The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Zoetrope
Stalin was 59 during the Great Purge. It is difficult to see it outside the context of revolution, and Stalin's attempt to continue the revolution. And are you equating 'dumb' with 'mental issues'? The Great Purge was not just the result of Stalin's paranoia.

I've no idea about what Hitler did when his family members were mentioned. I do know that many, many other young men felt the same way as him in the inter-war years in Germany. I'm not so sure how much emphasis should be placed on his childhood, but it probably influenced his later development in some way.

The facts were separated for a reason. :wink:
And in this particular case yes, I do.
russianroullette
Although Stalin killed more people, Hitler selectively killed them. Who was worse?

GEORGE BUSH!
irfy
whats worse, racist murder or murder?

Just to remind everyone that Stalin systematically killed Jews just like Hitler did.
Reply 43
MooDee
The facts were separated for a reason. :wink:
And in this particular case yes, I do.

Which facts? In the case of Stalin, they do not support your claim that he was 'dumb'.
Reply 44
King-Panther
GEORGE BUSH!

Bush's pro.

Zoetrope
Which facts? In the case of Stalin, they do not support your claim that he was 'dumb'.

In strictly military terms yes, he was.
Reply 45
MooDee

In strictly military terms yes, he was.

Well I don't know enough about military tactics to pass judgement on that. I suppose at the beginning of the war with Germany, when Russia was losing, Stalin was less willing to listen to his generals. I also seem to remember him reading fairly outdated tracts on military tactics, so you're probably right. Although I wouldn't call it being stupid, just lack of knowledge or aptitude in that area.
I don't think one is worse than the other. What they both did was horrific, and I think that by selecting one undermines the worth of the other's victim's lives. I would love to meet them both as teenagers.
Reply 47
Zoetrope
Well I don't know enough about military tactics to pass judgement on that. I suppose at the beginning of the war with Germany, when Russia was losing, Stalin was less willing to listen to his generals. I also seem to remember him reading fairly outdated tracts on military tactics, so you're probably right. Although I wouldn't call it being stupid, just lack of knowledge or aptitude in that area.

Might be, fair enough. But seriously, how did he expect to be successful after killing 80% of his, mostly very experienced, generals and colones? :p:
Reply 48
Ooh it's neck and neck :awesome:
I picked Stalin. He's responsible for millions more deaths and killed his own people.
Easy. Stalin.
jammythedodger
Just to remind everyone that Stalin systematically killed Jews just like Hitler did.

Too right. Jewish doctors plot.
Reply 51
There is no contest here. The one with the moustache
Stalin
well stalin is more left wing than hitler being right wing if you know what i mean. but also stalin is worse because he actually murdered his own people = the proletarian Russians with collectivisation, purges etc whilst Hitler at least gave the Germans some due respect. Nazism was invasive but at least the people under the regime were still recognised as citizens and had some degree of rights. Under Stalin this was nihilistic.
Well I'm hardly going to vote for myself am I?

Hitler...:awesome:
Reply 55
Stalin was by far worse. Stalin oppressed his own people and was responsible for the mass murder of millions [more than Hitler was responsible for]. Stalin was responsible for the death of allied forces, or forces whom the allies were defending.
Hitler came to power due to his extreme nationalistic views and his belief in the supremacy in Germans - His goal was the conquest of Eurasia, and the development of a German superstate.
Meus
There is no contest here. The one with the moustache

lol
Reply 57
Stalin. He killed his own people AND the Jews.
Reply 58
Stalin
Well I'm hardly going to vote for myself am I?

Hitler...:awesome:

That was not awesome. It was a pathetic joke, get out.
silent
That was not awesome. It was a pathetic joke, get out.

Anymore of your crap and you'll be receiving a knock on your door during the night.

Latest

Trending

Trending