that applies to earthly life.. Just accept that your wrong, everything has to be in context, it applies to everything.

FrigidSymphony
2) Yes, assuming truth is arrogant. Skeptic philosophers teach us that we cannot ever truly know anything to its full extent, and the scientific method has proven itself to be the best method for ascertaining knowledge and establishing what is closest to the truth. Religion has no place in this.

Islam is scientific, it is not against science. Why should we attack people for believing they know the truth. If you want to belief that people who think they know a truth are arrogant then fine, believe it, you can therefore falsely label everyone with maturity in the world who believe something to be true as arrogant.
I hope you come out of your ignorance, it will only hold you back. We all have to learn to accept people with different beliefs, this doesn't apply solely to people of different religions, people in the same religion have different beliefs also - (thought i'd explain it now incase you didn't know).
Reply 86
SweetMusic
xxx

1 - If you are too ignorant or stupid to answer the questions put forward by the original poster, then you shouldn't crowd the thread by throwing around links to other websites.

2 - Do you mind explaining why the mainstream scientific community is in almost unanimous agreement that evolution is tantamount to fact if the evidence points to the contrary?
ajtiesto
Really, that's why "moderate whites" are turning to the BNP. Don't give me crap, the majority of white people have a racist agenda and would probably vote for the BNP. Don't tell me they haven't though about it. :rolleyes:

Source? or did you just make that up.

If the majority of white people wanted to vote for the bnp they would have alot more than 2 measly mep's wouldnt they?
CoffeeAtStarbucks
Where are you coming up with these assumptions from? Of course something can be holy if it was written for an early context?

Also (I hope I am not wrong in saying) the Quran is written as a guide to humanity, any guide to beings on Earth obviouslywould be in a form that applies to earthly life.. Just accept that your wrong, everything has to be in context, it applies to everything.

Islam is scientific, it is not against science. Why should we attack people for believing they know the truth. If you want to belief that people who think they know a truth are arrogant then fine, believe it, you can therefore falsely label everyone with maturity in the world who believe something to be true as arrogant.
I hope you come out of your ignorance, it will only hold you back. We all have to learn to accept people with different beliefs, this doesn't apply solely to people of different religions, people in the same religion have different beliefs also - (thought i'd explain it now incase you didn't know).

All I'm saying is that god truly is unerring, then he'd have come up with a much better guide to humanity.

Islam, scientific? Don't make me laugh. Again, you misinterpret what I say. I'm not claiming that people who claim to know the truth are arrogant in their demeanor or whatever, but that the simple assumption of knowing the truth is arrogant in itself, regardless of who makes it. That's why, for example, the atheist bus campaign slogan reads "There's PROBABLY no god".
MaceyThe
Well you can't really speak for all Muslims, and all my "moderate" (i.e. not good Muslims) are really chilled out, but what I will say is this.

My mum teaches English to 7-9 year old kids in a high Muslim area of Birmingham. She teaches black kids, white kids, Indians and devout Muslim children.

She says there are no problems except for the Muslim boys, who call her a "slag," (bare in mind these kids are >10years) because she's a female with blond hair, and refuse to listen to her.
And this is 90% of the time.

You have to question what these kids are being indoctrinated with.

That is so disrespectful, when I was little I would never swear at a teacher, no-one I knew would either. We knew swear words were naughty and wouldn't dream of saying it in class, the telling off I would have got from my mother was fear enough.
Reply 90
Messenger

Tell me, how many Muslims do you know who accept the possibility that they might be wrong?

Honestly, i do think about it a lot. *cue gasps*
But to me, Islam seems to be the only religion that FULLY makes sense to me, and i wouldn't become an atheist because i do believe God exists (yes, i know there is such thing as agnostics but i think i'll stick to Islam)

Alright, final post, I'm gone, I'm gone!
Many Atheists are cocky and arrogant.
Reply 92
wingull
Honestly, i do think about it a lot!

You are one of the few people I have come across who subscribe to Islam but seriously accepts the possibility that they could be wrong.

xBillyBrownx
Many Atheists are cocky and arrogant.

How so?
FrigidSymphony
All I'm saying is that god truly is unerring, then he'd have come up with a much better guide to humanity.

That's your own opinion, muslims on the other hand believe their guide to be great, it's up to them, just accept it and be open-minded. We havn't read the whole Quran have we? So how can we be so judgemental over a few verses taken out of context, we shouldn't. Maybe SOME muslims do wrong because they themselves are twisting the words of the Quran or misinterpreting it, if there is a fault then it may be due to the individuals not with the whole 'system?'. It is the same in any of our other religions, some people do good some do bad, why attack the whole religion. Be open-minded and let people have their beliefs.

FrigidSymphony
Islam, scientific? Don't make me laugh. Again, you misinterpret what I say. I'm not claiming that people who claim to know the truth are arrogant in their demeanor or whatever, but that the simple assumption of knowing the truth is arrogant in itself, regardless of who makes it. That's why, for example, the atheist bus campaign slogan reads "There's PROBABLY no god".

Again your are stating the point as if it is a fact, that is your own opinion.
The definition of arrogance is: overbearing pride evidenced by a superior manner toward inferiors.
Just because someone thinks something to be true does not mean they automatically look down on others for not having the same belief. The only thing that is arrogant is looking down on someone, not believing something to be true.
Messenger
Tell me, how many Muslims do you know who accept the possibility that they might be wrong?

I do. And so do many Muslims.
Reply 95
Darkness and Mist
Or instead of being a dick you could recognise that people have genuine concern about the nature of Islam and recognise that not all muslims are good and adress the issues instead of ignoring it all and pretending that there isnt a problem with extremism and attitudes towards the west/non muslims within the muslim community.

More like f***ing paranoia. Should that apply to white supremacists, Sikh extremists and Jewish extremists too. :rolleyes:
Messenger

How so?

Go on the forums and look at Atheist posts. Most Atheists refuse to accept that they may be wrong and they are extremely arrogant about their beliefs, calling religious people stupid and insulting religions. That's arrogant. And I'm sure if a Muslim person did the same to anyone else they would be aggressively attacked for it.
Reply 97
morecambebay
Source? or did you just make that up.

If the majority of white people wanted to vote for the bnp they would have alot more than 2 measly mep's wouldnt they?

I don't need a source, i can just look in their eyes and tell. It's easy.

Ever heard of the silent racists?
FrigidSymphony
That's why, for example, the atheist bus campaign slogan reads "There's PROBABLY no god".

Please bear in mind that in Islam the Quran is considered the words of God. It wouldn't make sense if the Quran read 'You should believe in God for he probably exists'.
Reply 99
xBillyBrownx
I do. And so do many Muslims.

Though probably a small minority. If not, then they should be more vocal about their skepticism, if only to improve the image of the 'Muslim world'.

xBillyBrownx
Most Atheists refuse to accept that they may be wrong and they are extremely arrogant about their beliefs

I have never come across a single atheist who refuses to accept that he or she may be wrong. If you take, for example, Richard Dawkins, who is often called arrogant by religious people, he says that, "there is almost certainly no god".

xBillyBrownx
calling religious people stupid and insulting religions.

Is that not a case of the pot calling the kettle black? Islam, for example, argues that other religions are corrupt. Is that not an insult? Furthermore, the Quran refers to non-believers as 'blind', 'evil' and 'dumb'.

Latest

Trending

Trending