The Student Room Group

What do you think about foreigners' perception of London?

London is widely thought of by people around the world as one of the best capital cities, a city of luxury, great history...basically a total haven!

It does have great international significance for business, politics and education - but leaving that side out of it, what do you think about foreigners' perception of London?

Do you think they'd feel differently if they knew about the gang culture, the crimes, the not so glamorous London beyond Canary Wharf and the areas like Kensington and also the lack of spending on its infrastructure comparative to other leading cities?

Do you think it is fair for London to keep it reputation based on its historic assets i.e. the oldest banking system, the oldest educational institutes?

Do you think that the perception of London is realistic and that if people were to come to see for themselves it would match what would be expected of its reputation?
Reply 1
i think every big city has its issues with crime and stuff, one of my flatmates is from america here on a year abroad and she'd never visited london before she came and she loves it.
Reply 2
Surely you can answer that yourself can't you? If I were from a country afar and I suddenly found out that London has problems do you think that I'd be so disillusioned that I'd kill myself or suddenly realise that everything in this world has its problems and that actually for tourist purposes I'll keep myself in an illusion where everyone wears bowler hats and says "cuppa tea?" every now and then?
I think your point is very valid.

It depends how much they romantify (?) London - if they come expecting all of it to be Kensington, then it may hit them slightly harder... I think you're right. The opinion would be lower if they knew of certain parts of London. However, I'd say the same is true of New York, Paris, and other major cities that get by on their historic/media-based reputation.
South London is the safest place in the world! :lol:
Mostly inaccurate.
Reply 6
In late September, I had the chance to visit London and honestly, I truly enjoyed the city. It exceeded my expectations with future visits a must.
Reply 7
It's dirty.
Reply 8
I love London for its not-so-glamorous side.
Reply 9
Well I'm foreign and I don't glorify London.. It's a great city but it has many less beautiful aspects and places, just like any other capital in the world :confused: Only the naive would think otherwise.
Reply 10
A lot of people from London will do anything to avoid a convo with a stranger
Reply 11
RatnSha
A lot of people from London will do anything to avoid a convo with a stranger

A bit of small talk is all well and good on country lanes and in village post offices, but in London it'll be a full-time job.
But most people who come to visit London would tend to mainly see the glamorous side of it anyway. The scummy parts are in places like Barking or Enfield or Lewisham, which aren't so touristy. And even then, all cities are contrasts - I stayed in a youth hostel in Paris which was next to a really badly dilapidated council block and a general neglected atmosphere. But it doesn't change my overall view of Paris.

Latest

Trending

Trending