The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
homoterror
the err 'shower issue'? :|

The fact that there's only one, and 23 people in the house.
Reply 21
Zarathustra
So you can't request to have an en suite room when you get accomodation forms, like you can with some other colleges? (I probably wouldn't anyway, just wondering what to expect!).

Nice one on the 10% off room - that sounds really good actually, I'd do it

ZarathustraX

hehehe no - the en-suite rooms are for the 3rd years who were in the bottom 10 of the ballot for 2nd year and thus when it was flipped ended up in the top 10 for 3rd year.
En-suite is just a dream for most residents of newnham....although to be fair I am literally 2 steps away from the *best* shower in Newnham (strachey north 1st floor...note it! although its REALLY ANNOYING because everyone from fawcett/the rest of strachey use it because it is so great and make loads of NOISE and grrrr :wink:)
You don't get accommodation forms at newnham, they just allocate the 1st year rooms randomly - so its a surprise when you get here whether you get a pwetty old one without a sink or a modern one with a sink.
Rest assured tho, if you do end up in one of the tiny ones in Fawcett you will be automatically put to the top of the ballot in 2nd year so you can pick an AMAAAAZING room - and so you paid over the odds for a crap room in first year, but pay wayyy less than the room is worth in 2nd year, so it all balances out, and means that if you're skint (like me) you don't have to have mingin cheap rooms and only dream of having the pretty cambridgy ones.

I managed to get a 10% off room in sidgwick - WITH A SINK and a FRIDGE! and a GARDEN VIEW! yeah baby!!

PS some of the 3rd year rooms have chaise longues and sofas and antique tables...not to mention spectacular garden veiws...
Reply 22
Helenia
The fact that there's only one, and 23 people in the house.

that is the most appaling thing I've heard in my life! no way!
Reply 23
homoterror
that is the most appaling thing I've heard in my life! no way!

lol, they are planning to do something about it at some point, but there are plenty of baths too.

Castle End rocks don't let anyone tell you different :smile:, just have baths not showers and it's fine lol. St. Andrews is also nice but I think Helen is upstairs from where I was so it's obviously not as nice as number 3 was :biggrin:
Things are just more annoying in St. Andrews---like the flooding in the bathroom and the light being killed so showering by torch light, the toilet lights that think 12 seconds is a suitable time to automatically switch off after etc, the cooker tripping if it gets too wet etc etc. I think the difference is that you expect it from the End but not from a brand newly done up building.

The view of Cambridge was great though, going to miss that in London.

A.
Reply 24
yay you're moving to London? :biggrin:
Reply 25
homoterror
yay you're moving to London? :biggrin:

Yeah! I'm going to be mainly looking at EC3/E1/E2 so that I could walk to work (in EC2) most of the year. Should be near brick lane and stuff where I hear there are good curry houses so I should be well catered for :smile:

Never lived in a big city, never wanted to, now being forced to by circumstance, so we'll see if I enjoy it!

A.

Latest

Trending

Trending