The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I live in a flat
Sometimes they say professionals only, in which case no. We do count as human beings so I assume you can live where you want unless specified.
Reply 3
Yep, although some have restrictions, it's not ruled out by any means! Most universities will presume/recommend that you'll go through them though, and with good reason too; they can sometimes match up the leases more effectively with terms, offer subsidies and so on, and if anything goes wrong it's much easier to go through accom. departments/student support than one single person.
Reply 4
Yeah, I live in a 'regular' flat.

It works out a little more expensive, but it's nicer, and it's just me and my boyfriend rather than ten million other people!

It's a better quality place, and it's in a nicer area. No drunk students wandering around!
Reply 5
Yes of course, where do you think the 2nd & 3rd years live?
They're not cheaper though 12 month tenancies & bills to pay.
i dont think its defo cheaper. The land lords for sutden houses/flats often charge per person and not per house like most normal rent houses/flats does which i think works out rather expensive? but maybe im wrong. but yeah unless it actually says no students you should be fine
Reply 7
We live in a house, and are the first students to live here, previously it was only families, so yes you can.
*Sparkle*
Yes of course, where do you think the 2nd & 3rd years live?
They're not cheaper though 12 month tenancies & bills to pay.

That's not what she means, she's wondering whether students can go through normal letting agencies/landlords and live in a house designed for normal people, not students.

And the answer is yes, of course you can, but since it won't be a HMO ( House of Multiple Occupancy) then there'll obviously be less bedrooms and you'll have to sort out the rent yourselves because you'd be paying it as a whole, not separately for each person.
Reply 9
My friends went for professional flats, but found it quite difficult since most estate agents simply won't let students look round properties not meant for students. And they're post-grads who have grants and work 9-5 mon-fri (i.e. would practically be professionals if it wasn't for the student status). So it's a lot of hunting around to find which agents are snobbish and which aren't.

A don't forget, if you get a professional house/flat it's usually expected that you don't make lots and lots of noise late at night mid-week.
Svenjamin
My friends went for professional flats, but found it quite difficult since most estate agents simply won't let students look round properties not meant for students. And they're post-grads who have grants and work 9-5 mon-fri (i.e. would practically be professionals if it wasn't for the student status). So it's a lot of hunting around to find which agents are snobbish and which aren't.

A don't forget, if you get a professional house/flat it's usually expected that you don't make lots and lots of noise late at night mid-week.

Didn't know estate agents could afford to be snobbish :P
Yup, my best mate is in first year and lives in a flat
flowermaster91
Yup, my best mate is in first year and lives in a flat

But is it a student flat?
RightSaidJames
But is it a student flat?

:nope:

She could of lived on campus, but she applied a bit too late when all the available spaces were gone :frown:
Yeah, I lve in a normal flat and it's so much better. Although, that being said, I went to a student house which **** all over ours.
flowermaster91
:nope:

She could of lived on campus, but she applied a bit too late when all the available spaces were gone :frown:

What I mean is, is it a flat kitted out for students to live in and/or let out by a student letting agency, or is it just a normal flat that anyone can live in?
RightSaidJames
What I mean is, is it a flat kitted out for students to live in and/or let out by a student letting agency, or is it just a normal flat that anyone can live in?

normal flat anyone can live in

sorry :colondollar:
Reply 17
yes but it is usually more expensive to live in student areas than in non-student areas (at least for edinburgh uni) as you are paying for the proximity to the university and there are 27000 students so landlords can bump up the price as much as they want (usual rent is between £60 and £100 per week plus bills, although there is a big difference in quality of flat in that price range, non-student areas you can get a decent flat for £70 per week per person)
Where I go to uni they have no choice but to let flats in the city centre and surrounding areas to students - otherwise there would be a lot of empty flats and houses. I'm going to be living in a normal flat next year and since there's only two of us we don't need a HMO (that's three or more people living together who are not related) and we can have a living room.

I've hated living in student accommodation.
RightSaidJames

I really don't understand what you mean by kitted out for students? Is there some sort of special type of cooker they have to have if they're suited for students? I didn't think there was.

A flat's a flat whether it's for professionals or students. A majority of them look the same on the inside whether they are advertised for students, professionals or no DSS. I really don't understand what answer you're looking for. If the landlord agrees to show you around as a group of students then they'll let you rent it - if they don't then they won't.

Latest

Trending

Trending