The Student Room Group

Biomedical Sciences

Hi,

I don't know if I've posted this in the right place but, I wanted some advice.
:p:
I'm applying for biomedical sciences but I don't know if I can write that I am
thinking of going into teaching in my personal statment as Biomedical sciences
looks at the research in the field of human diseases? And they emphasizes field
of research but they don't mention teaching in prospectuses I've looked at. :confused:

Thanks to anyone that can help!!
crystal-09
Hi,

of research but they don't mention teaching in prospectuses I've looked at.

You don't need to mention careers or talk about what you want to do with your degree in the future - the admissions tutors aren't too interested in what you want to do in June 2013/14, they want to know why you want to study biomedical science in September 2010. Concentrate on saying why you want to do this degree, explaining what you want to do with it is fairly irrelevant to your application. They want people who are interested in the field in terms of wanting to studying it for 3 years, not people who are claiming they love biomedical science so much that they are planning on devoting their life to it by doing research.... most graduates don't go into research/use their degree in a literal sense so you don't need to try and pretend that you will be doing, just stick to why you want to study it in the here and now.
Reply 2
Thanks 'the tooth-brigade', I written how I appreciate research being done etc.
But, I've been told they want to know what you want to do after getting your degree because then they think your less likely to drop out.
:confused:
Reply 3
oxymoronic
You don't need to mention careers or talk about what you want to do with your degree in the future - the admissions tutors aren't too interested in what you want to do in June 2013/14, they want to know why you want to study biomedical science in September 2010. Concentrate on saying why you want to do this degree, explaining what you want to do with it is fairly irrelevant to your application. They want people who are interested in the field in terms of wanting to studying it for 3 years, not people who are claiming they love biomedical science so much that they are planning on devoting their life to it by doing research.... most graduates don't go into research/use their degree in a literal sense so you don't need to try and pretend that you will be doing, just stick to why you want to study it in the here and now.

I've taken everything you said on bord but my teacher said they are less likely to think that you will drop out if you know what you want to do with the degree.
But I completely agree with what your saying!!! :smile:
However, my teacher said that I would need to find out if I could write about the teaching because she did know!!
:confused:
crystal-09
Hi,

:p:
of research but they don't mention teaching in prospectuses I've looked at. :confused:

i would mention it. it will not be held against you. with out teachers in biomed they would never be able to train biomedical scientist.
i am applying for biomed and have read on some uni sites that their graduates have gone on to teach. it is very common, where do you think all the biomed teachers at the unis come from? :biggrin:
crystal-09
I've taken everything you said on bord but my teacher said they are less likely to think that you will drop out if you know what you want to do with the degree.
But I completely agree with what your saying!!! :smile:
However, my teacher said that I would need to find out if I could write about the teaching because she did know!!

No.... they're not going to think you're likely to drop out because you don't mention every one of your life plans in the 47 lines you're allocated by UCAS. You need to concentrate on saying why you want to study biomedical science in the here and now, what you want to do with it is incredibly aribtary. As I said, most graduates end up doing something which isn't directly related to their degree as its all about transferable skills and knowledge. I graduate this year and certainly have no plans to contribute to anthropological research!

Concetrate on writing about why you want to study biomedical science and why you're interested in doing a degree in it. This needs to be the focus, not worrying about what you want to do with the degree afterwards because if you don't get accepted onto the degree in the first place through showing them why you're really interested in studying it for the next 3 years then you won't be able to do x y and z regardless of what you tell them you're planning on doing with it!

If you're dead set on mentioning careers, say you want to be a teacher. It isn't going to harm your application by not saying that you don't want to be a biomedical scientist for life as it makes you look less dedicated or whatever, but you really don't need to mention a career at all.
You could maybe mention your future aspirations to be teaching?
Reply 7
ballerinabetty
i would mention it. it will not be held against you. with out teachers in biomed they would never be able to train biomedical scientist.
i am applying for biomed and have read on some uni sites that their graduates have gone on to teach. it is very common, where do you think all the biomed teachers at the unis come from? :biggrin:

Thanks for your advise and I'm sure you'll hear from leeds soon, the best of luck.
I am thinking of applying to five out of the six : southampton, reading, reading (biochem), surrey, brighton and portmouth. Can't make up my mind.:o:
Reply 8
oxymoronic
No.... they're not going to think you're likely to drop out because you don't mention every one of your life plans in the 47 lines you're allocated by UCAS. You need to concentrate on saying why you want to study biomedical science in the here and now, what you want to do with it is incredibly aribtary. As I said, most graduates end up doing something which isn't directly related to their degree as its all about transferable skills and knowledge. I graduate this year and certainly have no plans to contribute to anthropological research!

Concetrate on writing about why you want to study biomedical science and why you're interested in doing a degree in it. This needs to be the focus, not worrying about what you want to do with the degree afterwards because if you don't get accepted onto the degree in the first place through showing them why you're really interested in studying it for the next 3 years then you won't be able to do x y and z regardless of what you tell them you're planning on doing with it!

If you're dead set on mentioning careers, say you want to be a teacher. It isn't going to harm your application by not saying that you don't want to be a biomedical scientist for life as it makes you look less dedicated or whatever, but you really don't need to mention a career at all.

When you put it like that it makes sense!!! Thanks
:rolleyes: It seems like a silly question now.
:yes:
Reply 9
LettersFromTheSky
You could maybe mention your future aspirations to be teaching?

Thanks for your help, I think I will very briefly say it, if at all.
:smile:
Reply 10
the-tooth-brigade
I'm currently studying biomedical science, in final year, and I can tell you know that you don't need to state your whole career path on your personal statement. I didn't mention what I wanted to do on mine. I think I focused on research and my interest in the science, especially biology.

Note: You can only work in an NHS lab as a biomedical scientist on courses which are accredited by the IBMS. Most of the top universities don't have accredited courses and tend to focus their curriculum on research, rather than lab work.

If you don't mind me asking what university are you studying at, and what is it like?
crystal-09
When you put it like that it makes sense!!! Thanks
It seems like a silly question now.

good luck with the application! remember as I keep saying, the important thing is to show them why you want to study biomedical science and why it interests you, everything else is secondary.

thank you for the rep comment :smile:
crystal-09
Thanks for your help, I think I will very briefly say it, if at all.
:smile:

Yeah, you could do, some of my teachers have said put in future aspirations in your ps.

I want to do Biomedical aswell but tbh its to get into Medicine.
LettersFromTheSky
Yeah, you could do, some of my teachers have said put in future aspirations in your ps.

Unfortunately, many teachers don't cover themselves with glory when advising people about university applications. Oxymoronic has given advice that is spot on.
Good bloke
Unfortunately, many teachers don't cover themselves with glory when advising people about university applications. Oxymoronic has given advice that is spot on.

Oh okay, just passing on what advice Ive been given tbh :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending