The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Loughborough uni=boring?

ive heard form several sources that loughborough is boring. Apparently itson the outskirts of Leicester in the middle of nowhere, not even close to the city centre. Also, ive heard that it has **** nightlife. the only good thing ive heard is that it has a good student union?

i hope im wrong, someone please correct me or is this stuff true?:s-smilie:
Reply 1
:rolleyes: Seriously whoever told you that stuff has no idea what they are talking about!

1. Its not meant to be near Leicester, Loughborough is a separate town, which is halfway between Nottingham and Leicester, so yes its not "even close to the city centre" but its not meant to be at all. Thats like saying something like York University isn't near Leeds city centre...

2. Its not boring in the slightest, anyone who gets bored here must seriously be a boring person, there is so much to do here I don't have time in the week to do it!

3. The nightlife here is ace, I love it. Obviously its not going to compare to a city night life, but again thats not what it claims to be! There are some decent clubs in town and yes the students union is one of the (if not the) best in the country, so tbh I don't go into town even that much, I just tend to go out to the union!

I love Loughborough, definitely wouldn't have chosen anywhere else, but again its not for everyone, like I'd have hated to have been in a city centre. You need to visit unis to decide for yourself rather than relying on people who don't really seem to know what they are talking about...
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Reply 2
Exactly what Emma said.

I always find things to do. If you want to sit in your room on your own then you will be bored.

:smile:
Reply 3
Loughborough is no village... its a town. And i think its a decent town and has everything you need, i.e. supermarkets, pretty much all the shops you would expect (apart from things like Armani, Henleys and Prada... coz it isnt a fancy city). And if you're into that stuff, it only costs £4 for a return ticket to leicester, which only takes 10 mins. And there is also Nottingham not too far. Loughborough has good takeaways and restaurants. There is plenty to get involved into on campus such as sports clubs for all levels and also societies. Also there's things like RAG raids (charity stuff) and Action (Voluntary things to help the community), and these things turn out to be really fun. And also you'll have your studies to get through like at any other uni. And the nights in the union are just wkd!!! And there's good places in town like Amber rooms, Griffin, Orange tree etc.
Remember boring people get bored
There aren't as many super huge clubs as you would find in a city, but that certainly does't make nights out in Loughborough boring...
Reply 5
Okay I'm going to be totally honest as it seems thus far current Loughborough students have only "bigged up" the place.

I never got bored once in my first year.
However, after freshers year was over and I wanted to explore more, I discovered Loughborough is tiny and rather a dead end.

The town has some nice bars like Revolution and Orange Tree, nice restaurants like Fiftys and Browns Lane.

The shopping is really bad, but it's easy to drive to Leicester.
I do like Loughborough, love the Uni. But in my 3rd year now and the area is a bit boring. However, i don't really have the time to notice it as I've got so much work to do. If I do a masters though, I'm gonna go for a proper city like London or Manchester or Birmingham.
Reply 6
^ Agreed with Rosa, the novelty of Loughborough wares off eventually. By 3rd year you want something new to do / find / explore but that is what transport is for. Not exactly hard to get to Nottingham or Leicester.
Reply 7
Elephant.
- I like it, big enough to have most of what you'll ever want, small enough its all accesable, and 20minutes form leicester and notts by car train or taxis. Nice green campus.

Job done.

Daniel
Reply 8
Rkhan
ive heard form several sources that loughborough is boring. Apparently itson the outskirts of Leicester in the middle of nowhere, not even close to the city centre. Also, ive heard that it has **** nightlife. the only good thing ive heard is that it has a good student union?

i hope im wrong, someone please correct me or is this stuff true?:s-smilie:

The university is in Loughborough, not in Leicester, hence why it's so far away from the city centre of Leicester.

I mean...really....? =/
Reply 9
e_clark
:rolleyes: Seriously whoever told you that stuff has no idea what they are talking about!

1. Its not meant to be near Leicester, Loughborough is a separate town, which is halfway between Nottingham and Leicester, so yes its not "even close to the city centre" but its not meant to be at all. Thats like saying something like York University isn't near Leeds city centre...

2. Its not boring in the slightest, anyone who gets bored here must seriously be a boring person, there is so much to do here I don't have time in the week to do it!

3. The nightlife here is ace, I love it. Obviously its not going to compare to a city night life, but again thats not what it claims to be! There are some decent clubs in town and yes the students union is one of the (if not the) best in the country, so tbh I don't go into town even that much, I just tend to go out to the union!

I love Loughborough, definitely wouldn't have chosen anywhere else, but again its not for everyone, like I'd have hated to have been in a city centre. You need to visit unis to decide for yourself rather than relying on people who don't really seem to know what they are talking about...

Any reason I got negged for this post?? Oh and people that neg and don't leave their name are just idiots
Sounds like OP was describing leicester university. It took a £3.20 bus ride that took about 30 minutes to get from leicester town centre to leicester university main halls and main lecture places. Via public transport you could pretty much get from both Loughborough university and Leicester university to the centre of leicester in the same time. (20 minutes on sprint, 12 minute train for loughborough versus 30 minutes on the leicester bus!)

but unlike loughborough, leicester has nothing remotely close to the university except a big tesco.
doubt it very much! its one of the exciting uni like cam
I'm a student at Loughborough and I'm so bored right now..... That's why I'm reading threads from 5 years ago... :smile:
Hey what's the guy to girl ratio I heard its pretty bad! And as a guy I Don't want to be surrounded by majority of Guys in a night club.
Reply 14
Original post by mrguymanmale
Hey what's the guy to girl ratio I heard its pretty bad! And as a guy I Don't want to be surrounded by majority of Guys in a night club.

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Loughborough_University

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Nightlife is terrible, only good thing that goes on is DBE and even then its only on once a term
sounds perfect for me
Original post by alasdairgeddes
I'm a student at Loughborough and I'm so bored right now..... That's why I'm reading threads from 5 years ago... :smile:

Same here!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending