The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
have you done a search for this? the topic has been covered about 100 times I think...
Reply 2
Laptop. It's easier to carry and it's portable.
Reply 3
Laptop. Unless you want to carry a 20kg dektop + monitor around.
Reply 4
I'm taking a laptop for two reasons:

1. Laptops are portable
2. I find my PC gives out a lot of heat and I don't want my room to be like a sauna.
Reply 5
Laptop, because my laptop works as a perfect desktop replacement:yy:
Reply 6
i ask myself this: friday evening after a long week, ur tired, no food left in the cuboard, no clean clothes left, got a 5000word essay set for the weekend and all you want is a comfortable bed - ie ur old bedroom at home. BUT the essay is based on previous work that is saved on ur computer. A)its a desktop, meaning that you either have to try and transfer it to a home computer, print out lots of pages and carry them home (expensive), or spend a looong weekend trying to balance everything. Or B)uve got a laptop - problem solved and off home for the weekend you go with all ur dirty clothes ready for some1 else to do.

I know which is more attractive to me....
Reply 7
I've never had any problems with my desktop, it all depends what you want out of it.
Reply 8
I am going to take a laptop in as I don't really have a reliable mode of transport each time I travel.
Reply 9
I think the answer is well obvious. :smile:
well done to all the morons who negative repped me for pointing out that this has been covered so many times before. if you all happy to use up the server space typing out "well, a desktop is less portable than a laptop, but a laptop is less powerful" then, well, god help us all. and in future, be big enough to put your names by the negative reps, you cowards.
Reply 11
Laptop. Just so you don't play games. Well... if you don't have a laptop like Visesh's...
Reply 12
jrhartley
well done to all the morons who negative repped me for pointing out that this has been covered so many times before. if you all happy to use up the server space typing out "well, a desktop is less portable than a laptop, but a laptop is less powerful" then, well, god help us all. and in future, be big enough to put your names by the negative reps, you cowards.

quit moaning :p: i get neg repped for stupid things as well. do you really care? (btw i didn't neg rep you - half the time i forget about rep anyway). at any rate it could have been people who didn't respond to the post.
Reply 13
Lauren
quit moaning :p: i get neg repped for stupid things as well. do you really care? (btw i didn't neg rep you - half the time i forget about rep anyway). at any rate it could have been people who didn't respond to the post.

If you are going to be using the computer alot, then perhaps a desktop is the way to go. Personally I got a desktop cos: 1) It's cheaper for good specs, and 2) because i use it a lot, a laptop would cause major pain in my wrists since the keyboards are just awkward!

If you do go for a desktop, a flatscreen is almost a must, since crt monitors take up far too much space!

There are many perks of going for a laptop, you dont have the hassle of packing it up at the start and end of each term, you just close it and you're away. But most of the time I dont think people move their laptops around, at least none of my friends do: they always keep them on their desks. There's no real need to be pulling a laptop around, unless you're a geek who likes to video their lectures like someone in compsci was doing this year :p:

In summary: for most people a laptop is ideal. If however you are going to be using a computer alot, then a desktop may be worth a look: bigger and better screens, much more comfortable to use as well!
Reply 14
!Laxy!
Which would I be better getting to take to Cambridge and why? I'm not too sure. Any advice. :smile:

I bought a laptop for Cambridge and used it in Michaelmas term. I grew tired of it fairly quickly, and brought my desktop over with no inconsiderable hassle. I prefer it because the screen is much larger, which is quite important if, like me, you tend to think through a computer and keyboard, rather than through pen and paper. It also makes watching DVDs rather more pleasurable; and the sound card is incomparably better. It really all depends how much you intend to use the thing. If you use a computer rarely, a laptop might be a better choice and more efficient use of space, as it were.
Lauren

yeah - 3 times in 3 minutes for simply pointing out that they could do a search - its a bit pathetic. I wouldn't mind if I'd actually said something controversial - I was actually trying to be helpful.
Reply 16
yeah laptop would be the best bet
Laptop, because you can walk around with it under your arm and look the part (might go well with a leather trench?)

Tbh I don't care about spec - the laptop I'm bringing in October is 3 years old, but it does me for Word and Email fine...

Only concern about a desktop is it's a bit bulky to be hulking around at the beginning and end of every term.

(Post No. 1000, and a very good one too! :congrats: )
Reply 18
Desktop.

They're much cheaper, usually harder to steal, gives less heat (whoever said that they want Laptop because they're Desktop gives too much heat off has been wrongly misinformed), are much healthier and ergonomic, I might get a good desktop and a laptop which would run a command drive linux distribution, that way I could write reports (why I'd want to write a report doing a Maths degree I don't know) outside).
Reply 19
personally i prefer my pc. Its faster than any laptop and has a decent screen. Its true though that it does turn your room into a sauna.

Latest

Trending

Trending