The Student Room Group

George Osborne's brother becomes a Muslim to marry his love

Scroll to see replies

WildBerrySpirit
Yes it was his choice, but would he have had another option if he wanted to marry the women? No, I don't think so.:rolleyes:

The woman could convert?

As for all of those saying this proves Islam to be intolerant, its called a tradition. This has been the case for over a millenium, so it obviously makes sense to carry it on. Even so I don't see how this makes Islam intolerant in any way. Some people will try and dig up absolutely anything to throw at Islam - you can't win, can you? :rolleyes:
Reply 21
the-tooth-brigade
Says the Hindu. You can't even marry outside your caste, never mind another religion.

:rofl: exactly

+rep.
Good for him, and good luck to him.

Media student
It was his choice, Islam didnt force him did it!! He chose a muslim woman out of all the non-muslim women, I dont think a Hindu family would allow a white man to marry their daughter, even if he converts, actually no, cause you cant convert to Hindu, you have to be born 1)

I know at least two Hindu women one in her early 20's, the other in her late 20's who have married outside her religion, and outside her race and her family are completely supportive.

the-tooth-brigade
Says the Hindu. You can't even marry outside your caste, never mind another religion.

See above
Badrkahandaman
The woman could convert?

As for all of those saying this proves Islam to be intolerant, its called a tradition. This has been the case for over a millenium, so it obviously makes sense to carry it on. Even so I don't see how this makes Islam intolerant in any way. Some people will try and dig up absolutely anything to throw at Islam - you can't win, can you? :rolleyes:

The point is neither of them should have to convert.

In Islam is it not prohibited for a woman to marry a non-muslim? Yet it's perfectly fine for a man to marry a non-muslim (Jew or Christian). If that's not considered intolerant, then what is?
WildBerrySpirit
The point is neither of them should have to convert.

In Islam is it not prohibited for a woman to marry a non-muslim? Yet it's perfectly fine for a man to marry a non-muslim (Jew or Christian). If that's not considered intolerant, then what is?

The fact a man can marry a non-Muslim is because of male superiority not only in the Islamic world, but the whole world during Quranic times.

And yes it is prohibited, that it what is being discussed, but I still don't see how that is intolerant. Primitive by our modern standards maybe, but not intolerant.
the-tooth-brigade

Wtf, where the hell do you get your information from.

Just to correct you, marriage in Hinduism is deemed to be completely acceptable in regards to marrying a non-hindu.
Badrkahandaman
The fact a man can marry a non-Muslim is because of male superiority not only in the Islamic world, but the whole world during Quranic times.

And yes it is prohibited, that it what is being discussed, but I still don't see how that is intolerant. Primitive by our modern standards maybe, but not intolerant.

My bold, there lays your answer.:rolleyes:
Reply 27
ak56

However, if Christian families turned the tables and said Muslims couldn't marry their children until the Muslims converted to Christian

That's not uncommon in religious Christian countries (lots of Christian groups hold that Corinthians 6:14 and Deuteronomy 7:3 prohibit inter-marriage, even considering Catholic-Protestant marriages to be unacceptable). I know people who've gone both ways.

The key factor tends to be in the religiousity of the participants rather than the religion in question, the less religious one tends to convert to the faith of the religious one.
WildBerrySpirit
My bold, there lays your answer.:rolleyes:

Re-read my first sentence (but ALL of it this time). There lays your answer.
Badrkahandaman
Re-read my first sentence (but ALL of it this time). There lays your answer.

Whether that statement is considered as the truth or not, the fact still remains that woman in Islam are still considered as being inferior to men, in comparison to other religions.
thunder_chunky
Good for him, and good luck to him.

I know at least two Hindu women one in her early 20's, the other in her late 20's who have married outside her religion, and outside her race and her family are completely supportive.

See above

and I know that you are lying, so shut the **** up
Reply 31
Poor bloke really doesn't know what he's getting himself into
WildBerrySpirit
Whether that statement is considered as the truth or not, the fact still remains that woman in Islam are still considered as being inferior to men, in comparison to other religions.

I dont think this is the case. When Islam began, as it were, women probably had more rights in the Muslim world than they had elsewhere. The problem, however, is that there has been the least progression since then. What I do like about Christianity, among other religions, is that they have somewhat adjusted their teachings and rules to modernize and progress. But Islam, while I think the fundamentals are right, really needs to get with the times. And this is from a Muslim.
Lefty Leo

What gave you the idea that i'm Hindu? :rolleyes:

if you go on to tell us you're a sikh then we arent gonna listen to anything you have to say about muslims
Media student
and I know that you are lying, so shut the **** up

:lol: Now there's a compelling argument if ever I heard one.
Reply 35
what a weirdo!
Badrkahandaman
I dont think this is the case. When Islam began, as it were, women probably had more rights in the Muslim world than they had elsewhere. The problem, however, is that there has been the least progression since then. What I do like about Christianity, among other religions, is that they have somewhat adjusted their teachings and rules to modernize and progress. But Islam, while I think the fundamentals are right, really needs to get with the times. And this is from a Muslim.

How can that have been the case, if men were considered to be of a superior status in regards to woman? The fact that a Muslim woman cannot marry a non-muslim, is certainly intolerable, double standards is what it is. More rights? I don't think so, if woman are being portrayed as second-class citizens, in their own Islamic world.
WildBerrySpirit
How can that have been the case, if men were considered to be of a superior status in regards to woman? The fact that a Muslim woman cannot marry a non-muslim, is certainly intolerable, double standards is what it is. More rights? I don't think so, if woman are being portrayed as second-class citizens, in their own Islamic world.

I still don't think you get my point. When did Islam begin? 7th Century? You really think women over here had the rights and equality they have now? Of course not. In the Quran, it is written that men have double the rights of women. Well, in the 7th Century, Id be surprised if women had one fifth the rights of men elsewhere.

You are making the mistake of calling it intolerant by todays standards, but you forget that fundamentally it was more tolerant than other religions, by your logic. The problem has been progression, of which there hasn't been much, which is why modern-day Islam is in such a mess.
Reply 38
Badrkahandaman
I still don't think you get my point. When did Islam begin? 7th Century? You really think women over here had the rights and equality they have now? Of course not. In the Quran, it is written that men have double the rights of women. Well, in the 7th Century, Id be surprised if women had one fifth the rights of men elsewhere.

You are making the mistake of calling it intolerant by todays standards, but you forget that fundamentally it was more tolerant than other religions, by your logic. The problem has been progression, of which there hasn't been much, which is why modern-day Islam is in such a mess.

I really think you should research your religion.
Diaz89
I really think you should research your religion.

I know enough about it thanks. The other bloke was calling it intolerant for giving men more rights than women, and that was my response.

Quick Reply

Latest