The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Officially, no; in actuality, very definitely.

When I applied I got 5 offers before Christmas, and as each university has a quota of offers that they plan to give out, it's obvious that there aren't going to be as many of those left by the time January arrives.
It's debatable, but logic indicates that you will be at a disadvatage if less places are avaidable.
Reply 22
Madjackismad
No, because you will be applying before 15th January.

You answer point blank like there isn't even a question up for debate. As I noted in the post before this one, I got 5 offers before January, if a certain course plans to give out, say 1,000 conditional offers, there are less remaining places for the early January applicants to fight for if I, and undoubtedly several other people, have just got one?
Reply 23
I am a late applicant as in two years late. Its fine. Places are always up for grabs providing you get the grades. Stop stressing, some people have far more to worry about. Like going to university 2 years older than the 'norm'.
Reply 24
There are always enough offers to give out to everyone applying before the deadline! You have to remember that a University will give out far more offers than places on the course. Many will reject the offer and those that accept it, may not get the grades to get on the course - so the numbers keep going down. Send it before the deadline, and your chances are just as good as anyone elses (grades, PS etc. permitting)
Reply 25
Andyuhoh
I am a late applicant as in two years late. Its fine. Places are always up for grabs providing you get the grades. Stop stressing, some people have far more to worry about. Like going to university 2 years older than the 'norm'.

Dude, are you a child? Why on earth would you be worried about going to Uni 2 years "late". You do know the average graduate age in this country is 26. I'll be entering at 21 though its hardly a concern, especially considering a very large chunk of my future classmates wont be 18 anyway.
Craig_D
You answer point blank like there isn't even a question up for debate. As I noted in the post before this one, I got 5 offers before January, if a certain course plans to give out, say 1,000 conditional offers, there are less remaining places for the early January applicants to fight for if I, and undoubtedly several other people, have just got one?

Jesus, no need for that. I have offers too, I'm just telling him the theory behind it, not the practise that actually happens.
AccioJellyBean
Apparently anyone by January 15th will receive equal consideration, but I do not see how this is possibly. Loads of people have already had offers, so there are less offers now available. Therefore people who apply late surely are at a disadvantage? I really do not understand the system. I would have thought the only way to give everyone equal consideration would be to not give any offers until every single application has been sent in. Obviously this impossible so I really do not understand how they claim that people who apply late have still got equal chances.

A lot of universities/departments will give out offers to pretty much everyone with a decent PS/reference and whose predicted grades suffice the offer given (and even to those with lower predictions). This is because from previous years they know only a certain amount of applicants will actually firm/insure the university and a percentage of them will not get the grades required. This is why less offers are given out before the January deadline for competitive courses such as English/Law/Economics at universities with a high number of (good) applicants.
Reply 28
Unis do not have any quotas for offers. This is a misunderstanding made by people who can't read English very well - they have quotas for places.

Unis make many more offers than they have places. Applicants can apply to 5 unis but can only attend 1, so as a basic idea they can give 5 times more offers than places. This does vary according to subject and uni, though.

They will tend to only give early offers to applicants they know are good enough - this may be a lot of offers given early, but people applying early tend to be the better applicants anyway. The more borderline candidates they would leave and consider when all applications are in. Remember they have dealt with admissions for many years, so know roughly what standard of application is "good enough"
bemusedcapybara
universities make offers in november/december to the strongest candidates that they think would get in even after january. most other offers they hold out on until the deadline. so they basically give out miiiiiiniiiiiimaaaalllllll offers before the deadline

Means I am in the 'maybe' pile. :frown:
Doesn't make me feel very special.
Reply 30
beatleboar
Means I am in the 'maybe' pile. :frown:
Doesn't make me feel very special.

No, it doesn't always. It could just mean that they haven't seen your application yet - they have hundreds (or thousands!) to go through, and so can't do them all at once. Or it could mean they just don't like giving offers out early.
Juno
No, it doesn't always. It could just mean that they haven't seen your application yet - they have hundreds (or thousands!) to go through, and so can't do them all at once. Or it could mean they just don't like giving offers out early.

I wish they would just tell me now though ! I hate waiting, mind you I do have one offer so I feel wanted :smile:.
Reply 32
beatleboar
I wish they would just tell me now though ! I hate waiting, mind you I do have one offer so I feel wanted :smile:.

Well, it's better to be a "maybe" than an "ergh, no way!"
Reply 33
Madjackismad
Jesus, no need for that. I have offers too, I'm just telling him the theory behind it, not the practise that actually happens.

No, I meant from last year. Anyway, the post was supposed to have more of an enquiring tone if you knew anything more ... not a rude one, sorry if that's what it sounded like.
Craig_D
No, I meant from last year. Anyway, the post was supposed to have more of an enquiring tone if you knew anything more ... not a rude one, sorry if that's what it sounded like.

No problem, I probably took it the wrong way as well. The whole application process is a bit flawed in my opinion.
Reply 35
AccioJellyBean
Apparently anyone by January 15th will receive equal consideration, but I do not see how this is possibly. Loads of people have already had offers, so there are less offers now available. Therefore people who apply late surely are at a disadvantage? I really do not understand the system. I would have thought the only way to give everyone equal consideration would be to not give any offers until every single application has been sent in. Obviously this impossible so I really do not understand how they claim that people who apply late have still got equal chances.
Have a look at this.

Latest

Trending

Trending