The Student Room Group

A grade students in Biology/Chem Whats the best way to revise?

hi A students in chemistry and biology. What the best way to revise to get the top marks thnx.
Reply 1
Lol not an A student (got one mark of an in Bio) , but basically do loads of practice questions from the old spec it should get you somewhere!
yeah, bio is one that u can basically just memorise mark schemes for.......chem wont be that simple though lol
Reply 3
For Biology draw pictures/ diagrams, it seriously helps, not just for revising but for understanding some concepts as well, for Chemistry go practise as many calculation questions as possible and learn ALL the necessary definitions WORD FOR WORD. (I don't know about other specs. but the old edexcel markschemes were a right bitch sometimes)
I do loads of past exam questions - they only have a finite amount of things they can ask you and so questions tend to be repeated just with slight changes!
Cram your ass off, make your own concise notes from the syllabus textbooks, do past papers and go crazy on espresso and pro plus the night before.

Did alright for me but I would not recommend it.
Reply 6
thnx anyother help ,specfically best way to revise:smile:
Reply 7
past papers for chemistry! the questions are similar in every past paper and then u will get the jist of answering the questions also do diagrams and stuff..visual aid does really help
Reply 8
Lots of past papers and colourful mind maps i find most helpful :smile:
Reply 9
Wirk really hard throughout the year, and have a look over work done that week at weekends, then you only need about 2 days to revise when it comes to the exams, as you know everything.
Well, for me i am first covering the calculations for chem because they are very important as well and once you understand them, your cup is like half full. The rest is revision but that comes from past papers, first i write the notes, do past papers, check the mark scheme that way you get great understanding and memorize how the examiners want you to answer the question, that's how i'm gonna get 100% in these exams and how to get you your A, don't do biology.
The only way which works for me is to copy out everything from the revision guide out in my own words (except definitions - which i do in the right words). Then I normally read through the text book and make more notes!... Then finally I do a bucket load of past questions then check with the specification.

It takes ages and my hand normally feels like dropping off, but when I get into the exam I can just write the answers down without having to think too much!
:smile:
Reply 13
Practice exam questions!

I do not recommend doing what I do before and after and rewrite all your notes. xD;;

But making notes/jotting on a piece of paper as you go through really helps. 8D <3
Biology is just regurgitation really.. so doing old exam papers over&over until you can get all the marks for them is what I'm doing.
Obviously read through your text book/revision guide and make notes.. answer the questions from them & the exam papers to make sure you actually remember it :smile:
Yeah.. it's a longggg process lol and not much fun :p:

I've been told we're suposed to be doing 2 hours revision a day, reading through the text book at least 3 times a day..
But there's no way I'm doing that much :rolleyes:

**I'm doing the same thing for Chemistry, except with fewer notes really.. :smile:
Chemistry is a bit more about your understanding then memory, so make sure you know what you're doing so you can figure out pretty much any equation or formula.
There's obviously more to it then that, but I can remember the calculations and /how/ to work things out really easily, so when revising I'm focusing more on remembering the stuff you /need/ to know, rather then how to work things out.. if that makes any sense at all :p:
Reply 15
Chemistry really is one of those subjects where you get easy marks for simple definitions, so learn learn learn them or you'll drop loads of marks! I agree with the people here though, it's so important you do the past papers. For my Chemistry AS last year I found that the past papers all had really similar questions, just re-worded. Biology, on the other hand, isn't so simple. It's the one I find hardest and I'm currently revising for my A2 module. I find that making notes (in as much depth as you like them to be), then shortening them down from memory such as onto revision cards is quite helpful. I have friends who like to summarize what they've learned in powerpoints as well, so whatever works best for you I guess :smile:
Reply 16
PAST PAPERS!!! Do them over and over again, because in Science they can only ask so many questions. They just reword or change a few digits in all Science courses, especially for the GCSE Core Science students out there, if youve got multiple choice, I urge you not to do ANYTHING else BUT past papers.

Source: A* Student in GCSE Core, Additional and Triple Science
I went, throughout the year, and pretty much made my own revision guide out of a ringbinded book with plastic tabs... now I'm a few days before the exam and I've got my own guide with all my concise notes and it really helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending