The Student Room Group

Question on work experience please.....

i'm thinking about going into a firm asking them if I can do a one week placement with them (voluntary) just to get experience(it looks really sexy on the CV.)
please can I ask, is one week enough? How should I go about approaching the employer? i'd like to get some experience in an accountancy firm, if possible... What's the best way to approach these situations?

Thanks for your replies.
Reply 1
Depends what it is for. I would have said that 2 weeks would give you a better idea of the workings of the business and wether it is something that you wanted to set upon as a career. The best way to approach them would be to write them a formal letter, followed up by a phonecall. Explain that you are looking for work experience and would like to volunteer your time to them. I believe if you do a google search you may find websites of companies that readily offer work experience.
Reply 2
BlackHawk
Depends what it is for. I would have said that 2 weeks would give you a better idea of the workings of the business and wether it is something that you wanted to set upon as a career. The best way to approach them would be to write them a formal letter, followed up by a phonecall. Explain that you are looking for work experience and would like to volunteer your time to them. I believe if you do a google search you may find websites of companies that readily offer work experience.

ok thanks

do i send out mass letters or shall i target one particular company?
Reply 3
No, no mass letters. It is compleatly unprofessional. By all means, target a few companies, but write them individual letters. Try not to write 'To whom it may concern' or 'Dear Sir/Madame'. It makes a far greater impression if you find out the persons name who you will be writing to.
Reply 4
BlackHawk
No, no mass letters. It is compleatly unprofessional. By all means, target a few companies, but write them individual letters. Try not to write 'To whom it may concern' or 'Dear Sir/Madame'. It makes a far greater impression if you find out the persons name who you will be writing to.

ok cheers :smile:
Reply 5
Your welcome, and good luck :smile:
tastybread
i'm thinking about going into a firm asking them if I can do a one week placement with them (voluntary) just to get experience(it looks really sexy on the CV.)
please can I ask, is one week enough? How should I go about approaching the employer? i'd like to get some experience in an accountancy firm, if possible... What's the best way to approach these situations?

Thanks for your replies.

Are you a Jamie Oliver fan? You sound like him lol (tasty, sexy...)

But anyway on topic, yeah I suggest do at least 2 weeks. A company might not want to take you on for just a week, coz it takes a few days to get used to how things work.
There's nothing wrong with mass mailing, as long as you individually address the letters, the companies won't have a clue!
Reply 7
haha jamie oliver's safe =)

I couldddddd ask if you if you were a male or female or both as your name suggests female but you say you're male in profile?

Thanks for your help...... Mail Merge baybay!!!!
tastybread
haha jamie oliver's safe =)

I couldddddd ask if you if you were a male or female or both as your name suggests female but you say you're male in profile?

Thanks for your help...... Mail Merge baybay!!!!

I am male, I put a subtle note in my sig about that lol.

The names from a TV show called 'keeping up appearances', in case youve never seen it!
Reply 9
i want to do the same sort of thing, im just going to send a bunch of letters out and see what happens. im aiming for 2 weeks also.
Reply 10
I'm waiting from a response from my career's advisor regarding work experience with Ubisoft. I hope I get in! I'm also going to be looking for further work experience during my free time, just to prepare myself more for the future, and to improve my CV of course!

Latest

Trending

Trending